Stallion Choices

The Bouncing Bog Trotter

Visit site
Please can you let me know your thoughts and comments on the suitability of the stallions listed below for my mare.

Mare: 15.1hh coloured Irish cob (homozygous). 10" bone, good competition record show cob, BS and BE (with a best dressage score of 19.5 :D). Can be quite sharp.

I want to breed a 'keeper' for my old age to have fun with and to mature to no more than 15.3 as I am quite short, for low level dressage and whatever jumping we can do. Offspring must be able to get a passport with recorded sire breeding.

The short-list is:

Classics Charmeur
Solaris Buenno
Vincent II
Aimbry Chester
Bathley Hills Monet
Hilkens Charismatic
Wadacre Super Trooper

Just waiting to see who (if any of these) are going to Stallion Showcase - think I've missed seeing Classics Charmeur in the flesh though.

Many thanks in advance.

TheMule

Visit site
I've seen some lovely Aimbry Chester offspring and another to add to your list might be Uptons Deli Circus who is just a poppet and a lovely sound allround fun horse.

Classics C is very beautiful but also very naughty at Hartpury and, whilst I'd forgive a young stallion some spirit, he's a 6yr old who has been out and done a bit so he shouldnt have been nappy.

The Bouncing Bog Trotter

Visit site
I've seen some lovely Aimbry Chester offspring and another to add to your list might be Uptons Deli Circus who is just a poppet and a lovely sound allround fun horse.

Classics C is very beautiful but also very naughty at Hartpury and, whilst I'd forgive a young stallion some spirit, he's a 6yr old who has been out and done a bit so he shouldnt have been nappy.

Thank you. UDC is lovely but the clydesdale/lack of known breeding on his dam line puts me off. As my mare's breeding is unknown I think this combination may be too risky.

Having seen reports of Hartpury I had sort of read between the lines that Classics C was a bit cheeky;). High spirits are ok (ish) but napping isn't.

koeffee

Visit site
Classic C was very good at Hartpury, but the whole event may have gotten to him slightly? lovely pony, given other circumstances a quick smack bum he would of been fine, but it would put me off using him, all stallions can have off days, i have 4 they are all different!

crazycoloured

Visit site
What about a thoroughbred stallion,lots of nice ones out there and would give you the perfect allrounder,

few below-
shining spirit
wickstead digeridoo
one more tiger
groomsbridge may 1
kings composer

hippomaniac

Visit site
Classics Chameur Was a little Cheeky, but Stunning and was the sweetest boy in the stable, I was blown away by his huge movement, I would still use him.

The Bouncing Bog Trotter

Visit site
What about a thoroughbred stallion,lots of nice ones out there and would give you the perfect allrounder,

few below-
shining spirit
wickstead digeridoo
one more tiger
groomsbridge may 1
kings composer

Thanks CC but I am limited by both budget and height of stallion - otherwise One More Tiger would have been my first choice.

crazycoloured

Visit site
there is a thread on here about shining spirit,i looked him up stud fee looks quite reasonable and he's avalible via ai..and has some decent progeny,without sounding nosey,what is your budget for stud fee? may help to find something in your price bracket..

The Bouncing Bog Trotter

Visit site
Shining Spirit is 16.3hh so too big. My budget for the stallion fee is £500 max with AI costs on top.

Hmmmmmm..... Groomsbridge MayI..... like him lots and he has been suggested elsewhere.......;)

Pictures of the mare are in my profile if that helps.

crazycoloured

Visit site
She's similar to my mare,the first foal my mare had was by a 15.2 cob/hanovarian stallion who is on the chunky side.i was told to put her to a thoroughbred stallion,so i chose a buckskin event stallion with lots of thoroughbred breeding and im looking foreward to the foal arriving,groomsbridge may 1 is very nice and may well fit the bill....

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
Thanks CC but I am limited by both budget and height of stallion - otherwise One More Tiger would have been my first choice.

I wouldn't let that bother you too much as the mare dictates the size of the foal when born and your mare is only a hand smaller than him but then I am very biased towards Tiger having had him here one season and handling him daily. A true gentleman that seems to pass his genuine temperament on to his youngsters.
My four year old is proving to be a delight; she loves to work and is a very quick learner with scope while still keeping her calm temperament, we're very hopeful for her.

The Bouncing Bog Trotter

Visit site
I did send an email to the stud about One More Tiger over Christmas but didn't hear back. Will try and resend it. He is very local and I have always had a 'thing' for Java Tiger.

By the way, she is not a maiden according to my vet so the offspring will not be a wee first foal.

Exciting!

Partoow

Visit site
Bathlehills Monet has some super offspring that have done very well in the Futurity.
Very nice conformation and temperament

volatis

www.volatis.co.uk
As you want the foal to mature on the smaller side, I would stick with your list of stallins in the sort of 15hh range and also find out if they tend to throw bigger than themselves. Some stallions may only be 16hh or so but consistently add a bit of height and that is the sort of thing you want to avoid.

Sunshine

Visit site
Resurrecting thread as time for breeding season again and have been looking for a good pony stallion lol.

Bathleyhills have some absolutely fabulous ponies, and their offspring seem to be doing very well and are grading well. No Classic Charmer foals have appeared yet so not heard how he is getting on. Have seen several of the Hilkens stud ones too and they are nicely put together. However I did see one of them being quite a handful with child rider at dressage U21s clinic earlier this year, so perhaps more suited to small adult rider.

Does anyone know of any other good pony stallions that have come onto the scene over the last year?