Stallion Management

Hug

Visit site
Hello everyone,
After careful consideration I have purchased a 13yr old well behaved stallion from Spain and he should be with me next month. When i visited him if I wasn't told so I could have not known he is a stallion as he is a really calm horse (vet who performed vet check also noted that), we rode him next to mares and he was fine . I have decided against castrating him given his age and the fact that he is not used for breeding purposes . My concern now is how to best manage him at my current yard where I keep my other mare.
My question is whether he can be kept at a paddock on his own with good fencing and electric fencing if there are paddock nearby (or even next to him) with a mare? Experiences and thoughts please????

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Most male horses are not gelded in Spain, people there know how to manage them and they are kept mostly stabled. My own stallion (also Spanish) lives next door to a mare and is turned out in a paddock next to the others and is very well behaved, however each horse is an individual and you will have to see how your fellow behaves. If you are not used to stallions you may well have a bit of a steep learning curve ahead of you, but they are just horses and are not difficult unless made so as a general rule. Horses in Spain are treated with discipline, more so than is often the case in UK, so do not be surprised if your angelic horse slowly loses his halo ;-)

Ladyinred

Visit site
However laid back he seems, and yes, I have a friend who has her stallion with her two geldings and never a problem, I still think it is emotionally and mentally unfair to expect him to live adjacent to mares, especially in a paddock next to them.

Come spring when the mares are in full season and squirting and flirting with everything that moves, how do you expect him to cope? Especially since this would be 24/7, which is very different to riding out with or passing a mare.

Can you not find a gelding friend or two for him and turn them out away from mareish influences?

cbmcts

Visit site
Sadly, I think you are going to struggle on a standard livery yard - other liveries are either going to think that he is a devil incarnate or be so careless with their tarty squirty in season mares that he will be driven insane - there doesn't seem to be any inbetween behaviour IME.

I'm not saying that stallions can't be easily managed or that they are dangerous but they do need everybody around to understand that they are entire and will be interested in the laydees especially when the laydees are interested in them ;) Once he is out of the very regimented Spanish style of keeping - turnout is minimal if not nonexistent and discipline is strictly enforced you may find his manners slip a little. If people are being careless too you could have a problem on your hands...he will also have to gradually accustomed to grass too as his gut won't be used to it.

Really, if he was mine I would talk to a good vet about what gelding involves for an older horse. This would be a good time of year to do it, no flies, fewer slapper mares :) and a good chance to bond with him on the ground before getting him going under saddle. While it wouldn't mean that he could go out into a mixed herd this year (maybe never, he's not going to have a huge amount of horsey social skills probably) it would give you a lot more options as far as yards, shows and clinics in the future.

cundlegreen

Visit site
Whats the problem with gelding him? He's not too old, and shouldn't lose his stallion build. Why make a problem for yourself, if you're not going to use him as a stallion. I agree with Cortez about stallions in Spain. The Spanish Riding School in Jerez have up to 120 stallions there, all kept in close proximity. However, they are very experienced in handling them in a matter of fact way, which isn't usually the case over here. I own a stallion myself and although he is a saint in work, I couldn't turn him out with geldings due to there being mares here as well. He would simply chase them through the fence.

Prince33Sp4rkle

Visit site
Gelding an older horse is not that more complex, chat to your vet.

He needs to be turned out with at least an acre of space and double fencing between him and mares IMO, and that's double fencing at least 5'5 high on strong electric but even so I don't think I would feel happy leaving him unattended and certainly not overnight unless he has a proper (6'6 min and wooden) stallion paddock.

I have a 3yo stallion at home but we only have geldings, no mares. He is seperated from them by 5'7 elec fence but the fence that seperates him from the public (our boundary fence) is 5'5 post and rail with 3ft electric on top so that if some daft pillock let's their squirty mare amble past at snails pace, he is safely contained. You would not know he is a stallion either.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Is it really fair to keep stallions 'entire' that will never be used for breeding? Are they not destined to live a life of constant frustration?

Nightmare before Christmas

Visit site
I work at a stud, even the most well behaved stallions are still stallions. It's all about using your common sense, taking the right precautions and having the correct facilities. Though stallions in for stud will act up more than stallions kept at home for competing but I treat them the same. Don't give them an inch. I love stallions though, so long as they deserve to keep their tackle

tiggipop

Visit site
ok.. here goes...

I have an 8 year old Friesian stallion... he is kept and treated just like any of my others ...BUT I only have geldings and they are kept at home. there are no other horses within a couple of miles of me... although there is a bridlepath that runs through the middle of my property.. (but due to the road at the one end being very busy with HGV's I think there is only 1 person that risks hacking along it !)

he does have individual turnout (because he is shod ) - my fields are either post and rail with electric on top or well established thick hedges.. I do run a secondary electric tape inside which ever field my "boy" is in as a safety net. He is stabled in the barn with the others...

when friends brings mares to ride (the barn also houses my indoor school) he is perfectly behaved and my wash down area is outside his stable... I do ask that if mares are in season they do not get tied up / washed down as I honestly don't think that is fair on him... Nature intended that mating occurs when mares are in season.. and I do not want him getting himself in a tizz in his stable.

I am guessing that you have only recently seen your new lad.. so probably no mares in season at the time. I am also a little surprised that your yard owner / manager is ok with you keeping him on a normal livery yard.. mainly due to the fact that most people think stallions are fire breathing child eating monsters.....
And he might be the most perfectly behaved gentleman on this earth but you still have to be 100% sure that some one else wont "forget" he is entire and take their horse (mare) up to him to say hello!

saying all that.. would not be parted from mine for anything.... but would / will geld him if hormones start ruling his head and make him difficult to handle ... but again will say that I have extremely strict rules and not one of the horses are allowed to cross the line! & I have known him since he was 2

StormyMoments

Visit site
I have a stallion (also Spanish), he is kept on a livery yard with 5 mares and 5 geldings. He is stabled next to a mare. The horses near him in the field tend to change about, at the moment he has a gelding directly next to him and a mare a field up. During the summer most of the horses are moved onto another part of the yard and he is just next to a gelding. He is never turned out 24/7, he has the ordinary fencing that all the others have plus 5ft electric fencing on the inside. He is well behaved and always has been. He is completely in love with one of the geldings on the yard but takes no notice of the mares. He is often tied on the yard with other horses going past and he is often lead behind any horse that is tied on the yard. He is never lead in anything but a head collar. You do have to keep on top of their manners, give them an inch they will take a mile and the Spanish are hot on manners (unlike us sometimes) so they will lose some of their quiet and easy to do mannerisms if you don't keep on top of their behaviour. Not all horses are the same though so what may bother one horse, may not bother another.

I must also say that mine has never been used for breeding purposes.

Also, another note - you will struggle to find livery for a stallion, should you ever need to move.

pennyturner

Visit site
Is it really fair to keep stallions 'entire' that will never be used for breeding? Are they not destined to live a life of constant frustration?

Only if you stable them 24/7, keep them away from other horses and treat them like monsters!
Mine are out in a herd with geldings and if they get any calmer they'll fall over :D

catroo

Visit site
The issue you'll have is finding suitable livery

I have one stallion, two colts and two geldings all out together on a small livery yard. The boys are in a field away from the rest but are stabled in the yard with others. My boys are well behaved and are use to being around other horses with no loss of manners, I have more issues with the other liveries!

Recently I was at the yard and heard one of my boys squealing, a fellow livery had come back for a ride and let her gelding put his head over the stable door to say hello to one of the colts while she was still on him with feet out of the stirrups and washing line reins. I was not amused

She just couldn't comprehend how stupid that was

fburton

Visit site
Given that many stallions "in the wild" will never get to breed, I think it is a natural condition to which they adapt just fine. Research has shown that when stallions are kept together in groups that mimic bachelor bands their hormonal status alters towards less testosterone (or stays lower, depending on previous exposure to breeding mares), with consequent effects on sex drive and aggressiveness. So I don't think they necessarily are condemned to a life of frustration.

However, that's when stallions are living together and apart from mares. If a stallion lives close to mares or is regularly exposed to them, the situation can indeed get frustrating for them. Some are okay with it, others aren't - it's an individual thing.

To OP, I would say: give it a go if you really must, but be prepared to geld him if it looks like he's not doing so well in his new environment or if starts becoming more of a handful than you expected. Good luck.

pip6

Visit site
I've been on a livery yard where there was a stallion. Have to say main problem was the mare owners, they just couldn't be bothered to take sensible measures. They constantly lead their mares just out of his reach in front his box, even when they were in season. Or they'd tie them close by, stand in front his stable to get something from the tack room (which was next to him). He used to get get understandably wound up, then they'd move the mares off leaving him a mess behind. Many people have no stallion experience, so you will have to spell out the rules on how to behave around him and make sure they are adhered to.

We've also kept a stallion at home with a band of mares and a gelding. He lived out with his gelding son, loved each other. Standard fencing with a line of electric above it. Never had an issue, even with the mares next to him. Had stable (when it was used) on yard with mares, though there was a walkway between his and the other boxes. He was very chilled out, because he worked hard as well as bred. His manners were impeccable, working and in hand. He used to cover loose as he was so gentlemanly with his mares. Not bad for a 15.3hh pure bred arabian stallion.

Can't recommend enough you go to a good stud and learn how to manage a stallion before your one arrives. The was I describe it, geldings are beige in comparison, but you have to love colour. Your boy will at some point test you, and you need to know how to cope. You can't throw your weight around with a stallion like you can get away with with a gelding, but you have to work with them earning their respect for your leadership. You need the confidence and answers before that day happens, or it will be too late and your well mannered horse may change character.

pennyturner

Visit site
Given that many stallions "in the wild" will never get to breed, I think it is a natural condition to which they adapt just fine. Research has shown that when stallions are kept together in groups that mimic bachelor bands their hormonal status alters towards less testosterone (or stays lower, depending on previous exposure to breeding mares), with consequent effects on sex drive and aggressiveness.

^^ this is my boys. If they were teenagers, they'd be nerds.
A large grey once came on to my little Dartie at a hunt meet. He quite literally shat himself and couldn't get away fast enough.

freckles22uk

www.foxykeepsakes.co.uk
Ive got a stallion (appaloosa) and have him here in Spain, but unlike the Spanish mine lives out 24/7 ( the Spanish do tend to stable 24/7 unless being ridden) Mine lives next to my 2 mares, just wooden fencing with electric on the inside, (on those extender things fixed to the fence) and hes quite happy, but hes never known any different, one of the mares is his mum, and the other he has known all his life ( as I bred him) He can touch them over the front gate (no electric) and they always have an hello, when I bring the mares back from the grazing every evening, hes a very laid back horse.. but Ive been firm but fair with him ( he has been used for breeding)

But as someone has said they are all different, and you will need to be firm but fair if you keep him entire,

Im planning to move back to the UK with mine, and i know it would be a nightmare trying to find a place to keep him, so Im planning to buy my own land, though I would be prepared to geld if I really needed to..

pennyturner

Visit site

Certainly not if they're not teased by mares. Mine are in a bachelor herd. They do see mares from time to time out hacking, but pay them little heed. They enjoy life fully without any of that funny business :p

GemG

Visit site
i have a stallion on DIY livery, strange situation and long story...

BUT he is genuinely one of a kind and is quieter than some of the others on the yard to be fair. He is now 21 years and has been used for breeding on and off over the years, in hand covering and running.

He is treated firmly and respectfully, but again we have known each other since he was 3, so we have kind of grown up together and I know him inside out.

Hardest thing - once you have found a livery yard who will take you is turnout.

Other posters on here have dished out good advice I would say, enjoy your boy!

Sparkles

Visit site
A well mannered stallion is no different to any other horse in day to day aspects - other than the obvious difference.

Mine is kept on a mixed yard and riding school, and was on a diy yard previous to that. Never once had an issue with him. He is kept the same as every other, can be around mares and pays no attention, turns out with the geldings and can even be used in lessons. There is another Spanish stallion kept on the yard also who is exactly the same more or less.

So yes, with common sense management, instilled manners all the time and a good temperament - it can be possible without too much drama and stress. It comes down to the right horse and the right yard though.

A more major concern for me would be how he will cope in general to the changes over here - more turnout, lush grass, etc.

Good luck!

GemG

Visit site
A well mannered stallion is no different to any other horse in day to day aspects - other than the obvious difference.

Mine is kept on a mixed yard and riding school, and was on a diy yard previous to that. Never once had an issue with him. He is kept the same as every other, can be around mares and pays no attention, turns out with the geldings and can even be used in lessons. There is another Spanish stallion kept on the yard also who is exactly the same more or less.

So yes, with common sense management, instilled manners all the time and a good temperament - it can be possible without too much drama and stress. It comes down to the right horse and the right yard though.

A more major concern for me would be how he will cope in general to the changes over here - more turnout, lush grass, etc.

Good luck!

Totally agree. I let a girl use mine for a riding school camp as her pony was ill - he behaved impeccably and did everything alongside the others without question, including a busy quadrille ride with all sorts of other horses and riders. But all under the watchful eyes of instructors etc. But he is truly a saint.

It will just be harder for you as you have to ask get to know your new boy on a new yard etc, but it is perfectly manageable with the right horse, place and if you have
Lots of common sense!

Yes of course I see the gelding point of view, ie just geld it. But that won't always guarantee non stallion behaviour of course. The choice is yours.

Mine gets threatened with getting gelded when he is being daft! but I'm only joking! He has made it to 21 years with his bits, he can keep them lol!

madlady

Visit site
Personally I would keep him entire for a while and see how he settles - if he doesn't adapt well then he isn't too old to be gelded.

I had my friesian stallion gelded last year mainly for turnout reasons. We had had 2, him and his younger sibling and they used to go out together quite happily, our mares were turned out in another field quite a way away but the boys got daily turnout where we could keep an eye on them. We sadly lost our younger colt and as we didn't plan on getting any more we took the decision to have him gelded so that at least he could go out as he wasn't happy being turned out on his own.