Stallion recommendations - ID mare

Bramblebear

Visit site
I am looking to put my mare in foal next year and want to be prepared on stallion choice (so that I can make plans to see the stallions/offspring). My mare is pure ID, grey, 17hh, with King of Diamonds and Skippy lines. She has decent bone, relatively narrow/slightly sporty type (which I like), with a good temperament.

I am breeding the foal for my personal use, that is smart to look at with a calm and trainable temperament to hunt in the winter and do low-level dressage in the summer. 16hh plus, colour unimportant.

The only stallion I had in mind was Avanti Amorous Archie, but does anyone else have any recommendations? I would like to see more than one. Does not have to be full ID, but temperament and trainability are key as this horse will be home produced.

ihatework

Visit site
If be inclined to either go full ID or full TB personally.
I can't help on the ID front but if you were thinking more along the lines of IDxTB then the one that springs to mind would be Sula Blue.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
With a pure id mare I would be heading for Archie. Perfect match for an all round horse that is likely to be very smart and move well. Archie puts his temperament, looks and movement into his RID mares.

I looked at Sirens Missile a while ago, very nice type if you want the TB x ID cross and not overly big.

scottyg

Visit site
Stanley Grange stud are standing a lovely ID this year, not sure for how many years though. They also have up with the lark, who is very very nice. so it may be worth your while taking a trip up to north Yorkshire to visit them

KautoStar1

Visit site
I know everyone loves Archie (as I do too) but there are some other very nice stallions on the register. I really like Hillview Farm Milligan and Silver Wind Twister looks a smart lad. He was on parade last season at the ID show and seemed a very level headed stallion. Aye Aye Skipper is also worth a look.

There are also some deceased stallions on the list but with frozen semen available. Alices Diamond Slipper was a very nice type. As was Silver Jasper.

You'd need to check out their lines, not sure if they would cross with your mare.

There are also some nice TBs out there too which would make an ideal cross with an ID mare.

Personally I don't get the ID x Arab idea at all, although Janet certainly knows her stuff. For me two very different types and would have thought the end result would be a bit of an odd shape !

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Historically, arabs have been used to 'improve' IE add blood to other breeds. It's not a new idea at all (think of how arabs were used to create the TB, for example), it is tried and tested. Putting blood over bone, is a very traditional thing to do. The OP wants something with a nice temperament that is trainable, shorter than the mare and moves nicely enough for low level dressage. I don't see how Is Orlow Ox doesn't meet that criteria, or would produce an odd shaped offspring when his conformation is so fundamentally and universally correct?

Alec Swan

Visit site
There are some suggestions on here which are undoubtably supporting some very nice stallions.

Were your mare mine and were I breeding to keep, then considering her size and what would probably be her accompanying substance, I'd probably go for a TB and one that's known to produce decent stock. Just consider how many cracking horses come out of Suffolks, Percherons and the ID mares when put to decent TBs. I'm convinced that with the right mare, you can almost use a donkey, but with the wrong mare, you can take her to Sea The Stars, and you would be disappointed.

I'm not sure which stallions are standing with Groomsbridge Stud at the moment, but there will most certainly be something that's decent, affordable, and will produce what you're looking to breed.

Good luck, and do let us know which path you take and the result, please! :)

Alec.

Bramblebear

Visit site
Thank you all for your suggestions. There is a lot to think about. I will post some photos of my mare shortly, although I'm not sure I have got any of her standing straight they will give you an idea of her type.

I am quite tempted to cross her with a bit of 'blood', probably a TB. She is the sportier/lighter side of an ID and I like that. My concern with crossing her with a pure ID is that I could end up with something larger and heavier than I would like for a horse to keep.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Thank you all for your suggestions. There is a lot to think about. I will post some photos of my mare shortly, although I'm not sure I have got any of her standing straight they will give you an idea of her type.

I am quite tempted to cross her with a bit of 'blood', probably a TB. She is the sportier/lighter side of an ID and I like that. My concern with crossing her with a pure ID is that I could end up with something larger and heavier than I would like for a horse to keep.

maybe an Anglo Arab would work if you want to add some refinement and something a bit finer.

no_no_nanette

Visit site
There are some very nice ISH, TBs or TB X stallions standing in Ireland currently : have a look at Imperial Tiger (Puissance x Kings Servant) who is in his first year of standing and has an impressive international record; Barbara Hatton at Slyguff is getting some lovely (and very flashy!) stock from Pointilliste (Giants Casuseway xx X Alydar xx), and if anyone should know she should!; and there is a very nice but rather overlooked coloured stallion who is an Advanced eventer in his own right standing in Northern Ireland, Glenhill Gold, with Cullen Equine Solutions. Also Well Chosen (Sadlers Wells X Kris) with Kedrah Stud in Ireland. In the UK, how about the TB Sula Blue, again with an impressive eventing record of his own and some nice progeny hitting the ground; Amiro Z, Amigo Toss xx X Ramiro Z (over here for this season and available through Elite Stallions. I bred a very nice hunter/eventer by him out of an ISH mare a few years back).

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
What a nice mare. :D

I know the photo isn't completely side on, but from it I would personally want to avoid a stallion that doesn't have really good angled hocks (so nothing on the straighter side) and a lovely, sloping shoulder.

Bramblebear

Visit site

I know the photo isn't completely side on, but from it I would personally want to avoid a stallion that doesn't have really good angled hocks (so nothing on the straighter side) and a lovely, sloping shoulder.

Thanks!

You are spot on with the hocks. Definitely something I will be looking at improving.

I think I am most likely going to go with something lighter as opposed to a full draft. TB-wise I like the suggestion of Sula Blue and I also like the look of One More Tiger.

Whilst not sure on crossing to a full arab, I'm quite interested in the idea of an Anglo Arab stallion if anyone has any recommendations.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Apart from Persiflage, there's Vekaam who is also an anglo-arab and Yawl Hillbilly is a nice performance PBA, his dam was 7/8th TB IIRC. The tobiano PBA Incandescent Flame is a nice stallion too. Those are the ones that spring to mind, I pay more attention to purebreds, so I'm sure that someone will come along with more knowledge about part breds than me.

Alec Swan

Visit site

She is indeed a decent sort, and I'd bet that in real life she's probably nicer than her 'portrait'! :)

She also, as you say probably has rather straight hocks, but nothing compared with a youngster which I once bred who was by Cummer Hero an ID. I 'phoned a friend of a friend who had once been a travelling head lad and asked if it would bother him. "Not in the least" he relied, and the horse went on to jump to a very high level. I somewhere have a pic of him being loose jumped over a 5" pole as a 5 yo and he was jumping off sawdust which was hock-deep (almost!).

Sickle hocks would bother me, but overly straight wouldn't.

Looking at the pic, she isn't a heavy ID so I remain of the opinion that a TB with substance (sic!) should suit her very well.

Alec.

Springs

Visit site
Why not have a look at Springs Spirit, he is 75% tb with the rest made up of ID and AA which sounds ideal for your mare. He will be at the StallionAI open day on the 23 April in Shropshire along with 30 other stallions. Let us know if you need any further information.

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
Both Sula Blue and One More Tiger are good choices. I have a OMT mare, admittedly full TB but has a fantastic temperament (like him) and has been fabulously easy for an amateur to produce with a fantastic pop, she comes alive when she's jumping but moves equally well for dressage although she finds it boring!

There's a lovely young stallion at Embla Stud near Stafford; Embla Top Gear. He's by Maurice Minor (ID by Colman RID) out of a Ballinvella mare who did many seasons as a huntsman's horse. He's not a heavy type at all, very scopey. Maurice has produced many good performance horses in all disciplines including Advanced dressage and eventing and Grade A's. One of Maurice's fillies, Tara (proud to say I bred her out of an almost TB mare) was twelfth in the 4 yr old Osberton Young Event Horse Championships last year; would have been sixth except for her one and only pole down all year!

I've seen Spring's young horse with Hannah Bates and he's a bit special too; well worth a look.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Thanks!

You are spot on with the hocks. Definitely something I will be looking at improving.

I think I am most likely going to go with something lighter as opposed to a full draft. TB-wise I like the suggestion of Sula Blue and I also like the look of One More Tiger.

Whilst not sure on crossing to a full arab, I'm quite interested in the idea of an Anglo Arab stallion if anyone has any recommendations.

sunray scelebrity is a really nice Anglo Arab his at the sunray stud, she is a really lovely mare I agree about going with something lighter I think she will throw something very nice let us know what's you go with :)

Asha

Visit site
Both Sula Blue and One More Tiger are good choices. I have a OMT mare, admittedly full TB but has a fantastic temperament (like him) and has been fabulously easy for an amateur to produce with a fantastic pop, she comes alive when she's jumping but moves equally well for dressage although she finds it boring!

There's a lovely young stallion at Embla Stud near Stafford; Embla Top Gear. He's by Maurice Minor (ID by Colman RID) out of a Ballinvella mare who did many seasons as a huntsman's horse. He's not a heavy type at all, very scopey. Maurice has produced many good performance horses in all disciplines including Advanced dressage and eventing and Grade A's. One of Maurice's fillies, Tara (proud to say I bred her out of an almost TB mare) was twelfth in the 4 yr old Osberton Young Event Horse Championships last year; would have been sixth except for her one and only pole down all year!

I've seen Spring's young horse with Hannah Bates and he's a bit special too; well worth a look.

It's a very small world, I was drooling over Tara the other day, she's my sort of horse. Lovely.

As for springs spirit, he is lovely. Charlotte Clewlow has one of his daughters in for backing / producing she is absolutely lovely. Taking everything in her stride. Another one I'd pinch

Last edited:

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
It's a very small world, I was drooling over Tara the other day, she's my sort of horse. Lovely.

As for springs spirit, he is lovely. Charlotte Clewlow has one of his daughters in for backing / producing she is absolutely lovely. Taking everything in her stride. Another one I'd pinch

LOL, it is indeed! Thank you, T is a bit special, so proud of her and CC. Yes, seen that one, Katie?, she's stunning.

Pinkvboots

Visit site