Stallion selection inspiration!

Rmarshmallow

Visit site
Hi
I’m thinking about putting my wonderful mare in foal through ET over the next one to two years. However her breeding is totally unrecorded so I’m finding it hard to know where to start in my search for the right stallion.

She came over from Ireland on a white passport and I can only she is some sort of ISH/perhaps cob mix, but who knows.

I use her to event at grassroots level and would be planning to do the same with her offspring. So I don’t need something that’s aiming to jump round a 5*, just good confirmation with a trainable sensible attitude to life really.

My mare is 15.2hh. I don’t necessarily want more bone or more blood, something middle weight and nothing massively bigger.

does anyone have any suggestions/inspiration to share?
Picture of said mare below

TIA

Attachments

• 6F144F0C-4C4B-4FCC-9D63-299D7D01B56A.jpeg
    6F144F0C-4C4B-4FCC-9D63-299D7D01B56A.jpeg
    140.8 KB · Views: 48

Rmarshmallow

Visit site
Why do you want to breed her rather than just buy another horse?

because my mare has the most amazing temperament in a horse I ever come across so I would love the opportunity to keep some of her genetics going as well as the opportunity to have a self-produced home bred

stangs

Visit site
Not personally, no, but the one CBx I knew was a gentleman and I do think it's a shame that they're losing out to continental breeds.

ihatework

Visit site
If you are going to do this (I get the sentimental reasons but do go in with your eyes and wallet wide open) then I would only consider a TB. Reason being you have absolutely no idea of her genetics and therefore don’t want to risk breeding to close or getting some weird and wonderful throwback

TheMule

Visit site
If her temperament is what you want to recreate the most then I would suggest you let her carry her own foal rather than doing ET. I've done ET a couple of times and they very much have the temperament of the recipient mare,

With regards to choosing a stallion, you really need to assess her conformation with a very objective eye to try to get an idea of what you need to improve on. After that, pick a stallion out there doing the job you want and that you want to get on and ride- if it ends up just like him then you're quids in

Rmarshmallow

Visit site
If you are going to do this (I get the sentimental reasons but do go in with your eyes and wallet wide open) then I would only consider a TB. Reason being you have absolutely no idea of her genetics and therefore don’t want to risk breeding to close or getting some weird and wonderful throwback

yes thank you I will be doing.

interesting views re tbs, will definitely be a consideration as I have come across some very lovely tbs over my time

Rmarshmallow

Visit site
If her temperament is what you want to recreate the most then I would suggest you let her carry her own foal rather than doing ET. I've done ET a couple of times and they very much have the temperament of the recipient mare,

With regards to choosing a stallion, you really need to assess her conformation with a very objective eye to try to get an idea of what you need to improve on. After that, pick a stallion out there doing the job you want and that you want to get on and ride- if it ends up just like him then you're quids in

yes I definitely think the nature vs nurture argument is worth considering.
My mare will be 12 this time round and is a maiden and she just means far too much to me to risk it, but I’m not writing anything off at this stage.
But yes I agree with all the points you make

TheMule

Visit site
yes I definitely think the nature vs nurture argument is worth considering.
My mare will be 12 this time round and is a maiden and she just means far too much to me to risk it, but I’m not writing anything off at this stage.
But yes I agree with all the points you make

I did ET from my very precious mare the first time round and, to be perfectly honest, whilst I adored her foal (sadly lost her at 18 months), her own foal that she carried 4 years later is far superior in every way and much more like her.

Rmarshmallow

Visit site
I did ET from my very precious mare the first time round and, to be perfectly honest, whilst I adored her foal (sadly lost her at 18 months), her own foal that she carried 4 years later is far superior in every way and much more like her.

Very interesting to hear, thank you for sharing your thoughts

Sandales

Visit site
Mark Fitton at New Hill Farm stud has a new TB stallion this year and would be very knowledgeable in helping you select a suitable stallion for your mare, he also has an ID and Connemara stallions.

If you would consider an ID stallion Bowland have a smaller stallion I think 15.2 called Hillview farm Trevelyan and they also have Classic Scot who is about 16.1 I think but is nice and athletic, I saw him at his old home in Scotland and he seemed to have a nice Temperament.

Skip and Sea, Irish Mist and Winmuar Sergeant Pepper are smaller Irish draughts. Skip and Sea is very proven with his offspring, Irish Mist is said to be scopey. With ID stallions graded under the new system you can check there inspection reports on the Idhs GB website for confirmation marks. Trudy Goulding who stands Irish Mist usually also stands a TB stallion and other types.

Bazaars stud have stallions that may suit. I have not had direct dealings with them though but they have a reputation for horses with good temperaments that are ideal for leisure riders.

Rmarshmallow

Visit site
Mark Fitton at New Hill Farm stud has a new TB stallion this year and would be very knowledgeable in helping you select a suitable stallion for your mare, he also has an ID and Connemara stallions.

If you would consider an ID stallion Bowland have a smaller stallion I think 15.2 called Hillview farm Trevelyan and they also have Classic Scot who is about 16.1 I think but is nice and athletic, I saw him at his old home in Scotland and he seemed to have a nice Temperament.

Skip and Sea, Irish Mist and Winmuar Sergeant Pepper are smaller Irish draughts. Skip and Sea is very proven with his offspring, Irish Mist is said to be scopey. With ID stallions graded under the new system you can check there inspection reports on the Idhs GB website for confirmation marks. Trudy Goulding who stands Irish Mist usually also stands a TB stallion and other types.

Bazaars stud have stallions that may suit. I have not had direct dealings with them though but they have a reputation for horses with good temperaments that are ideal for leisure riders.

thank you! Yes I had already got Classic Scot, skip and sea and also bazaars chief on my long list actually so good to hear other feedback on them.

will do some other investigation in the contacts you’ve mentioned, very useful thank you

Rmarshmallow

Visit site
Has anyone got any reviews of WG stud in Bicester I think they run an AES stallion Carthago Chicago that I’m interested in so if anyone has come across them I would love to hear how you’ve got on.

sport horse

Visit site
I have done ET with a couple of top competition mares, using the best vets in UK used to this work. I have spent tens of thousands of pounds and I have yet to have a foal. Both mares have foaled naturally. We have transferred several embryos but they have all 'gone' very quickly.

Personally I would not even consider it again. I would wait till she is forced to have a break or retires and then try to have a foal naturally.

volatis

www.volatis.co.uk
For a mare with unknown breeding, I would look at stallions with less of a mix in their breeding, so you have a good idea what you might get. So a Thoroughbred would be a good start or another closed studbook (Trakehner etc). There is a stallion show at Arena UK in 2 weeks which would be a good chance to have a look at what is available, see the stallions in their stable and in the arena and there are usually some repro vets/companies there so you could chat to them about ET

Rmarshmallow

Visit site
For a mare with unknown breeding, I would look at stallions with less of a mix in their breeding, so you have a good idea what you might get. So a Thoroughbred would be a good start or another closed studbook (Trakehner etc). There is a stallion show at Arena UK in 2 weeks which would be a good chance to have a look at what is available, see the stallions in their stable and in the arena and there are usually some repro vets/companies there so you could chat to them about ET
Thank you! Yes I’m hoping to make it to the Stallion show, I have a few there that I would like to see

Sandales

Visit site
Just another thought what about Wessex Starring Role. Not sure where you are or if distance is a consideration for you.

When I bred from my cross bred ( but known breeding) mare I was strongly advised to go for a pure bred sire as it does marginally limit the randomness.
So I second tb. There are some really nice (temperament) about.
I like Universal, although I’ve not met him in the flesh.

I might have to have a look at Universal. I have a graded ID mare who I am thinking about stallions potentially for her.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
You are proposing breeding from a mare with unknown breeding, and primarily for temperament? Well good luck with that!

A couple of considerations: I wouldn't go to a TB for temperament, nor a Trakehner for that matter (and I used to breed Trakehners.....), and Cleveland Bays are not known for their cooperative nature.

Embryo transfer is a massively expensive way to produce a foal.

If you want to keep the size small, and since you don't know the mare's genetic makeup, you could try an Arab sire if you want a bit of refinement and concentrated breed type. I have trained a couple of Irish Draught (dam) X Arab (sire) that were really lovely to work with, solid and on the small size. Another option may be a Connemara, but make sure you know the type of get and their dispositions; there can be some fiery Connemaras too.

I wish you luck, you will need it, along with deep pockets.

I'm Dun

Visit site
If you want to keep the size small, and since you don't know the mare's genetic makeup, you could try an Arab sire if you want a bit of refinement and concentrated breed type. I have trained a couple of Irish Draught (dam) X Arab (sire) that were really lovely to work with, solid and on the small size.

I really like the idea of an arab. I'm sure there must be some decent performance bred arab stallions standing

tristar

Visit site
for that mare i would look at anglo arab, to get two shots of very potent blood influencing the foal

she `looks` from that photo to be compactish, and a nice type, a type that may be compatible visually with AA, so with her temp a nice prospect

have a good look round at any progeny of potential stallions to see if they stamp their stock, for predictability of the end result

many years ago there was an AA stallion and you could just pick out his stock all over the place cause they looked just like dad!