Stallion suggestions please!

mariusonsimage

New User
Visit site
Hi,

I want to breed a first foal from my Intermediate event mare. She is brave, bold and trainable but tense and doesn't have the greatest jump. She's about 80% blood (by Primitive Rising and out of advanced event mare).

I'm hoping to improve on the jump as much as possible and get something that moves well/freely.

Hope to event the foal to a similar level (intermediate) or more but also jump some 1.30s.

Any stallion suggestions? I'm thinking the ideal would be a jumping stallion but that moves really well and is calm! Mare can provide the blood and the boldness. (If only it worked like that 😂). Ideas would be great!

Thanks!

ihatework

Visit site
Sounds like a lovely mare.
Conformation wise what do you want to add?
Are you looking British or happy for European?
Any lines you particularly do or don’t like?

TheMule

Visit site
What a lovely mare to own- you have tonnes of options! I agree with using a good jumping stallion.
A lot of pros are using Diamant De Semilly sons very successfully
Diarado makes them smaller and pretty with tonnes of quality
Dourkhan Hero is super athletic and smart, with a bit more height
I love my Escape Z (Emerald) who I used on my Intermediate mare, he is small and very pingy with the very best character.
Or something like-
Amiro Z if you don’t mind a tall one
Contendro for really valuable Contendor blood, and they move well

mariusonsimage

New User
Visit site
Thanks so much for your suggestions! I love Diarado and was wondering if I could cough up for the stud fee but great to have some other ideas. Just watched a video of Escape Z - what a cool little horse! I love that pingy jump and would love to feel that again after many years of horses that jump very economically! I'll def look at him more. Wouldn't want something too small but i'm small enough to ride a little horse (mine only 16.1) and if it jumps like that i wouldn't mind!

I'll look up the others - don't know Contendro either and like the look in a quick google.

Great suggestions - i like just like the type/look of these too so if you have any more suggestions in this vein I'd be really grateful. Also if you have any thoughts on British stallions - not averse to a European stallion but it would be nice to at least look at the UK options too. Thanks so much for taking the time to reply :)

mariusonsimage

New User
Visit site
What a lovely mare to own- you have tonnes of options! I agree with using a good jumping stallion.
A lot of pros are using Diamant De Semilly sons very successfully
Diarado makes them smaller and pretty with tonnes of quality
Dourkhan Hero is super athletic and smart, with a bit more height
I love my Escape Z (Emerald) who I used on my Intermediate mare, he is small and very pingy with the very best character.
Or something like-
Amiro Z if you don’t mind a tall one
Contendro for really valuable Contendor blood, and they move well
Thanks so much for your suggestions! I love Diarado and was wondering if I could cough up for the stud fee but great to have some other ideas. Just watched a video of Escape Z - what a cool little horse! I love that pingy jump and would love to feel that again after many years of horses that jump very economically! I'll def look at him more. Wouldn't want something too small but i'm small enough to ride a little horse (mine only 16.1) and if it jumps like that i wouldn't mind!

I'll look up the others - don't know Contendro either and like the look in a quick google.

Great suggestions - i like just like the type/look of these too so if you have any more suggestions in this vein I'd be really grateful. Also if you have any thoughts on British stallions - not averse to a European stallion but it would be nice to at least look at the UK options too. Thanks so much for taking the time to reply :)

mariusonsimage

New User
Visit site

ps never used this forum before and didn't use the 'reply' function at first - hope i'm not making this thread too confusing!

mariusonsimage

New User
Visit site

Hi, thanks for taking the time to reply! Happy with European but keen to know if there are any good suitable options in the UK (is there a good reason to stick to UK?!). I don't know enough to say what lines i like but I like Diarado for his pretty, light-weight look. I liked the look of Comfort at the Caunton stud but don't know if he moves all that brilliantly and don't know enough to tell whether his jump is really good without the horse having form: I'm used to looking at thoroughbreds so all showjumpers look good over a fence to me!

ihatework

Visit site
I have to say I’m not massively convinced by Comfort.

Of UK (alive) jumping stallions I’d consider the old boy J’Taime Flamenco.

More Eventing/jumping potentially Cobra. Or frozen from Cevin Z?

Im biased but I have a Diarado due in 3 weeks! I’ve also bred a Balou du Rouet but I’d be cautious recommend him on a tense mare.

mariusonsimage

New User
Visit site
I have to say I’m not massively convinced by Comfort.

Of UK (alive) jumping stallions I’d consider the old boy J’Taime Flamenco.

More Eventing/jumping potentially Cobra. Or frozen from Cevin Z?

Im biased but I have a Diarado due in 3 weeks! I’ve also bred a Balou du Rouet but I’d be cautious recommend him on a tense mare.
Great thanks! Yes the more research I do the lower comfort goes down my list. I have a rising 3 Yr old by Cevin z and she's enormous (from 15 hand mare) - will be too big for me, plus I'm keen on the lighter looking stallions ideally. I'll look at cobra and j'taime f. Thanks!

TheMule

Visit site

I chose him because I wanted to get on and jump him myself, and luckily I have a rising 6yr old who gives me that same feeling. I knew I couldn’t sit one of the huge power jumpers, especially not coming down a large drop fence:eek: but I did want the ping off the floor as that’s what my mare lacked a bit.
I have a friend with a nice Je T'aime. He was a bit old fashioned for my mare but he is making nice sorts. Comfort doesn’t have enough jump for me, he's too tight behind. I have another friend with a nice (but tall!) Chrysler Key filly crossed onto a Jaguar Mail mare, she used him to improve the jump.
It's such a personal choice, just go with what makes your heart sing

Springs

Visit site
Hi Why not take a look at Ansie, a full TB that’s proven on the track, but you’d think he was a WB the way he and the youngstock jump. Oldest youngstock now competing at 4* in eventing with an amateur rider. They have also been sold across Europe and the USA. Ansiei is at West Kington Stud.

another option is Venterprise by the great Voltaire super jump and 55% blood 🩸

good luck

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
I have a comfort filly that is stunning however she is out of a Concorde mare that had plenty of jump.
Gone with Sligo Candy boy this time...
That’s a brave choice 😬 I have seen a lot in Ireland and the Balou is strong in them. They are beautiful but sharp as shit. They are on my don’t touch list and I ride stupid idiots with my safe horse being the ex racer. I am off to ireland next week horse shopping.

dominobrown

Visit site
That’s a brave choice 😬 I have seen a lot in Ireland and the Balou is strong in them. They are beautiful but sharp as shit. They are on my don’t touch list and I ride stupid idiots with my safe horse being the ex racer. I am off to ireland next week horse shopping.
The mare has an exceptional temperament, which she has very much passed to her first foal. Her mum would literally jump 1.20 course then let a 6 year old child learn to do rising trot on her. She was quite good on a lead rein 😂
Heard that Balous can be sharp but mare was literally the most perfectly behaved horse, no one ever felt unsafe on her, she’s a brilliant happy hacker.
what are you getting looking for in Ireland?

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
The mare has an exceptional temperament, which she has very much passed to her first foal. Her mum would literally jump 1.20 course then let a 6 year old child learn to do rising trot on her. She was quite good on a lead rein 😂
Heard that Balous can be sharp but mare was literally the most perfectly behaved horse, no one ever felt unsafe on her, she’s a brilliant happy hacker.
what are you getting looking for in Ireland?
Smart 4yo to store with a view that it’s either sold or kept in 2024 and a project with big feet type that 90% of people who compete can actually ride and have fun on. No mares! Though again for the 4yo I might take a view if right money and nice. I am very stingy though with expensive taste so will see if I can part with any money.

On my don’t touch list are Lux’s, Harlequins, Emperor Augustus, Sligo’s and Cruising. Though I might take a view on the cruising depending on what else in in there. To be honest that knocks a lot out 😩

dominobrown

Visit site
Smart 4yo to store with a view that it’s either sold or kept in 2024 and a project with big feet type that 90% of people who compete can actually ride and have fun on. No mares! Though again for the 4yo I might take a view if right money and nice. I am very stingy though with expensive taste so will see if I can part with any money.

On my don’t touch list are Lux’s, Harlequins, Emperor Augustus, Sligo’s and Cruising. Though I might take a view on the cruising depending on what else in in there. To be honest that knocks a lot out 😩
Arrghh I sold a 4 year old this winter which would of been perfect for you, it was a homebred and it went up to Scotland to do working hunters and then event.