Stallion suggestions

Willow1306

Visit site
For 15.3hh blood type mare (50% TB). Pretty correct conformation, deep barrelled but lacks bone and has slightly long pasterns. Would pass as a (very sporty) hack in type and movement. She's the type that I think you could put a wide range of stallions with as she's a good basic model of a horse, but i'm looking to add:
  • Size
  • Bone/substance
  • Scope
Foal is ideally to keep for leisure/grassroots level in all disciplines for competent amateur but i'd like it to be useful/commercial enough to sell should circumstances change.

On the WB side I think something along the lines of Don VHP, Diamant de Semilly, Vagabond de la Pomme in type but then I don't know if a nice ID stallion would be a more sensible option in terms of producing a really useful, amateur friendly horse that could go on and do a number of jobs with a wide range of riders. They just don't float my boat so much, but that could be short sighted of me!

Any suggestions for correct stallions with the above qualities that cross well onto smaller mares and produce useful horses much appreciated!

Asha

Visit site
For grassroots /leisure i would definitely look at an ID stallion. Especially if you want something that would be easier to sell. Adding the WB stallion onto a TB type mare wont get you something commercial as a youngster unless your mare has a record? he/she would be easier to sell once under saddle and proving itself.
If you want a WB type then consider Ramiro B, he throws level headed progeny. Hes also better on TB types, his stock are always easy to sell as well , although he doesnt usually add much height, but can add a bit of bone.

theres plenty of ID stallion out there that add bone, height and type. Have a look on the irish draught GB website

TheMule

Visit site
What are the mare's strengths?
If it's primarily as a keeper and you prefer the warmblood jumpers I'd go and visit Brendon Stud as lots of the Don VHP/ Diamant lines and they're all tall, stocky types. And you've got Breen Equestrian just down the road to look at too. Or wait until the stallion show which is normally in February.

ihatework

Visit site
What is the other 50% of your mare and bloodlines?

What has she done performance wise?

Do you have a tendency to lean towards a particular discipline?

Willow1306

Visit site
Thanks for your replies.

She was bred by the Renkum stud by one of their SJ stallions and is out of a National Hunt mare that was by Presenting.

Strengths: good neck set and length of rein, nice proportions throughout, uphill, good hind leg, moves well, light on her feet, good technique over a fence, very quick brain .

Weaknesses: slightly light of bone (though not by TB standards), slightly long pasterns.

Has already bred one (very nice and correct) foal before being backed late then unfortunately had a field accident/injury which has cut short her ridden career. I feel she’s correct enough to breed from again and that her pedigree could make her particularly interesting for producing eventers.

Asha

Visit site
What are the mare's strengths?
If it's primarily as a keeper and you prefer the warmblood jumpers I'd go and visit Brendon Stud as lots of the Don VHP/ Diamant lines and they're all tall, stocky types. And you've got Breen Equestrian just down the road to look at too. Or wait until the stallion show which is normally in February.

OP ^^ definitely go to the stallion show. Its so worthwhile, especially if you are looking for level headed. It can be quite an eye opener. We went to the Twemlows one this year, and there were a few that didnt present well. We went to see Steeped in luck and i was thrilled to see he had manners to burn, and he was still able to perform under saddle even though hes 20.

ihatework

Visit site
I’ve been musing this one over and have lots of thoughts that will probably come out a little incoherently.

Firstly I agree, the only discipline you would stand a chance of being commercial in is Eventing. And by commercial I define that as having a market and achieving a sales price that covers your costs. Even so, the younger you need to sell the more you are reliant on having something that really looks the part - which would probably lead you to the big name euro jumpers that really stamp them.
Given you are looking primarily as a keeper and more lower amateur level then I’m not sure this is the right way to go. It doesn’t sound as though the mare has the CV to justify it and you might end up with something that doesn’t quite fit any commercial market (bern there, done that btw)

So I’d look UK commercial, a name that your grassroots eventers see out and about.

The two that spring to mind are Ramiro B and Cevin Z. Both now dead so you are limited to frozen and I’d do some good research into the quality of what is left. Both produce really nice people. Of the two I’d lean more towards Ramiro B for you as I think you are more likely to get that increase in height and substance - the Cevins can be a bit variable.

That’s not to say the right ID wouldn’t produce a horse to do your job, but there will be a limit on how commercial it will be - unless you hit the genetic lottery. Which might not be an issue for you if what you really mean by commercial is that there will be a nice home out there wanting to buy, and you aren’t expecting a proper price tag.

If you take the commercial back thought out of the equation then I’d say go to the stallion shows, search out their offspring and go with the stallion that puts a smile on your face and makes you excited. It’s an expensive journey, so it’s got to be worth it for you.

The more sensible advice would be to go buy what you want and not breed from this mare!

Asha

Visit site
My experience with Don VHP is limited to 2 mares, One i owned and she was small, compact, even tempered but a little stubborn. She did breed us a fab foal by Ramiro B. He ended up 16hds, but had a much more trainable attitude than his mum. The other mare (owned by a friend) by DON VHP is one hell of a mare, and won the 7YO at Bolesworth, serious scope but again not a tall horse. But not for the amateur market, as isnt the easiest to handle on the ground. Best people to speak to about him would be Shirley at brendan stud. Diamant from what ive heard is getting harder to use. But a friend of mine has a foal on the ground by him this year, shes very sharp and small, but hopefully will catch up, (and shes out of a large mare). Another breeder i know sent her mare to Diamant to try and get a foal, but sadly she didnt catch.
I guess it depends on your budget, Brendan stud have some sons of Don VHP, which will be cheaper and you could send your mare to them.

Jaguar Mail as recommended by TM is a good call, hes based at twemlows too, so you could meet him. Hes a tall rangy type, one i wanted to use but didnt have the right mare at the time.