Stallions and Geldings kept together

pennyturner

Visit site
I have 6 geldings and 5 stallions. All so quiet that they are caught, handled and ridden by children. The other day for the first time there was a to-do, with one of the (more dominant) geldings being attacked and driven away by one of the younger stallions. I think he'd just decided it was time to assert. Gelding was terrified, and has kept his distance since, but no further incidents. It was nasty to watch, but the same thing can happen day-in, day-out with a bullying mare.

Same stallion was standing asleep on 3 legs by the pig-pen half an hour later waiting for the kids to finish saddling their ponies. He (ridden) then met his 'foe' being walked in hand (we'd him out to check he was OK!). He just puffed out his chest and did a little squeal and stamp before walking on quietly.

I have seen one stallion 'kissing' the muzzle of a gelding who was rolling on his back under his nose. On the lawn (a spring treat) mine quietly put up with the kids and dogs playing football around them. They're not dragons.

PollyP99

Visit site
I have 6 geldings and 5 stallions. All so quiet that they are caught, handled and ridden by children. The other day for the first time there was a to-do, with one of the (more dominant) geldings being attacked and driven away by one of the younger stallions. I think he'd just decided it was time to assert. Gelding was terrified, and has kept his distance since, but no further incidents. It was nasty to watch, but the same thing can happen day-in, day-out with a bullying mare.

Same stallion was standing asleep on 3 legs by the pig-pen half an hour later waiting for the kids to finish saddling their ponies. He (ridden) then met his 'foe' being walked in hand (we'd him out to check he was OK!). He just puffed out his chest and did a little squeal and stamp before walking on quietly.

I have seen one stallion 'kissing' the muzzle of a gelding who was rolling on his back under his nose. On the lawn (a spring treat) mine quietly put up with the kids and dogs playing football around them. They're not dragons.

Agree on the mares thing, we've had a very dominant mare (no longer with us sadly) and she twice cornered unsuspecting geldings and let rip for no apparent reason, I was on hand for one and it was horrific to see but she acted as if nothing had happened afterwards. It was difficult because she was a good herd lead most of the time but could be taken with needing to assert herself. So it can happen in any herd setup, mine was a settled herd of mixed sex.