Stallions - how big and suggestions?

helenandshadow

Visit site
Hi,
I'm hoping to put my mare in foal next year. She's 14.2hh, Welsh D x TB, 11 years old. I know she's probably nothing special to most people but she has a lovely temperament, nice paces and jump, she has BSJA winnings and has won and been placed unaff dressage, hunter trials and showing, we have had her from a foal and always wanted to breed from her. It would be her first foal and it would be for me, I'd like something to event and hopefully slightly bigger. This is her:

firlexc6-2.jpg

Sorry I don't have any conformation pics.

My first question is how much bigger would you go with the stallion? Some people have said it doesn't matter as the foal will not grow too big for the mare and others have said not to go too big?
confused.gif

And I just wondered if you have any suggestions.
smile.gif

Thanks.

volatis

www.volatis.co.uk
many people will tell you (vets included) that the mare will dictate the birth size of the foal and not to worry about breeding to a large stallion. However I have heard far too many first hand experiences from people I know and trust regarding losing mares and foals from doing risky crosses.

As you want to event I would look at a Trakehner or Thoroughbred stallion up to about 16.0hh, no bigger. As she is half Welsh the resulting foal would be 3/4 blood and 1/4 native, which is a nice mix for eventing and should be that bit larger for you.

helenandshadow

Visit site
I definitely wouldn't want to put her at any extra risk so will look for something that isn't too big. I was thinking TB or Trakehner too, good to know I'm thinking along the right lines. Thank you.
smile.gif

Tia

Visit site
I'd go for something around 16hh - 16.2hh.

I pasture-bred our pony who is 12.2hh to our 15hh stallion - no problems at all and foal looks like she will be around 13.2hh - 14hh.

htobago

Visit site
I've been taught that it is not so much the height of the stallion (although obviously one doesn't want to go too big) but his build. Especially if you are choosing a taller stallion, make sure he is a finer type rather than a stocky, heavy build.

But I'm no expert so I could be wrong about this.

htobago

Visit site
Oh - just had a thought - what about that v nice young Anglo-Arab intermediate eventer 'All That Jazz'? Ridden by WFP, owned by Biddesden Stud - lovely-looking horse, and I think about 16hh, maybe 16.1 or so but not heavy.
smile.gif

maestro

www.westonstud.co.uk
Our stallion Weston Justice has covered quite a few FEI eventing ponies and has had some lovely babies that should event but are not too big and easy to handle. SallyFs 2 TB stallions would fit the bill as well and would be a known quantity PrincessDana has put their link up.

helenandshadow

Visit site
Thank you very much everyone for your replies.
smile.gif

I wouldn't want anything too heavy anyway, so something up to 16hh/16.2hh max? Thanks for all the suggestions, they all look lovely, maestro - I have seen Weston Justice on your website and really liked him.