Stamped Loss Of Use!

HarwoodFarm

www.harwoodfarm.co.uk
Does anyone know much about this? If a horse is stamped loss of use or branded it etc from Eventing due to a big injury which included surgery. Im not sure of the in's and out's. If this horse is now sound and well and in work could it compete BSJA? Or even just unafilliated stuff? Or is it JUST eventing it's no longer aloud to take part in. I would of thought if a horse had been stamped loss of use it would be out of action end of story but I don't know enough about his so just wondered if anyone out there knew anything and could fill me in.
:)

cptrayes

Visit site
There is nothing it can't do if it's sound enough. The branding is to stop insurance fraud, not to prevent it competing.

Polos Mum

Visit site
The mark is made by the insurance company once they have paid out 'loss of use'. IF ! the horse then goes on to be fit and well there are no restrictions to what they can do - Other than be insured again for the issue.
I used to know of one LOU horse that regularly does well unaffiliated eventing.
BUT - given how difficult insurance companies are in paying out, the number of horses that come genuinely sound after a claim must be very low.

ladyt25

Visit site
It can compete doing whatever it is fit to do. The loss of use stamp is for insurance purposes and basically to identify a horse that has been subject to a LOU claim. Now, the LOU claim could be down to many reason but usually it's down to a injury which has been deemed by a vet/professional to prevent the horse being able to continue in the discipline it is insured for.

However, claims for LOU have to be made within a time frame on insurance so it would have had to have been deemed 'unfixable' for want of a better term, in that time frame and hence a LOU (or partial LOU) claim was settled. However that horse may well have become sound again further down the line BUT an insurer is not going to want to provide LOU cover for this horse as you would have to disclose the horse has been stamped.

Carefreegirl

Visit site
My old horse was branded loss of use as I had him insured for Eventing and he was diagnosed with Navicular. He wouldn't of stood up to eventing so I claimed for loss of use. They are branded as a requirement by the insurance company before they pay out. My horse went to the bloodbank so can't tell you if he would still be hackable.

A girl on my old yard had her horse branded LOU for a problem with its foot but she's hacked it out for years, it's sound and she taken it jumping a few times. I doubt it would stand up to any serious level of work i.e schooled on a regular basis or jumped once a month etc.

You normally have to wait a whole year from the first vet visit to see if anything can be done so it's not something that's taken lightly imo.

zoelouisem

Visit site
As others have said you can still compete.
For example i know a horse that was bought for showing, it injured itself in the field and got a substial scar that ruled it out for showing but it came complety sound and carried on competing in different spheres successfully.

HarwoodFarm

www.harwoodfarm.co.uk
THANK you everyone for your comments, VERY VERY helpful.
I don't own the horse but it belongs to a friend who is selling him as she has not got the time for him due to family etc etc and something has to give. it's nice to know where she stands on selling him. Or If I was to take him on and do a bit with him.
Many thanks for all your useful comments.
:)

Polos Mum

Visit site
If you're buying from a friend and you know and understand all the in's and out's of the injury that lead to her claim you're in a good position to make an informed decision