Stamping legs - harvest mites?

Mariposa

Visit site
Evening all, I'm after some advice!

Over the last week one of our ponies has taken to stamping his hind legs when he's in. At first I was worried it might be due to sore hocks, as he is 17 yrs old and does get a bit stiff, but on closer inspection he has tiny little bites in between his legs and tummy and when I rubbed them the look of bliss on his face was unbelievable! I googled it and all signs seemed to point to harvest mites ( have to admit, I'd never heard of them..)

I washed him with Seleen yesterday, which has calmed it down, but I wondered if anyone had any experience of harvest mites, or any cures.

Thank you - glass of red wine for all!

starry94

Visit site
a horse on my yard was stamping her legs and her owner discovered she had mites, she tried some different washes but none got rid of them so she had the vet out who gave her horse an injection, i think she came out again a few weeks later and since then she hasnt been stamping at all

Janah

Visit site
Probably harvest mites though my boy was stamping his hind legs and it turned out his sheath needed cleaning!

Mariposa

Visit site
a horse on my yard was stamping her legs and her owner discovered she had mites, she tried some different washes but none got rid of them so she had the vet out who gave her horse an injection, i think she came out again a few weeks later and since then she hasnt been stamping at all

I think a vet visit might be the way forward, must be so uncomfortable for horses not being able to itch themselves!

And a thorough sheath clean!

Miss L Toe

Visit site
My boy dislikes peeing in his stable in summer, so he lifts one hind eg and then the other till I take him out on to the grass, he also "sprinkles" to let me know exactly what his problem is, I usually leave some old hay on the floor if he is in overnight.
My yearling had mites, and my vet gave me a green shampoo which worked.

HappyHooves

Visit site
Green shampoo is Seleen I think. Also if you use Selsun which is a human shampoo for dandruff (cheaper) it contains the same thing. Dilute it 1 in 10 and leave it on for 15 minutes, then wash off thoroughly. This should kill the mites. The itching will not stop immediately though. Best if repeated in 7 days time. I wouldn't recommend Frontline as its not been licenced for use in equines nor does it suggest it will do anything against mites, and near the sheath is a very sensitive area of skin. Once you have kiled the mites you can switch to a product that is used extensively in poultry called DE ( diatomaceous earth) which is a natural product that is like a very fine powder. The particles cut the outer case of the mites. Its great stuff to have ( not expensive either) to use on hairy legged horses, rugs, blankets and boots. And don't forget that the mites will probably be in your horse's bedding so you will need to use DE anyway.

liveryblues

Visit site
Pig oil and sulphur was the only thing that worked on my old boy when he kept stamping/had mites. Bit messy but very cheap and easy. Brilliant at keeping mud fever at bay in the winter too.
I tried everything and although skeptical thought I had nothing to lose by trying it!

Bikerchickone

Visit site
My lad had the Dectomax injections and they worked for him, but unfortunately only last 4 to 6 months before you have to do them again, although I've found clipping his legs helps.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
I've just re-read your original post; I think you are saying that the itchiness isn't in the feathers/on his legs, its basically up near his sheath area??? Have I got that right?

Coz if so, you are going to need to be quite careful what you use up there.

I'd be inclined to ask the vet to have a look, but meantime you could try something like mebbe Tea Tree Shampoo?? That should give him some relief, poor lad. Then you could just get some tea tree oil & dilute it in water and sponge it on him.

I've heard Neem Oil is good against creepy crawlies and parasites. I've used it on mine, mixed up with a carrier oil such as Pig Oil; but think you'd need to be very careful with yours and do a patch-test if using any sort of oil.

Get the vet to have a peek I would and go from there. It might not be what you think and you could make it a lot worse.