Stan at Little Downham

Rosiefan

Visit site
Lots of people love a comp report it seems so I’ll try and make you all happy ;)

This time last week I was looking forward to watching Rosie take my horse Stan to his first Novice at Little Downham 2 in the hope that they’d both come home safe and that we’d all have fun at our last event of 2014. Stan is only 5 and there have been a few hiccups but you can’t knock his record so far this year, 5 events entered, a couple of ‘self-harming’ episodes early on but 3 events completed, all DC and 18 foundation points.

We were very lucky to be at LD on the dry and sunny 2nd day and to have very civilised start times but after ten minutes of sedateness in the dressage warm up we had an inkling of what was about to happen when he went into bucking bronco mode for no reason whatsoever other than high spirits. Rosie very sensibly went off into a quiet corner and cantered round in a circle until he calmed down.
The first part of the test was very nice but when Rosie asked for medium canter this is what we got. https://scontent-b-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net...=0365727022db419ea538c20e29d41b5d&oe=54B35E72

Judge said sixes and sevens then a four, quite generous really, the four. We were pleased with 38.5!

Show jumping was causing enough trouble but we were a little bit disappointed that he had 2 unlucky elements of the treble given that he was 5th individually at the PC Open SJ champs and has plenty of scope. You can’t be cross with Stan though – he’s always so pleased with himself. A photo
https://www.facebook.com/RosieChine...8314861291516/588313067958362/?type=1&theater

Off to the XC and he was unbelievable – flew some very tricky questions like a seasoned pro, gave Rosie a super ride and loads of confidence that he’ll win a novice at some point with plenty of scope to spare. Loads of time faults but she wasn’t hurrying. Video over a difficult combination where I'd watched a couple of others make a real hash of it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCNOVEFC_uA&index=1&list=PLicffzsUv352pfpuI32gEJDjpknkDnZie

He finished up in the top half (17th ) but the that’s neither here nor there. The point is he’s turned out to be a fun eventer who loves his job. What more could an owner want!

ahml100

Visit site
Wow! I am not surprised you are pleased :) he looks lovely and what a good positive first novice. As above, good luck for the winter and next season!

Rosiefan

Visit site
I love Stan you have bought some great horses for Rosie. Fingers crossed for a winter of successful SJ and a brilliant season next year. I'm in no doubt he could win a novice he is super you must be so proud
I must confess that Rosie has chosen my purchases herself (with a bit of help from her Mum) but yes, I'm super proud of him and her :)

Wow! I am not surprised you are pleased :) he looks lovely and what a good positive first novice. As above, good luck for the winter and next season!
Thank you :) I'm very fond of him - he's such a character. LD isn't a place most people would choose for a step up but we train there a lot because of the fabulous ground and we all feel very at home when we visit.

Rosiefan

Visit site
Lovely report, what a super horse Stan is, bet you will be pleased to tuck him up for the winter, optimistic for next season :):)
He's such a character - keeps Rosie on her toes all the time with his cheekiness. He's just been bought a new rug for the winter but the chances are he'll damage it before too long <sigh>

That's a horse to put a smile on your face :)
The day after the comp he was turned out, pranced around for half an hour then demanded to go back into his stable so he could snooze in comfort - spoilt brat :) ;)
https://www.facebook.com/RosieChine...3159353140404/588258057963863/?type=1&theater

Carefreegirl

Visit site
Clever Stan (and Rosie of course) I was there on the Sunday and we certainly had the best weather)
Both the SJ and XC seemed to cause plenty of problems throughout the levels so no wonder you're all so pleased.
Hoping to get to all 3 there next season.

Rosiefan

Visit site
He pinged through that combination with ease, what a lovely boy! Well done to R and yourself :)
Thank you, he's very brave, nothing seems to worry him. Rosie says she thinks he'd jump off a cliff if she asked him to :eek:

He is a lovely horse. Look forward to reading more updates in what I am sure will be years of eventing sucess for them both :)
He's a very nice person most of the time. I'm not really a horsey person but I can hold on to him and give him hugs without fear of being dragged off my feet.

Wow they flew that combination! Very impressive for his age, lovely horse, look forward to seeing more reports! :)
I was impressed to be honest - it was a tricky combination with the second part sloping away towards where I was standing videoing and as I said, we watched a couple getting the striding wrong and struggling to turn.

Clever Stan (and Rosie of course) I was there on the Sunday and we certainly had the best weather)
Both the SJ and XC seemed to cause plenty of problems throughout the levels so no wonder you're all so pleased.
Hoping to get to all 3 there next season.
The jumping wasn't at all straightforward was it but I really like that it was no dressage competition. It never is though, I think Tina likes to pop in a few tricky ones to keep us on our toes ;)
We hope to do all 3 next season too :)

almostthere

Visit site
lovely report :) We too were there on the Sunday with two in the Novice. I became even more of a nervous owner when in the space of 10 minutes three people fell off in the showjumping arena and one poor girl had a nasty fall in the warm-up right next to me and her forehead collided with one of the wooden poles :( Everything was put on hold whilst she was tended too which whilst completely and absolutely necessary sent one of mine into orbit because of the delay. I really hope she was all right - just reminds you how important it is that they come home safe and sound :)

Rosiefan

Visit site
He sounds smashing. Fab result, well done to you and Rosie. Roll on 2015!
Thank you - he is smashing but I would say that wouldn't I :)

lovely report :) We too were there on the Sunday with two in the Novice. I became even more of a nervous owner when in the space of 10 minutes three people fell off in the showjumping arena and one poor girl had a nasty fall in the warm-up right next to me and her forehead collided with one of the wooden poles :( Everything was put on hold whilst she was tended too which whilst completely and absolutely necessary sent one of mine into orbit because of the delay. I really hope she was all right - just reminds you how important it is that they come home safe and sound :)
The 3 falls in the SJ was just before Stan went in too, poor girl :( I tried to use that as an excuse for his 2 poles but Rosie said I was being silly and it was more likely to be her fault. Couldn't agree more that all home safe and sound is actually the only thing that matters