Standardbred owners NEEDED!

Crosshill Pacers

Visit site
To all you wonderful people who have even more wonderful Standardbreds, it's come to my attention (as I was writing up the latest article for the STAGBI newsletter) that I have run out of Standardbreds in ridden (or driving) homes displaying their aptitude for disciplines other than harness racing to feature in the newsletter.

I've previously had a great response from owners on here and some horses have featured in the newsletter and ALL photos and info have been posted on the Facebook page for STAGBI.

The exercise serves two of purposes:

1. It illustrates that Standardbreds are not 'one trick ponies', to both prospective horse owners and also racehorse breeders and trainers; and

2. It's a great way for breeders, previous owners and trainers to see where their horses have ended up and the things that they have achieved in their new homes.

If anybody on here hasn't already contacted me with photos and information on their Standardbred, please feel free to reply to this post or PM me, or contact me via the STAGBI Facebook page (link in my sig).

Thank you :)

Sarah (the crazy Standardbred lady)

P.s. This post is also a shameless thread for people to big up the breed!

Arizahn

Visit site
I just found this thread, having bought a Standardbred gelding earlier this month :)

I'm very happy with him so far. He is nineteen, and has been out of work for the past year and a half. Was driven, but also ridden occasionally - I am told he can jump well and that he enjoys the beach. He seems to be bombproof. So far he has been led in hand past various traffic with no issues. Not bothered by low flying aircraft, dogs, livestock or jet skis (we are coastal). Car alarm went off yesterday whilst he was standing tied on the yard. Didn't turn a hair. Has been 100% for both the vet and the farrier. Slight bit of seedy toe, which is clearing up well. Jabs have had to be started from scratch too, no record of any on his passport. And he hates being wormed, but we got there with a bit of patience :) Dentist is coming on Friday, watch this space!

I ride western and plan to mostly hack, with some flatwork schooling. There is a toll ride that I'd love to try out in November, all being well. Next year, I hope to be able to lead my youngster out from him to let him see traffic before he is backed himself. So his other job is nanny, and he has been very good at it so far. He is patient but takes no nonsense from his young field mates either.

Herd3_zpsb398f1a0.jpg

Herd6_zps0dff5e43.jpg

Meandarthur3_zps904f25c5.jpg

Last edited:

monkeybum13

Visit site
Unfortunately by fabulous standie mare was PTS last summer but she was a fantastic horse, would dressage and jump but he main thing was hunting, she was unbelievably fun to hunt and not short of pace, she could keep up with Denman and would jump hedges brilliantly.

maccachic

Visit site
My partners has one he was a full wire hunter / whip before we got him and he has taught my partner to ride - his name is McRough or Roughy to his mates.

This is him at a 20km endurance event (yes he is BF on stones they both are):

attachment.php

He also treks and hunts him and I have SJ'd him on occasion.

MyDogIsAnIdiot

Visit site
Not my horse, but the other horse mine is living with is a Standie :). He's 26 now, still hacking out occasionally and completely sound - not bad for a horse that was national champion! He doesn't look 26 at all and when he starts pacing he still flies along. He's been harnessed a few times lately to pull small fallen trees out of the field but he's retired from the cart as he still thinks he's racing. Such a laid back easy-going horse, I can see why people fall in love with the breed.