Standards Slipping

MILLGREENLADY

Visit site
I haven't been to an unaffiliated competiton for a while but took the eventer and the youngster out to an unaffiliated dressage comp today. Spend ages after hunting the other horse scrubbing them one grey and making their tack sparkly. Plaited them both up this morning and scrubbed the grey again! To go and no one else was plaited ive noticed it a lot and at BD shows. Maybe I have high standards but even I notice out hunting yesterday people in puffa coats riding and scarfs and thinking it was acceptable. I just see people wearing hunting coats and not plaited up rude! maybe I should relax and go with the ways does anyone else feel the same way ?

Colouredwelsh

Visit site
I'm anal when it comes to turnout and my ponies just do not go out unless they are immaculate. I have a near nervous breakdown over them not being spotless at shows. I always wash in warm water even in summer, how anyone expects to get anything clean in cold water beats me!!!

twobearsarthur

Visit site
I feel exactly the same. I'm old fashioned was taught the traditional ways of doing things (hunting family) and I'm not about to give it up to fit in.
I think it's easier to do things correctly these days as you can look up on line how you should be dressed/turned out etc... I had to rely on dusty old books handed down from older relatives.
I just think it's respectful to the judge or the Master to be turned out smartly and correctly.

MILLGREENLADY

Visit site
THANK GOODNESS some other people that cant go out without being immaculate :) I always at least want to look very well turnout even if the horses don't go that well haa. They did ok the greys first dressage comp so a 61 and 62% in prelims so not to bad but the judge was very kind and the eventer came 1st with 68% in the novice which consider hes been hunting the past month wasn't to bad..

Nothing like a clean plaited grey :)

Dizzydancer

Visit site
This is something I often feel awkward about, I always make sure I am looking clean and respectable with the correct attire on, horse is always clean and tack is clean but I have had to stop plaiting at present- ex racer who has obviously only been plaited for racing/hunting and therefore becomes a loon so at present he is competing in plaited but will neatly pulled mane and we are plaitin up for home schooling to try and settle him down a bit! It's prob going be a while before I bravw plaits away from home again for dressage!!

MILLGREENLADY

Visit site
This is something I often feel awkward about, I always make sure I am looking clean and respectable with the correct attire on, horse is always clean and tack is clean but I have had to stop plaiting at present- ex racer who has obviously only been plaited for racing/hunting and therefore becomes a loon so at present he is competing in plaited but will neatly pulled mane and we are plaitin up for home schooling to try and settle him down a bit! It's prob going be a while before I bravw plaits away from home again for dressage!!

That is a good reason though I'm sure of the rest of the 60 enteries of where i was today not many were ex race horses. Good for you for working on it as well :)

hcm88

Visit site
I think its rude not to make an effort, when judges/hunt/volunteers give you their (often unpaid or poorly paid) time to make sure you have a good day, or give you good feedback, or help you etc etc then its surely courteous to come smartly dressed and have made the effort.

Through a PC background aren't many of us drilled into having the correct turnout through our child and teen years... for me this has stuck through well into adulthood now! When I saw Sandra Auffarth/etc at WEG without a hairnet just in a ponytail I wasn't impressed, but I feel the majority of people now wouldn't flinch at it!

I pride myself in my horses and I looking as immaculate as possible for a show, it makes me sad that others don't care!

twobearsarthur

Visit site
I think its rude not to make an effort, when judges/hunt/volunteers give you their (often unpaid or poorly paid) time to make sure you have a good day, or give you good feedback, or help you etc etc then its surely courteous to come smartly dressed and have made the effort.

Through a PC background aren't many of us drilled into having the correct turnout through our child and teen years... for me this has stuck through well into adulthood now! When I saw Sandra Auffarth/etc at WEG without a hairnet just in a ponytail I wasn't impressed, but I feel the majority of people now wouldn't flinch at it!

I pride myself in my horses and I looking as immaculate as possible for a show, it makes me sad that others don't care!

Lack of a hairnet makes me twitch too

ATrueClassAct

Visit site
Haven't shown in 5 years now (not that long but feels it!) and I completely agree with you with sloppy appearances...it's not nice!
Correct and clean turnout makes such a difference I think compared to a horse and rider who looked like they've just been dragged out a field. My mare was always shaved, bathed and plaited before a comp even at age 23!
Not sure if I'm gonna plait my new boy if I compete him only cus he has three manes as it's so thick and am struggling stopping it looking like golf balls. But it will be kept trimmed and well brushed along Witt his tail

And hair down!! Arghhhh! Just put it in a hairnet not all over your face?!

Nicnac

Visit site
Funnily enough I was thinking the same today about turn-out after my grey, who somehow knew the electricity had been turned off, decided that being caught to go to unaffiliated dressage wasn't what he wanted so he slipped under the fencing into one of the Spring fields and hooned up and down covering himself in wet mud whilst the beautifully mannered ex-racehorse was turning himself inside out in his stable having been caught easily ;)

When I finally managed to grab said grey and took his rug off I was sorely tempted to bung him on the lorry as he was because we were now running rather later than planned. I just couldn't do it. So he got washed and plaited and I even got a couple of compliments on how clean he looked.

Amongst the 100 odd competitors today every single horse was turned out smartly and everyone was dressed properly. I don't have a pony club background but used to have an instructor who was very old school and if your horse had a speck of dried mud or the tiniest bit of shavings in its tail when she arrived you were sent back to sort it before she'd teach you!

JDH01

Visit site
It's not about pony club or BHS it is good manners! I wear a hairnet even to hack out plus Patey (don't shoot me) every time I hack or hunt and up to spec hat when involved with affiliated comps or riding club. My two are Always clean and well turned out

nikicb

www.facebook.com
Funnily enough I was thinking the same today about turn-out after my grey, who somehow knew the electricity had been turned off, decided that being caught to go to unaffiliated dressage wasn't what he wanted so he slipped under the fencing into one of the Spring fields and hooned up and down covering himself in wet mud whilst the beautifully mannered ex-racehorse was turning himself inside out in his stable having been caught easily ;)

When I finally managed to grab said grey and took his rug off I was sorely tempted to bung him on the lorry as he was because we were now running rather later than planned. I just couldn't do it. So he got washed and plaited and I even got a couple of compliments on how clean he looked.

Amongst the 100 odd competitors today every single horse was turned out smartly and everyone was dressed properly. I don't have a pony club background but used to have an instructor who was very old school and if your horse had a speck of dried mud or the tiniest bit of shavings in its tail when she arrived you were sent back to sort it before she'd teach you!

This is exactly how I would do it as well. I also don't have a PC background, despite now being a PC mother. And I always ride in a hairnet. Yeah, ok, it's old fashioned, but it keeps my hair where it should be and I should think a little cleaner than just using a hat. :)

WelshD

Visit site
I'm old fashioned too. Whilst observing the back of a show line up today I noted a few scruffy pony tails - some equine some human!

There was a possibility that I would need to act as groom in a ring so I automatically put a hat, hairbands and gloves in the car just in case - I agree with the previous comment about respect though I am sure plenty will disagree

NZJenny

Visit site
Me too. It isn't so much a respect thing for me, but a pride thing. Even endurance riding, I did pulled manes and tidy tails. Horses were always bathed prior and tack was always clean. Just because you were tough, didn't mean you had to be rough!

Have been let off plaiting for dressage for years, as my previous horse was hogged. However now looking at youngster and thinking time to start practicing again.

Moomin1

Visit site
Yes, does my brains in when I go showing and some of the sights who turn up actually get placed. Though I have to say, I couldn't give a monkey's backside whether someone turns up unplaited to a hunt - who is judging exactly? Surely a hunt is not about appearance? Though I don't hunt, so am probably well off the mark. But I cannot see how not being plaited etc at a hunt should really be an issue.

Colouredwelsh

Visit site
I think it's down right rude not to plait to hunt, wewould never have been allowed to hunt unplaited. Only when cubbing did we not plait.

nikicb yes, gloves too lol.

MileAMinute

Visit site
I agree, it's rude not to make the effort. Hunting is very traditional and it's important to follow what is expected of you. Good turnout is one of those things. Just like I wouldn't have my horse unplaited for dressage, or turn up with a filthy grey to a competition. I struggle to plait so need help but I would rather have someone to it than go without. Plus, my horse's mane is a crazy, thick mess so it's nice to see it contained on occasion ;)

Britestar

Visit site
I always make sure mine are clean and well presented, however, my younger horse hates his manes being fiddled with, and plaiting him is a 2 man fight, with me getting crushed. So for him, there is no plaiting. His mane is short, and lies well.

RunToEarth

Visit site
I completely agree OP - out hunting a few weeks ago at a lawn meet, loads of people in wax jackets because it was raining - Exmoor and Ireland excluded - since when did it become acceptable to sit at a flipping lawn meet with a barbour on - really really rude IMO. There is no way I'd go out unplaited, if nothing else it just looks smarter.

Equi

Visit site
Im not a shower i only show in hand, but even if i am doing something public and not show related i make sure the ponies are sparkly and manes n tails slicked and hooves polished. I have my gear on and hate when someone who has just literally rocked up no grooming and wearing a pair of jeans and trainers get placed over my pony who has been champ before (i usually find that 99% of the time a coloured is placed above me, no matter the turn out or conformation - and it appears to be two judges in particular who do this)

LittleRooketRider

Visit site
Another helplessly obssessed with turnout..because its correct,polite and respectful..not to mention mortifying if I am not turned out immaculately.

That said..have been hunting a pony for somebody, the arrangement is I turn up at the meet and get on...but they never plait!!?? Ok its a rather rotund sort with mane all over the place..but even at a lawn meet!?

HaffiesRock

Visit site
I am in agreement also. I show, and I turn my ponies out to the best standard that I can with my facilities. At a local show last year, there were so many people in hand showing in jeans, trainers, scruffy jodhs and just generally looking terrible!

ironhorse

Visit site
Didn't plait mine when he went to unaff dressage last time because it was his first outing since ulcer treatment and I wanted to keep it low key for him, although his mane is very neat anyway. However, he was immaculate otherwise - clipped, tack clean and shiny, tail well brushed out. It just makes me feel better - like we deserve to be there!
Will be plaited too next time :)

PolarSkye

Visit site
Yes, does my brains in when I go showing and some of the sights who turn up actually get placed. Though I have to say, I couldn't give a monkey's backside whether someone turns up unplaited to a hunt - who is judging exactly? Surely a hunt is not about appearance? Though I don't hunt, so am probably well off the mark. But I cannot see how not being plaited etc at a hunt should really be an issue.

Just as with dressage, plaiting for hunting is really about showing respect and making an effort to look smart. A lot of work goes into maintaining a hunt, most of it done by volunteers - showing up clean, on a clean and plaited horse is the least those going out for the day can do . . .

P

PolarSkye

Visit site
Kali (who is grey) is clean and presentable not only for competitions and when out hunting (well, not any more - his hunting days are behind him) but also for lessons and clinics. I just think it shows we're committed/willing to make an effort. Of course he's not plaited for lessons and clinics - nor is he for SJing - but he is clean and so is his tack - and his jockey looks smart.

P

wench

Visit site
I avoid plaiting at all costs, unless I really have to.

I hate doing it, am rubbish at it, and they all fall out, so my horse ends up looking even worse than before.

Yes I could practise, but I am exceptionally busy, and would rather be riding my horse than practising plaiting!

ossy

Visit site
I'll be honest some of the first unaffiliated dressages I did I didn't plait I was doing one test first thing in morning and wanted it to be low key but we were clean and tidy. Now we're doing BD and BE I wouldnt dream of going out unplaited, whites not white ect. Having gone to a few BS shows recently I was amazed at the lack of turnout, dirty horses, tack, riders boots ect and loose hair flopping everywhere ��