Start box rules

juliap

Visit site
At an unaff competition at the weekend a competitor was counted down & before passing the start line gave her horse a kick - it bucked, she came off , horse went back to lorry park.

Rider got back on & was allowed to re start but she queried the results as she was eliminated for being over the time.

She queried it as she hadn't actually crossed the start line & it got me wondering what the rules are in that case?

I always thought time started from earlier of "go" or crossing the line in which case being eliminated was right as she had been counted down.

blackhor2e

Visit site
Seems a little harsh but if she had been counted down and then fell off I don't think it has anything to do with where she was in the start box.

paddi22

Visit site
that sounds like the right thing was done, her time had started. it doesn't start when she goes across line.

TarrSteps

Visit site
that sounds like the right thing was done, her time had started. it doesn't start when she goes across line.

That. If her horse had reared repeatedly for a minute before leaving the box the clock still would have been running. The only difference was she was chasing it around the lorry park instead

Biska

Visit site
That. If her horse had reared repeatedly for a minute before leaving the box the clock still would have been running. The only difference was she was chasing it around the lorry park instead
I wonder if it was a standing start.....what phase was it? There was an unaffiliated 3DE at the weekend at Milton Keynes with roads and tracks and steeplechase, it was standing start for the chase section and plenty of competitors ignored this rule totally in spite of a clear briefing.

popsdosh

Visit site
Yes the time starts when the starter says go irrespective of whether you have crossed the line or not .It also starts the moment you cross the line if you go before the countdown has finished.
She would have been eliminated under either the maximum time allowed for the whole course or the time allowed before jumping the first obstacle.

juliap

Visit site
From the BE rule book - finally found it on BE site!

6.3.4 Starting and timing
6.3.4.1 the start box will be approximately 5m square. it will have an open front and
must have entry from a gap on one or both sides of about 2m through which
Competitors may enter. the gap(s) will be protected to prevent injury. the start
box will be marked with a red and white flag at the front.
6.3.4.2 Competitors must comply with the directions to start given by the starter.
6.3.4.3 the Competitor of a horse which is ridden through the gap in the start box at
a canter, or faster, may be penalised for dangerous riding.
6.3.4.4 the starter will count down from five before the start signal.
6.3.4.5 time is counted from the moment that the start signal is given or when the
nose of the starting horse crosses the start line; whichever is the earlier, until
the horse’s nose passes the finish. thus, an early start will not advantage the
Competitor.
6.3.4.6 if the Competitor has not crossed the start line after 1 minute from being given
the signal to start, he may be eliminated. however, if the Competitor is having
difficulty and the starter considers that extra time may be beneficial to the
Competitor, he may abort and restart the countdown.

assistance within the start box is permitted up to the start signal being given.
thereafter any such assistance may be unauthorised.

Reading that the starter appears to have discretion as to whether to restart the count down or eliminate. As she wasn't told she was eliminated then it was maybe a bit unfair to eliminate her.

popsdosh

Visit site
The starter was correct as the rule you are quoting covers riders having difficulty during the countdown not after he has said go ie he can abort during the countdown but judging by how you described it the starter had said go!

juliap

Visit site
I read it as if not crossed the start line within 1 min after being told to go (signal to start) ?

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
It's unaffiliated so whatever rules the organiser wishes to set. If the organiser said that on being told "go" you had to dismount and lead your horse to the first fence and use it as a mounting block then that's the rules.

I reckon the competitor was lucky to be allowed to restart!

juliap

Visit site
It is one of those things I hadn't thought about & as I was there when the competitor queried why she was eliminated I thought I should find out - the organisers didn't seem really sure what the rules were exactly.

I do a bit of unaff & BE & often unaff are run under BE rules but I will go & see if I can find the BRC start rules