Starter dog!

pistolpete

Visit site
My son and his wife are thinking about getting a dog. They have a two year old daughter so doubt rescues will entertain them. I have said cavalier King Charles for temperament but not not the healthiest. Our best ever small dog was a long legged Jack Russell but it’s hard to advise isn’t it? I secretly hope they shelve the idea until the little one is a fair bit older. All thoughts appreciated.

SO1

Visit site
The safest option might be to get a dog from a rescue that is known to be fine in a house with children. It also means that if they find dog ownership is not how they expected and they don't enjoy it they can return the dog to the rescue.

If it is their first dog and first child bound to be a steep learning curve on both accounts.

pistolpete

Visit site
The safest option might be to get a dog from a rescue that is known to be fine in a house with children. It also means that if they find dog ownership is not how they expected and they don't enjoy it they can return the dog to the rescue.

If it is their first dog and first child bound to be a steep learning curve on both accounts.
Yes it’s finding a rescue that approve such a young family. I get it that children need to be supervised around animals and when they’re that young it’s a challenge.

Boulty

Visit site
Would say they may be better off with an adult dog who is already known to be ok with children & is toilet trained. Puppies are super hard work even if an “easy” breed and trying to train one whilst also “training” 2 yr old human.

There’s typical & atypical examples in most breeds… would NOT trust the hooligan with a small child without a lot of supervision for example as he’s rather lacking in the patience & tolerance his breed is supposed to have & he’s not particularly gentle either!

SO1

Visit site
So just been chatting to him on text and he really wants a staffie 🤔. I love staffies but really not sure for a first dog! Lots can change so we will see!
My sister and BIL have a staffie. The reason they have her is that she was too high energy for the family she came from who had young children and didn't have time to walk her and play with her enough when she was a puppy.

She is excellent with children but my sister walks her twice a day normally and she runs around the garden. The other problem is that my sister couldn't find a puppy training class that would accept staffies.

YO also has staffies and her current one also has a lot of energy.

Both my YO and sister staffies are very friendly but can be a bit overwhelming with over friendliness. Given the chance they would lick you all over.

gallopingby

Visit site
Two year olds and puppies are hard work together or seperately. An older dog used to children would be the best option but it’s unlikely someone with no previous dog experience would feature very highly on the list of people looking for a dog. It’s not impossible but reputable rescues always ensure the dogs needs come first, people applying to the rescue l volunteer with often gave to wait a year or longer for a suitable match and sometimes several years. Although some staffies are known to be good with children others aren’t. Many have been mistreated and can have underlying health problems. Cavaliers from a reputable breeder should be healthy and will have had all the necessary checks, however there are plenty of back street breeders who will offer dogs more cheaply. Some of the bigger well established rescues may consider rehoming an older dog they think will be easier to manage to a young family but only after a thorough assessment and a ‘meet and greet’ based on the dogs temperament. A puppy, two year old child AND a baby is often the reason dogs come into breed specific rescues.

I'm Dun

Visit site
I bet you cant guess what I'm going to say? ;) Whippet! 😛

Generally easy and forgiving and I'm yet to meet one that doesn't adore kids. My lovely older boy used to meet a disabled, non verbal boy who was in a huge electric wheelchair, who made lots of erratic hand and arm movements and loud noises, so lots of scary things going on. The little boy loved him and used to enthusiastically pat him, aka thump his hand on him while screeching with joy. Not nice for the dog, yet mine would still go over to him and let him pet him. He didn't enjoy it, but he knew the child did so he was fine with it. He is exceptionally sweet natured, my youngest would do it if I asked him to but wouldn't volunteer, he loves kids in general though and would be delighted if I suddenly spawed a toddler.

Clodagh

Visit site
I wouldn’t get a whippet, they can be very sensitive.
I wouldn’t get a staff, although I like them they will knock smalls over.
I wouldn’t get a small fluffy, too squishable and often nippy.
I’m afraid I’d get a lab or lab x. I honestly do t always suggest them but they are easy going, trainable, easy, robust and generally good with kids. You’ll never have to clean under the high chair.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
After having a puppy after many years I had forgotten how much hard work they were and how frustrating especially if you have been in the garden for 20 mins and they come in and have a wee straight away. I think it’s a very bad idea to have a dog with a 2 year old. You would need 2 of you to watch both of them at all times

I'm Dun

Visit site
Both my whippets would absolutely hate a home with a young child.

I always go for working bred boys so I don't know if that makes a difference. Mine are bold to the point I have to be careful to keep a lid on it, and the most happy joyful little dogs who love kids and the associated noise and games and kerfuffle that comes with them. Last week mine both laid in bed asleep while I angle ground huge chunks off metal off the boat 2 feet away. Incredible noise, smell and sparks everywhere. They didn't even look up the lazy blighters! So maybe its just that I'm portent of chaos and mine get used to it from day one 🤪🤪

Chiffy

Visit site
Well we had a whippet and a lurcher when my daughter was born and they were both absolutely fine with her. We bred a litter when she was three!
My granddaughter had her first whippet of her own last year at the age of 12, so Winnie the Whippet is just a year old. She would be absolutely fine with any young children. She isn’t at all nervous, she is full of fun but quite happy to go in her crate to sleep. She came from her breeder at 9 or 10 weeks and was SO easy to house train, as long as you let her out regularly, she already knew what she went outside for AND it was January! She just didn’t hang around out there!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I’m afraid I’d get a lab or lab x. I honestly do t always suggest them but they are easy going, trainable, easy, robust and generally good with kids. You’ll never have to clean under the high chair.
Although I would often recommend a Lab for a home with children, I'm not sure I would recommend a pup to introduce to a 2 yr old. My parents 1st dog (as a couple) was 2 yrs old when I was born. That way round it worked very well and he was always great with children. An older Lab if you could find one would be better but it would still have to settle into a new home.

JJS

Visit site
So just been chatting to him on text and he really wants a staffie 🤔. I love staffies but really not sure for a first dog! Lots can change so we will see!
See, a Staffy would be my first choice for a family with children. The only thing is that I’m not sure a puppy (of any breed) is the best option for first-time owners!
A Lab would be my other suggestion. I think both breeds tend to be fantastic with children: hugely tolerant, kind, gentle, and just generally lovely, happy-go-lucky souls!

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I had our first family puppy and a very young child, younger than 2, more like 1 I think as she was very wonky on her feet!
We had a Labrador and it was really lovely. They became absolute best friends.
I think it’s a good thing to have tiny kids with, obviously the right dog as it yea he’s them so early how to behave round dogs.
So, off the back of that I’d have said lab but since the last one I’d be hesitant to recommend one to anyone 😂😂

As you say I doubt a rescue will look twice at them, we did try and go down that route first but with a baby no one would touch us. So we got a lab puppy and have had them ever since.

Chiffy

Visit site
There is always the exception to the rule poiuytrewq! Hopefully most Labradors have easy temperaments.
My first dogs after marriage were whippets but I haven’t had one for some years now. My granddaughter now has one and she is quite an outward going scamp in comparison to the very easy and biddable ones that I had!

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
The only staff I currently come across is a tiny bitch who comes pelting up for strokes in the woods. Really easy going, sweet and teeny brindle girl. I’d say it’s a great choice. Any dog can knock over a toddler. Goose’s tail would do that.

Moobli

Visit site
If they speak to a staffie breed specific rescue there may be a dog that’s been child tested and they tend to be less strict on some of the blanket rules of more general rescues.
A friend volunteers for Staffie Rescue Scotland and she has three kids and has always had Staffie rescues, even when the children were tiny so it is possible.

I'm Dun

Visit site
My first dogs after marriage were whippets but I haven’t had one for some years now. My granddaughter now has one and she is quite an outward going scamp in comparison to the very easy and biddable ones that I had!
thats quite a good description of mine! friendly and happy and sometimes little scamps, but always in a very sweet, endearing way.