Starting Again

shirl62

Visit site
My sis and I started riding last year at the age of 62 ( 64 today! ) It was the best thing we have ever done. Have lost nearly a stone too as an added bonus. We have just recently got our own little cobs ( well time is running out! lol ) We have had some great advice and encouragement on here...Can't believe we are hacking out on our own without supervision! I am sure you will get into the swing of things very soon. Yee Ha !

Shirl

JenniD

Visit site
My sis and I started riding last year at the age of 62 ( 64 today! ) It was the best thing we have ever done. Have lost nearly a stone too as an added bonus. We have just recently got our own little cobs ( well time is running out! lol ) We have had some great advice and encouragement on here...Can't believe we are hacking out on our own without supervision! I am sure you will get into the swing of things very soon. Yee Ha !

Shirl
Wow! That's fantastic! I've had so many lovely posts of encouragement from lots of people here young and 'mature' alike! The more encouragement and messages I get the more convinced I am that I'm doing the right thing. It's an odd thing to say but as happy as I am with life, husband children and grandchildren etc., there has been something missing itms. I now know what that is...riding! I've always felt too old, but so many people have said 'rubbish!' I too have toyed with the idea of getting my own horse. My theory is that maybe I would feel better if it and me went on the journey together. I don't want to go jumping fences, I just want to enjoy life hacking and a bit of schooling. It must be lovely to do it with your sister. Enjoy the summer with your legged friends! And stay in touch!

shirl62

Visit site
Thanks JenniD...Our thoughts were exactly that ...go on a journey together..I think the riding is beneficial in so many ways and has certainly made me feel very youthful!..lol ..At first when going to lessons I was a bit nervous, but soon got confidence. We feel like a couple of excited kids really..Every day is a learning experience even when your lesson has not gone as good as you would like. Looking forward to hearing about your progress

Shirl

JenniD

Visit site
Thanks JenniD...Our thoughts were exactly that ...go on a journey together..I think the riding is beneficial in so many ways and has certainly made me feel very youthful!..lol ..At first when going to lessons I was a bit nervous, but soon got confidence. We feel like a couple of excited kids really..Every day is a learning experience even when your lesson has not gone as good as you would like. Looking forward to hearing about your progress

Shirl
I think it's good to be a bit nervous...better than being over confident and 'cock sure' of yourself. It must be lovely to find out new things about each other (horse and rider) each day. I look forward to hearing about your exploits too!..Jenni.

JenniD

Visit site
Well!....I had another lesson today on Big Bo! My mouth was really dry, and I was nervous and excited at the same time! I'm so pleased. It went really well and my balance is getting better. And I wasn't flapping about like a tea towel on a washing line this time! But there is so much to remember! Liz my instructor is confident that things will 'get together' in time. However..........despite my effort to swing my leg over and spending 5 minutes every night having a good ol' swing, my leg got stuck again!.. it kind of ruined my lesson. What am I going to do?? I can see myself hopefully getting better and better IN the saddle but never being able to get off the damn horse!.....it's so ridiculous! I feel such a numpty! Aaagghhh! :(

oldie48

Visit site
The name "Big Bo" tends to suggest that this is a big horse, perhaps quite broad in the beam???? If it helps at all, I once went to try an oversize sect D, he was just lovely, just over 15hh but had the biggest butt and I got my leg stuck on his backside as I tried to get off. I'm 5'4" slim hipped with long legs and fairly athletic in build but he was just the wrong build for me and he made my hips ache too. I now ride a much bigger slimmer horse, it's a long way down but I lean forward over his neck and never get my leg caught. It might not be anything to do with your technique!

JenniD

Visit site
That's so good to hear!!...Bo is about 16.1h, I'm about 5'6" and 10 stone 6. I don't get my leg caught on his backside, I get my foot stuck on the cantle! I could just say it's the saddle but that would be a cop out. I do quite a lot of walking when time permits. It's almost as if my hips won't allow my leg to stretch out and over! I don't know how I'm going to combat the problem. It is a long way down isn't it? My dismount is NOT a pretty sight! :)

Rumtytum

Have Marmite, will travel
Visit site
So pleased your lesson went well, oh boy do I agree there's so much to remember..! As for dismounting, I'm right in thinking you've had only two goes at getting off? It's nothing considering how many years you have never needed to swing your leg so high! And also (this will sound dotty) your jodhpurs aren't tight and stopping you stretch your leg up and over? Have you practised whilst wearing them? I am sure when you have done it successfully once you will never have the prob again. Did you have to ride in the rain or did the weather stay fair for you?

Surbie

Visit site
Well!....I had another lesson today on Big Bo! My mouth was really dry, and I was nervous and excited at the same time! I'm so pleased. It went really well and my balance is getting better. And I wasn't flapping about like a tea towel on a washing line this time! But there is so much to remember! Liz my instructor is confident that things will 'get together' in time. However..........despite my effort to swing my leg over and spending 5 minutes every night having a good ol' swing, my leg got stuck again!.. it kind of ruined my lesson. What am I going to do?? I can see myself hopefully getting better and better IN the saddle but never being able to get off the damn horse!.....it's so ridiculous! I feel such a numpty! Aaagghhh! :(

I've just caught up on your progress - well done on flapping less! :)

Don't beat yourself up about the dismount, it will get easier in time. My left hip is very tight and when I started I rode almost straight-legged in a GP saddle so I could move the damn thing and give some semblence of aids. If I rode at the length my instructor wanted my left leg was immobile and useless. 3 months later, with riding more often, losing weight and trying to stretch more at home, I have managed to raise my stirrups 3 holes. And I can move that ruddy leg 99% of the time. These were quite useful: http://dressageridertraining.com/blog/4-stretches-help-hip-mobility-dressage-riders/

Like you, I've also found things have changed a fair bit since I was taught to ride - or perhaps for me it's that I am listening to all of it rather than just the bits I thought would help me go fast. :D

It's obvious you love it. Look forward to hearing more about how you are doing.

FFAQ

Visit site
Why don't you swing your leg in front of you, then lean over so you roll on to your tummy and slide off? Not the conventional dismount, but does that matter? That's how I was taught to dismount from the side saddle, and now I do it all the time.
Some saddles do have a really high cantle!

oldie48

Visit site
OK, you need to do pilates, preferably equi-pilates that focuses on your hip flexors. Or look on the internet for exercises that target the hip flexors, there's lots of simple things you can do to improve your range. good luc and continue to have lots of fun!

JenniD

Visit site
So pleased your lesson went well, oh boy do I agree there's so much to remember..! As for dismounting, I'm right in thinking you've had only two goes at getting off? It's nothing considering how many years you have never needed to swing your leg so high! And also (this will sound dotty) your jodhpurs aren't tight and stopping you stretch your leg up and over? Have you practised whilst wearing them? I am sure when you have done it successfully once you will never have the prob again. Did you have to ride in the rain or did the weather stay fair for you?
Yes, only two goes at getting off...grrr.....I went to bed last night trying to think of everything she said. No my jods aren't tight, if anything they're a bit slack from the knee down. Thinking of ways to shrink them! I have a pair of breeches and boots. I might try them next week. We had a shower before I left home but it cleared and thankfully the sun came out together with a nice breeze to keep the flies off Bo. Have you ridden lately?

I've just caught up on your progress - well done on flapping less! :)

Don't beat yourself up about the dismount, it will get easier in time. My left hip is very tight and when I started I rode almost straight-legged in a GP saddle so I could move the damn thing and give some semblence of aids. If I rode at the length my instructor wanted my left leg was immobile and useless. 3 months later, with riding more often, losing weight and trying to stretch more at home, I have managed to raise my stirrups 3 holes. And I can move that ruddy leg 99% of the time. These were quite useful: http://dressageridertraining.com/blog/4-stretches-help-hip-mobility-dressage-riders/

Like you, I've also found things have changed a fair bit since I was taught to ride - or perhaps for me it's that I am listening to all of it rather than just the bits I thought would help me go fast. :D

It's obvious you love it. Look forward to hearing more about how you are doing.
Wow that's quite something! You must really have exercised to the max to achieve 3 more holes in your stirrups! I shall go onto the site you've suggested and see what can be done. Many thanks for that. I get a bit impatient with myself I'm afraid. I'll be glad when I can coordinate everything and all the moves run smoothly. Thanks for your input and I look forward to more encouragement,

Why don't you swing your leg in front of you, then lean over so you roll on to your tummy and slide off? Not the conventional dismount, but does that matter? That's how I was taught to dismount from the side saddle, and now I do it all the time.
Some saddles do have a really high cantle!
I'm trying to envisage your side saddle dismount...I'll have to look it up on line and see if I can watch it on youtube. I'll take any suggestions I can get! Thanks.

OK, you need to do pilates, preferably equi-pilates that focuses on your hip flexors. Or look on the internet for exercises that target the hip flexors, there's lots of simple things you can do to improve your range. good luc and continue to have lots of fun!
Ok. Will look that one up too! Thankyou.:)

Rumtytum

Visit site
Yes, only two goes at getting off...grrr.....I went to bed last night trying to think of everything she said. No my jods aren't tight, if anything they're a bit slack from the knee down. Thinking of ways to shrink them! I have a pair of breeches and boots. I might try them next week. We had a shower before I left home but it cleared and thankfully the sun came out together with a nice breeze to keep the flies off Bo. Have you ridden lately?
Ah, glad you had pleasant fly-reduced weather! I rode on Tuesday, first time since the horrid 'you are a passenger in canter' session. My usual instructor was on hols and the instructor I had suggested we practised getting Flyte to go off the leg (success) and then one handed canter/trot transitions. Light bulb moment! It was SO easy! One of those rare lessons which ended with me feeling great. Decided in future I will have both instructors as they each help me in different ways. When do you ride next? I love this thread :)

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Glad your second lesson well :).

Are you perhaps trying to dismount too slowly? I've been watching the rerun of Mounted Branch, a fly on the wall documentary about the Greater Manchester mounted police. The rookies are taught to keep upright and keep their left foot in the stirrup, swing their right leg over til their feet are level, then take their left foot out of the stirrup and gently slide down to the ground landing softly on both feet. It's all quite slow amd measured. I think that may be ok for agile folk, but I'm not sure that it's very good for the horse or indeed for the saddle, as both have momentarily got to support the rider from the near side only.

I kind of fling myself off. I kick out both stirrups, and then in one continuous movement I bend forwards, put my left hand on the withers and swing my right leg back and over the cantle, pushing myself away slightly from the horse landing on both feet. This is where my age associated lack of agility comes into play, though, as I used to land lightly on the ground with my knees acting as shock absorbers. The landing these days is rather less graceful, hence me preferring to dismount in the arena rather on a hard surface :rolleyes3:.

Surbie

Visit site
This is where my age associated lack of agility comes into play, though, as I used to land lightly on the ground with my knees acting as shock absorbers. The landing these days is rather less graceful, hence me preferring to dismount in the arena rather on a hard surface :rolleyes3:.

Very much describes my method too. Once I've started, there's no stopping... :D

We teach the sidesaddle-style dismount at the RDA for riders will little hip flexibility. It does work well.

JenniD

Visit site
Well Tiddlypom, you sound like a gymnast to me!...lack of agility? You must have some sort of internal WD40 going on! All I can say is that I kind of try and bale out! But I agree with you..I'm too slow! not only that but I keep thinking of the lesson and what's going to happen at the end of it...i.e. Shock Horror! Now I've got to try and get off! Maybe it's psychological as well. I'm overthinking the whole procedure and should really 'get a grip'! I know there's more than one way to skin a cat (what a gruesome expression!) and have been advised, thankfully, by many of you tips on more than one type of dismount. Surbie..I googled sidesaddle-style dismount, and it makes a lot of sense. I'd give them all a go, but maybe my instructor wants me to get off the conventional way for safety/insurance reasons. I really don't know.

JenniD

Visit site
Ah, glad you had pleasant fly-reduced weather! I rode on Tuesday, first time since the horrid 'you are a passenger in canter' session. My usual instructor was on hols and the instructor I had suggested we practised getting Flyte to go off the leg (success) and then one handed canter/trot transitions. Light bulb moment! It was SO easy! One of those rare lessons which ended with me feeling great. Decided in future I will have both instructors as they each help me in different ways. When do you ride next? I love this thread :)
Awww, I'm really pleased for you! Isn't it lovely when things go right? The feeling is second to none. The difference between being able to 'take on the world' and feeling as weak as a kitten and going into 'what's the point' mode. The former makes it all worth while. But I suppose life in general is a bit of a roller coaster. My problem is that I take things too personally and if I get things wrong I feel a waste of space! But yesterday she was really pleased and I sure as hell ain't going to argue with her!! :)

Rumtytum

Visit site
Awww, I'm really pleased for you! Isn't it lovely when things go right? The feeling is second to none. The difference between being able to 'take on the world' and feeling as weak as a kitten and going into 'what's the point' mode. The former makes it all worth while. But I suppose life in general is a bit of a roller coaster. My problem is that I take things too personally and if I get things wrong I feel a waste of space! But yesterday she was really pleased and I sure as hell ain't going to argue with her!! :)
Generally I cope ok with stuff, but when things go wrong with my riding it really hits me, probably because I care so much, it's a HUGE thing in my life (don't tell the family:D). I thought about what I'd do if I were you, (not saying you should do it) and I'd probably ask to spend 5 or 10 minutes at the start of my lesson practising dismounting in the school. Before now I've twice asked my instructor to swap, get up in the saddle and show me how to do a particular thing when I didn't understand. It helped!

Last edited:

JenniD

Visit site
Generally I cope ok with stuff, but when things go wrong with my riding it really hits me, probably because I care so much, it's a HUGE thing in my life (don't tell the family:D). I thought about what I'd do if I were you, (not saying you should do it) and I'd probably ask to spend 5 or 10 minutes at the start of my lesson practising dismounting in the school. Before now I've twice asked my instructor to swap, get up in the saddle and show me how to do a particular thing when I didn't understand. It helped!

You make a lot of sense! I was miles away earlier...pondering, as you do! I was thinking about when I had a few lessons at another centre last year. I was riding another fairly big horse. It was a different kind of saddle, not as raised at the cantle, and I managed to dismount ok from that. But it would be silly of me to expect to ride a horse only if it didn't have a high cantle. That would be ludicrous! I'll mention it to my instructor on Wednesday at my next lesson. I've been looking at a few simple exercises on a dressage site that surbie suggested and have tried them out. They help to widen and 'unlock' the hips. I've got nothing to lose! Thanks for the suggestion.:)

Rumtytum

Visit site
Does sound as if your saddle is particularly high... The next best thing to winning yourself is someone else's wins (and sometimes it's even better). I am so looking forward to reading you conquered Mount Cantle, having had my own gremlins (canter fear) I know just how you'll feel when you do it :)

Surbie

Visit site
You can conquer Mount Cantle (I like that!)! My worst fear currently is trot work with no stirrups (unlocks my hip v quickly) when the alpacas come out across the field next door or the cat is hunting in the bushes along the edge of the school. He gets very elevated knees & I genuinely will be bounced out at some point. :D

Rumtytum

Visit site
I feel for you Surbie - Flyte has a very bouncy trot so keeping to a slow, controlled pace when stirrupless is vital, if there were roaming alpacas and a cat on hunting duty to cope with I fear it would end with an unceremonious launch out of the saddle. By the way I checked out the link you gave for exercises, am going to have a bash at them today thanks!

oldie48

Visit site
You can conquer Mount Cantle (I like that!)! My worst fear currently is trot work with no stirrups (unlocks my hip v quickly) when the alpacas come out across the field next door or the cat is hunting in the bushes along the edge of the school. He gets very elevated knees & I genuinely will be bounced out at some point. :D

Just a personal opinion but I would worry that trotting without stirrups for most riders would result in them using the reins to balance unless of course they were being lunged. Not nice for the horse really as they tend to jagged in the mouth I think walking without stirrups does just as well to open the hips or exercises off the horse can be helpful too. If you want to ride in a faster pace, canter is much easier to sit to generally unless of course your horse has a very small comfortable trot (mine doesn't!)

JenniD

Visit site
I feel for you Surbie - Flyte has a very bouncy trot so keeping to a slow, controlled pace when stirrupless is vital, if there were roaming alpacas and a cat on hunting duty to cope with I fear it would end with an unceremonious launch out of the saddle. By the way I checked out the link you gave for exercises, am going to have a bash at them today thanks!

The exercises are good! If they're do-able for me they'll be fine for everyone else. Thanks again for those surbie.

Rumtytum

Visit site
Just a personal opinion but I would worry that trotting without stirrups for most riders would result in them using the reins to balance unless of course they were being lunged. Not nice for the horse really as they tend to jagged in the mouth I think walking without stirrups does just as well to open the hips or exercises off the horse can be helpful too. If you want to ride in a faster pace, canter is much easier to sit to generally unless of course your horse has a very small comfortable trot (mine doesn't!)
Agreed absolutely, if there was any chance of me balancing on the reins and jagging the mouth I wouldn't do it and my instructor would call an immediate halt! Horrible for the poor horse. Luckily my balance is good (probably due to hours and hours on the lunge, highly recommended). Even though I have no hip opening problems (decades of gym work and stretching), I strive to be as good a rider as I possibly can be and any new exercises, whatever they are, are always welcome. Off to watch the videos!

Last edited:

Surbie

Visit site
Glad you like the exercises - I find they have helped a lot, though if you've done a lot of gym work you're probably familar with them anyway. I try to do 5 mins before I get on as well as doing them at home.

And likewise I agree about not jagging mouths. I have a neckstrap & ample mane within easy reach for exciting moments. I personally don't find walk helps as much, nor canter - though it is very enjoyable. A bit of soft, rhythmic trot and kaboom, if it's been stiff I can feel it easing. I don't know why trot works so well, but it does.

JenniD

Visit site
You can certainly feel the 'stretch' and 'pull'! My philosophy is, if it doesn't hurt a bit then it's not being done right! I shall do them religiously as often as I can. :)

JenniD

Visit site
I have made the decision to help out at the livery yard up the road as much as I can. I'm going there tomorrow in the afternoon anyway. I shall groom, clean tack and muck out and try to relearn as much as I can and deal with different horses personalities. I want to learn about horses illnesses, their different types of feeds and anything else that might stand me in good stead if I decide to get a 'friend' of my own. If I don't do it now, I never will. I'm sure that I won't learn everything there is to know. I enjoy reading everyone's posts on this forum and I have to say that a lot of you deserve medals!! Some of the horses I read about sound like real handfuls but they all seem to be dealt with and come up trumps. Anyway, I'll bore you no longer...just wanted to share what was on my mind. My husband and I don't talk about it much...he has his interests and I have mine! :)

Rumtytum

Visit site
Spot on! Said exactly the same "If I don't do it now I never will" when I got off the camel in Dubai almost 2 years ago... What a brilliant idea to gain experience at the livery yard, for when/if you get your very own 'friend'. Am a bit jealous, it's probable I never will:( as we've just built a house on a Greek island and will spend quite a lot of time there. I'll miss 'my' RS horse so much! The posts on this website are brilliant, it's my horsey fix as, apart from the stables, I have no one to talk equine talk. Husband used to hunt before we met, he tries but really can't understand why, after 19 months, I'm not tearing round the countryside clearing 5 foot fences. So no chance of you boring me! And if you ever want extra chat, just pm me.... Did Surbie's exercises, really good, some overlap with my gym stuff, I love and will do The Frog partly because of the name ha ha