Starting Pony on Prascend - What to Expect

JJS

Visit site
Hi all,

Just looking for some advice and your experiences really. I had full bloods done on my little Welsh on Tuesday, after he started to lose weight rapidly. Coupled with this year's woolly mammoth look, I suspected Cushings, and the test came back with a positive reading today. His levels were at 103. I've already been to the vets and picked up a two month supply of Prascend, and he's starting on half a tablet per day (0.5mg).

I already know all about Cushings in theory, but I'd still be very interested in any information that anyone thinks might be helpful. I know the potential side effects, but was wondering how often people have actually found themselves dealing with them? I'm also curious as to how long it took for most people to see the medication take effect. I don't expect to see any changes overnight, but it would be nice to know whether I'm looking at around two weeks to begin seeing a slight improvement, or closer to six.

Welshie is already on a high fibre, low sugar, low starch diet, and will be retested in four to six weeks.

Anything that anyone thinks I ought to know, please feel free to share: this pony is my little ray of sunshine, and I'm determined to help him get back to full fighting fitness.

Thanks in advance!

Kezzabell2

Visit site
Firstly, I'm sorry for your pony having cushings!

My mare was diagnosed a year and a half ago! she's 15hh and her count was 250 +, so started on 1 with no effects, was put up to 4, and her levels then reduced!

she started go refuse to eat, which I have discovered is something that happens when their dose is too high, so she is now down to 3 a day and is much happier!

She is still fluffy but not as bad as she was! I used to keep her clipped all year round but she's not been clipped since last summer! sort of wish I had clipped her now, as its all starting to come out!

I would say that for my horse 6 weeks wasn't long enough before retesting, but that could have been because 1 tablet a day wasn't enough! once you've finished your 2 boxes, ask the vet for a prescription and buy them online, they are about 40p a tablet cheaper online! although 2 boxes will last you almost a year, if he stays on 1/2 a day!

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
Mine wouldn't eat anything but grass and hay for a while when he started on it. He eats his feed now but is a lot fussier about what he will eat than he used to be.

His main symptoms were drinking and peeing a lot and that was gone within 2 days of starting the tablets.

JJS

Visit site

My mare was diagnosed a year and a half ago! she's 15hh and her count was 250 +, so started on 1 with no effects, was put up to 4, and her levels then reduced!

she started go refuse to eat, which I have discovered is something that happens when their dose is too high, so she is now down to 3 a day and is much happier!

She is still fluffy but not as bad as she was! I used to keep her clipped all year round but she's not been clipped since last summer! sort of wish I had clipped her now, as its all starting to come out!

I would say that for my horse 6 weeks wasn't long enough before retesting, but that could have been because 1 tablet a day wasn't enough! once you've finished your 2 boxes, ask the vet for a prescription and buy them online, they are about 40p a tablet cheaper online! although 2 boxes will last you almost a year, if he stays on 1/2 a day!

Thanks, Kezzabell and Gloi! Very helpful advice re buying online!

I'm dreading him losing his appetite as he really has dropped condition in the last couple of weeks, so fingers crossed that the dosage will be right and that he manages to avoid that particular side effect - normally he's the sort of pony who will hoover up anything you put in front of him.

Last edited:

Montyforever

Visit site
Sorry to hear, had the same thing with my little mare last august!
Took around 4-6 weeks for her to get back to normal, she completely went off her hay so had to have high fibre haylege for the first month or so then slowly be weaned back onto hay. She started out just picking at her feed but started eating it properly again fairly quickly, but the bigger issue was the depression! She was so down in the dumps but thankfully it passed and after all of those i have a very happy and healthy pony back and am now struggling to keep her weight down!!!

peaceandquiet1

Visit site
Our pony showed quite rapid improvement in her appearance and coat and we did not experience the "veil" where apparently the animal is very down. The tablets ahve made a massive difference to our 25 Welsh A.

Old Bat

Visit site
We've had two diagnosed in recent years, with symptoms being excessive drinking and weeing, holding onto their coat and a bit dull. both picked up within a week of being on Prascend. One was diagnosed at 17 and had three happy more years before succumbing to laminitis and neurological problems on the same day. The other was diagnosed 7 years ago at 11 with an initial count of 575, dropped after the first test to 54 then managed at under 30 since on just half a tablet in the winter months and 1/4 in the summer. She picked up after a week, is a permanent joy to be with, has been in full work ever since with both us and a splendid loan home and has just had her latest count taken at 12.

Good luck with yours, every pony will react differently, many show a "veil" but we didn't see it with either of ours.

_HP_

Visit site
It's now recommended that you introduce Prascend gradually to help with the side effects of loss of appetite etc. so start off at a quarter dose and gradually build up to the full dose.
Lots of help and advice on the Facebook group EMS equine Metabolic Syndrome Cushings PPID and Laminitis UK . They run a fantastic group and offer well researched advice based on experience and scientific research.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Hi all,

Just looking for some advice and your experiences really. I had full bloods done on my little Welsh on Tuesday, after he started to lose weight rapidly. Coupled with this year's woolly mammoth look, I suspected Cushings, and the test came back with a positive reading today. His levels were at 103. I've already been to the vets and picked up a two month supply of Prascend, and he's starting on half a tablet per day (0.5mg).

I already know all about Cushings in theory, but I'd still be very interested in any information that anyone thinks might be helpful. I know the potential side effects, but was wondering how often people have actually found themselves dealing with them? I'm also curious as to how long it took for most people to see the medication take effect. I don't expect to see any changes overnight, but it would be nice to know whether I'm looking at around two weeks to begin seeing a slight improvement, or closer to six.

Welshie is already on a high fibre, low sugar, low starch diet, and will be retested in four to six weeks.

Anything that anyone thinks I ought to know, please feel free to share: this pony is my little ray of sunshine, and I'm determined to help him get back to full fighting fitness.

Thanks in advance!

First sympathies for your little welshie. My donkey was diagnosed with cushings in the Autumn last year - her bloods were 99. Her skin had been terrible for about 5 years and skin scrapes showed fungal. I started her on soya which improved it. Looking back now I think this was the beginning of the cushings
diamond%20002_zpsvtxywxek.jpg
Vet told me the options which were leave it or treat it, I opted for treat as I already lost my beloved mare to Laminitis, so the decision to start the Prascend was was easy.
She was on it one month did loose her appetite and still funny with her feed (I think it is because she prefers the horses feed rather than the donkey chaff)then re checked her bloods which had dropped down to 27 which was amazing. She now is staying on 1/2 a Prascend daily. I will have to clip her this year as she is like all donkeys - very wooly, I think keeping equine on this wonderful tablet can give the individual a new lease on life and it is a small cost for th happiness on the animals.

I always muzzle her and the welshie I have is strip grazed - though I am waiting for blood results to see if my welshie's liver enzymes have come down or not, or she will have to go to the RVC.

Last edited:

oldie48

Visit site
My TB has been on prascend for 4 years now, started off on 1 tab and is now on 2. He didn't suffer any loss of appetite, nor was he depressed. His main symptoms were excessive drinking and weeing and not shedding his coat properly. He's 27 now and retired but mainly because of arthritis. Although he's lost a bit of weight over the winter, he's generally well in himself. I found he seemed better within a couple of weeks of starting on prascend. I also buy online as it's so much cheaper.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
My TB has been on prascend for 4 years now, started off on 1 tab and is now on 2. He didn't suffer any loss of appetite, nor was he depressed. His main symptoms were excessive drinking and weeing and not shedding his coat properly. He's 27 now and retired but mainly because of arthritis. Although he's lost a bit of weight over the winter, he's generally well in himself. I found he seemed better within a couple of weeks of starting on prascend. I also buy online as it's so much cheaper.
May I ask where you buy it and how much cheaper it is??

paddy555

Visit site
http://www.vet-medic.com/search/prascend

this is usually one of the cheapest.

Mine was in very poor condition and had lost a of muscle. I fed micronised linseed, copra and alfalfa pellets plus natural (not synthetic) vit E oil. This got the condition back on. I thought he wouldn't like the copra so I let him steal it. He soon got to like it when he thought it was forbidden.

I started on a quarter a day and built up to one over 2 weeks (500kg) to avoid the pergolide veil.

After he had been on the full one tablet for a couple of weeks he went crazy. Like he had a new lease of life. He was like the duracell bunny on a wrecking spree. Didn't do my fields much good. After this he calmed down and became normal. It did give him his life back.
good luck OP.

Finlib

Visit site
The cheapest at 94 p a tablet is Animed Here is a link to it.
http://www.animeddirect.co.uk/prescriptions/prascend-1mg-tablets-for-horses-priced-per-tablet.html

My horse started on 1 tablet a day 3 weeks ago and he seems not to have any side effects.
Mind you he had absolutely no symptoms and we only tested him because he had 5 abscesses in 2 months during january and february .
He has a good top line no fat pads beautiful coat which he is shedding normally and no laminitis.
The farrier suggested testing as the quality of his hooves had deteriorated and he had 5 abscesses in his front feet since Christmas . His reading was 210.
I plan to get him re tested in 6 weeks and then get a prescription to buy on line.

Last edited:

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
mine was depressed and not losing her coat and I got her tested for cushings in aug 2011, her levels were 172, she is 24 now and 15.2 and started on 1 prascend daily and I saw a difference in her demeanour within about 2 weeks, the coat shedding started about 8 weeks later. her levels have been difficult to control and i have gradually had to increase the tablets to 4....however she is feeling and looking really well (sometimes too well!!!!!) I also now use animed as they are the cheapest I can find....good luck with yours ..

Finlib

Visit site
here is a list of online suppliers I got from another forum
www.animeddirect.co.uk
http://www.animeddirect.co.uk/pre...or-horses-priced-per-tablet.html#
1 mg Prascend £0.94 (Dec 2014)
Free UK delivery. Delivery to mainland UK only.

www.vet-medic.com
http://www.vet-medic.com/search/prascend
1 mg Prascend £0.05 (Dec 2014)
Free UK delivery.
Appear to deliver to Europe with EU vet prescription.

www.vetscriptions.co.uk
http://www.vetscriptions.co.uk/mm...de=PRASCEND160&Category_Code=
160 x 1 mg Prascend £169.99 (£1.06 inc VAT per 1 mg tablet) (Dec 2014)
Delivery from £3.20

www.******.co.uk
http://www.******.co.uk/Prescript...Prascend/c1_34_3216/category.html
1 mg Prascend £1.07 inc VAT (Dec 2014)
Free UK delivery on orders over £29.
Deliver to Europe with EU vet prescription.

www.myvetmeds.co.uk
http://www.myvetmeds.co.uk/pergolide-tablets-250mcg.htm
Now ****** (Dec 2014)

www.pharmplexdirect.com
http://www.pharmplexdirect.com/prascend-1mg-tablets-160-p-66022.html
160 x 1 mg Prascend £180 (£1.125 inc VAT per 1 mg tablet) (Nov 2014)
Deliver

Micky

Visit site
thelaminitissite has lots of info re all your questions, fabulous fb page link too...excessive weeing and drinking can be a sign of ems as well which can go hand in hand with ppid ( cushings), low sugar/starch diet is good, exercise recommended to help with ems. My lad started improving within a couple of weeks, back to norm and a bit exuberant after 6 wks...read all you can and gem up so you can help your horse and get some form of normality back :)...i'm back riding again, trace clip every winter and rug accordingly ( they can struggle to control their body temperature with ppid)...restricted grazing, soaked hay, hard feed sugar/starch levels below 10% combined. :)

southerncomfort

Visit site
Just to let you know that my little mare stopped both eating and drinking when I first tried her on Prascend so I took her off it. Recently restarted her on it but used another drug alongside it which is an appetite stimulant. It did the trick and we've had no problems at all this time.

Good luck with it. They are definately better on Prascend than not. x

MagicMelon

Visit site
I've got my veteran pony currently on prascend and had my Shetland on it for a while - both totally different cases. My pony has been on it for about 6 years now I think, he didn't show any signs of big signs of cushings when we got him tested, he just seemed to hold onto a lot of his coat over the summer and my barefoot trimmer suggested we had him tested and it was positive. He's been (touch wood) fine since with no problems and no other signs or side effects etc. However, my Shetland kept getting laminitis no matter what we did so we had her tested - positive so started her on Prascend. It didn't work at the rate given to begin with (she kept foundering) so vet told us to increase dose but that then made her have diarrhea so we had to reduce it again but it really wasn't working at that level so we were pretty stuck. Because we couldn't stop the laminitis attacks and they were getting far too frequent, we decided that was time to PTS sadly. So 2 totally different results, but I think it might help how quickly you get them on it - my Shetland could have had cushings for some time prior for example and I wouldn't have thought my pony had it but he did. All react differently though, you can only try it and see if it works for you. Good luck OP, cushings is a horrible thing :( x

Colouredwelsh

Visit site
My 9yr old LR pony was diagnosed with Cushings in October last year after having several bouts of laminitis. She had 1 tablet for 1 month then reduced to half a tablet after that.
She responded well and had no side effects. Unfortunately she also had EMS and was so sensitive to change that when we had slightly warmer weather she went straight down with laminitis again.

That was 3 weeks ago and sadly I made the decision to have her PTS 2 weeks ago. It was the right decision. We had fought with this for the last 18 months and she wasn't a happy pony in the stable.

I can't believe she's gone but she's free of pain now and we have some beautiful memories and pictures of her.

JJS

Visit site
Thank you all for your brilliant insights and information. It's not only useful, but also comforting to know that others have been in the same boat, and many have come out of the other end with happy, healthy ponies who have a good quality of life.

S is two doses in now and so far behaving as normal, although I suspect any side effects wouldn't have had time to show themselves yet. At the moment he's happy to eat the tablet out of your palm, so fingers crossed he holds onto his appetite and it continues to be this easy to get the medication down him.

Fruitcake

Visit site
My Sec A had a terrible time on Prascend a couple of years ago. He was really depressed, lost weight and had dreadful ataxia: He didn't seem aware of where his feet were and, in the stable in low light, could barely walk around. It was awful. The dose was reduced to a quarter of a tablet a day. We persevered for a few months but eventually it was decided that he just couldn't tolerate the drug. He's on Vitex- herbal supplement from the Laminitis Clinic now. I've made the decision that it's going to be about quality of life rather than quantity with him.

I think they can all respond differently though. I hope your pony is doing well.

MummyEms

Visit site

Are the vets happy to do this? Our wonderful pony club pony who is my daughters best friend has just been diagnosed and started prascend yesterday from the vet.

meleeka

Visit site
Are the vets happy to do this? Our wonderful pony club pony who is my daughters best friend has just been diagnosed and started prascend yesterday from the vet.
Mine price match. I just email them what I’ve found it for online and they charge me that, plus a prescription charge. It’s currently £1.06 I think. They will also just issue a prescription if I preferred.

Cocorules

Visit site
Mine had it. She has now died, but she did not appear to suffer side effects. One tip is to read the prascend manufacturer's website as that says it is ok to dissolve the tablet in warm water and that made it easy to add to feed. She would never have swallowed it and my vet was dead against doing this. I did it for years with mine and it was fine. I just took a flask of warm water with me and dissolved the tablet in the cup each time. I only used that flask fir this purpose and got rid of it after she died.

The other as mentioned above is to get a paper prescription from the vet and buy online. Some vets price match. Mine didn't but the saving was substantial.

Winters100

Visit site
Poor you, but don't worry, now you know what it is you can deal with it. The best tip (which I got here) was to give the tablet in dry food. Mine will not accept it hidden in apple or carrot, but in a handful of muesli takes it without a problem. After 6 weeks mine tested normal on 1/2 a tablet a day, and now she is looking great on half the amount of hard food that she previously needed. Good luck!

Lucky Snowball

Visit site
I would start with a quarter of a tablet and build up. My horse was diagnosed at 11 yrs when she had really bad laminitis. Totally out of the blue - she was jumping brilliantly on the Sunday and by Wednesday she was on box rest where she stayed for pretty much 6 months. I was ultra careful with rehab and very strict with her diet. She was back in full work (on Prescend) after 12 months. Never had another bout of laminitis and never sick or sorry. Looking and feeling fantastic until I lost her to colic at 24 yrs.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
My pony started in half a tablet about 2 years back.
He’s never had side effects, the only changes have been very much for the better. He was very footy all the time, hairy in summer, just not right.
He’s now comfortable and shiny healthy looking.
We had to up his dose to 3 quarters last Autumn because he was really itchy and we checked his levels, can’t think what the results were but it was no longer controlled.
The only thing I found the first year was giving it to be a problem. At first I just popped it in a handful of chaff, then he stopped eating it. We progressed through various other ways of giving it. Carrots, apples, parsnips, various feeds and all lasted a while before he’d start refusing.
These days he has a handful of hifi lite and nuts which wasn’t my ideal. Both contain stuff he ideally wouldn’t be fed…. But, he has reliable eaten his tablet in a very small amount of those feeds for over a year now.
I can’t say how much they have changed his life for the better.

Winters100

Visit site
Thanks all, but this was seven years ago! Pony is still medicated and much loved, and I’ve actually been an admin on the PPID Facebook group for several years, so it’s fair to say I know my stuff these days ?

Could we ask how is pony doing? Any top tips for those of us starting out?