Starting Pony on Prascend - What to Expect

JJS

Visit site
Could we ask how is pony doing? Any top tips for those of us starting out?

He’s not had the easiest winter, but at 29, age was going to catch up with him eventually. What I will say is that he still looks incredible and that it’s well worth persevering with treatment.

Weight loss was probably Six’s first major symptom, but thanks to hay replacers and Prascend, that’s not something we struggle with anymore. The same goes for most of the other minor symptoms that were plaguing us at that point.

Without the pink pill, I genuinely think we’d have had to call it a day seven years ago, but instead, it bought us so much more time together. For Six, it really was a life saver ❤️

You can see him making a brief appearance here in this video from September. Not looking too shabby for an old boy!

MagicMelon

Visit site
Ive had 2 with cushings. The first unfortunately didnt work out well, we only found out she had it after she started getting laminitis (when we'd always been careful and she'd never had it prior). Unfortunately she needed a certain amount of the medication to stop her getting laminitis but that amount also gave her horrific diahorrea, if we lowered it then she got laminitis again. We played around as much as we could to find the right place with the meds with the vet but just couldnt find it. We ended up having to have her PTS. My other pony lived with cushings and medication for about 6 years (he was older already) but then he came down with colic which we couldnt get him over so he was also PTS, we found out after that his cushings levels were not under control and he should have been on more meds but other than checking yearly, I didnt know I probably should have had him checked every 6 months...

TheOldTrout

Completely Unknown Member
Visit site
My mare's having the test for it on Wednesday. Only symptom is that she's drinking more. Following this thread with interest!

exracehorse

Visit site
Beau is 27. He came to me for retirement livery a year ago after his owner passed away. He was very sad. And appetite non existent. Prascacend does suppress the appetite. I’ve honestly tried EVERY hard feed in the market. The only feed he loves is cheap pony nuts. Soaked. He finishes his bowl. He’s not a fan of hay/haylage. So .. again I’ve sourced and tried different types. And now have it cracked. He’s not carrying much weight. And has a wooly teddy bear coat this winter. But as his fetlocks have dropped, I wouldn’t want him to be carrying too much. Funny enough .. after being with me for a year in a stress free one to one relationship, his recent blood test showed his levels had dropped. Plus his protein levels. And he’s on half a tablet a day. AB2DF7D9-FA44-4FB4-9EE0-46DA3801FCF9.jpeg