Starting to compete young horse is this normal?

chancing

Visit site
Evening all, just wondered if people could share their experiences and possibly advise, thank you.

Just started to take my young horse (6) out and about. Went to dressage last weekend 7th time and he behaved impeccably was really pleased with him as tried a new venue and lots going on and he was fantastic in the warm up and in the main arena.

However...

Taken him to clear round showjumping a couple of times and he is a different horse. The first time was a nightmare he got extremely excited in the warm up and felt ready to explode didnt manage to get him round, second time he settled slightly and managed to jump round with one down only doing 60-70cm at the moment.

Taken him xc schooling several times as he is fairly good not 100% brave but is very nappy if you go with another horse and can get very strong and excitable. Went to a hunter trial last sunday (60cm) so only very small and he got extremely excited in the warm up broncing, trying to tank after other horses and then on the course I was struggling with him inbetween fences he doesnt seem to want to take me forward I had to really ride him into every fence and we didnt really get up to speed

So..Il get to the point sorry!

1. is it normal for a green/young horse to be slightly sticky going out on a course on their own at first and get easily distracted between fences - they were alot smaller than we school over and very simple
2. will the warm up phase improve as going to a dressage competition he is so settled in warm up and arena
3. what can i do to work on this
4. has anyone had this same problem?

Thank you

PorkChop

Visit site
Yes!

Of course some go out and behave like they have been doing it all their lives :)

Repetition is the key, go to as many lessons, clinics, low key competitions as you can. It will get better, just start competitions that you know will be quiet. Often they are wild because they are out of their comfort zone and lacking in confidence - he needs you to hold his hand :)

be positive

Visit site
1 Of course it is "normal" , the first few times he will be distracted, looking about him and possibly hanging back to all the other horses he has left in the warm up, it is nothing like going schooling as far as he is concerned.
2/ 3 yes it should but you need to keep things calm, try not to wind him up just because it is xc he can still warm up in much the same way as you would for dressage with a jump or two before you set off, just because everyone else is galloping about doesn't mean he has to join in, plenty of time to learn to go at xc pace once he has learnt how to get going and jump on the course, if he wants to trot into fences let him until he is more confident and established.
4 yes many people, even the pros will have spooky, green, nappy etc horses that they have to train while they are out and about, not every horse will be the same competing as they are schooling.

I like to do a pairs class or two with a young horse as it can really help get them enjoying the job, they can have a lead at times then take over once they are going forward, with a more experienced pair it can sit behind ready to overtake if things become sticky.

With the SJ go to a venue doing clear round and just go to do that, pop round a few times to build his confidence and he will soon understand what is required, confidence is the key and building it is the most important part of bringing on a youngster.

chancing

Visit site
Thank you both :) good advice I think I knew it really in the back of my mind but needed reassurance. It's always good to hear of other people's experience. Thanks guys

soulfull

Visit site
Yes very normal
One of mine was fine in Dr warm up but very silly in SJ warm up.
Can you hire a venue with SJ and work slowly with him

Fiona

Visit site
My TB mare literally did airs above the ground in warmup as a 5 and 6yo.. It was normally the first time she attended a new venue, and much better subsequently. ..

Fiona

honetpot

Visit site
Not done for a while but we used to take them to RC lessons so they get used to being in a group, leaving the group and if you have trouble have another to take a lead without the pressure of competing.

chancing

Visit site
Thank you all again it's so good to hear of other people having the same or similar problems. Yes I do try and hire an arena from time to time and he's fine it seems to be in the competition environment which is still
new to both of us. Fingers crossed keep plugging away and it will get better and easier for us both.

michelledud

Visit site
Agree with all of the above, only thing to add is can you take your instructor with you? It might be the horse getting excited etc or it might be you but you might not realise. Your regular instructor will be able to tell, and help you accordingly
xx

Bustermartin

Visit site
Completely normal. The most important thing you can do is to get him out as much as possible. Go to a show and just wander around, don't actually enter anything. In contrast, hire out a nearby arena, but go in a lorry/trailer, do a 'warm up' and then jump a small course. Make it so that it becomes so normal it is almost boring. He will get there with time and patience and the opportunity to practice lots!

NZJenny

Visit site
This is the hardest bit about owning and bringing on young horses, I recon, and the work that so many people think "just happens" when they go looking for a made horse. Just riding them at home, where they are comfortable, is a piece of cake compared to the butt clenching moments that can happen when you start getting them out and about!