Static shocks help please

Louby

Visit site
I think Im giving my poor horse static shocks. It started with him flinching like he had had an electric shock and shooting off when I caught him in the field but then looking at me in shock and wanting to come back to me. This has happened a few times now and I put it down to the fly mask as it had been raining or he had rolled and there was mud on it so I presumed his vision was slightly obscured. But its since happened when he didnt have his mask on and again today in the stable, I feel awful, he shoots off and looks at me in shock, like what the hell have you just done to me and is scared then to come near me.
Any thoughts as to if its static and if so any ideas how to stop it happening again?

Sugar_and_Spice

Visit site
yes I did it to the yard dog once and she didn't come near me for weeks after bless her. I sort it by touching something else first, usually my car, then I get the shock and the dog is safe when she comes to say hello.

Louby

Visit site
Great idea thanks, I will get some of those gloves asap.
I get shocks from my car when I get out and when I remove his fly rug I think we are going to go up in flames with the static eeeek!! I have a bit of a walk from the car park area to the field so sadly cant touch a car as Ive probably built up more static before I get to the field. I will def try the gloves first, feel awful on my poor boy

Equi

Visit site
I get them every time I get out of my car. I'm like a mad lady getting out of it cause I try to close the door without touching it then run around touching non-metallic things to get the shock away lol

Louby

Visit site
Ha ha, me too. It never crossed my mind that I was the cause until someone mentioned it today. I feel really mean now :(

Spot_the_Risk

www.animalcrackersdevon.co.uk
When you get out of your car, shut the door by pushing the glass rather than the metal, then you've avoided the shock. Touch the ground to discharge the static you've built up (yes it sounds mad but does work). Defoe touch the ground before you touch your horse, and ditch the fleece rugs, waffle cotton is static free.

Louby

Visit site
When you get out of your car, shut the door by pushing the glass rather than the metal, then you've avoided the shock. Touch the ground to discharge the static you've built up (yes it sounds mad but does work). Defoe touch the ground before you touch your horse, and ditch the fleece rugs, waffle cotton is static free.

So if I just touch the ground before touching him I should be static free? Someone suggested I go to the field wearing wellies and not my usual jod boots. No wonder the poor lad is scared :(

SallyBatty

Visit site
I am always getting shocks off my car and the metal yard gates so I now try and shut the door by pushing on the window and put both hands on the wooden sign which is on the gate before I open it and that seems to work for me.

fatpiggy

Visit site
I seem to generate static for a hobby! When I was a kid I had long hair and if I rubbed it on nylon fabric I could light up a room- seriously. It still likes to wander onto other people's shoulders if I let it grow a bit. I get shocks a dozen times a day at work, probably because the office carpet is nylon. I even got one off the pot plant a few days ago - just about any surface I touch zaps me :(

Jo1987

Visit site
I always get shocks getting out of the car as well. I shut the door with my elbow as it's not as unpleasant as a shock to the fingertip! I will try the touching the ground idea, as I often give my horses shocks as well. They all react differently to it, one gets very offended and nips me, one runs off and is very suspicious, and the cob doesn't seem to notice, but I have seen him wince when it's a particularly powerful one! Poor lad.

Dry Rot

Visit site
Years ago a lot of people had a small chain or wire fixed to the car body slightly dragging on the ground to discharge static. Now I've read this thread, I don't recall seeing one for ages. Maybe there is not such a problem with modern tyres? If you Google "discharging static electricity" quite a lot of pages come up. Haven't bothered to read them as in soggy Scotland it does not seem to be a problem! I am betting those affected live in the drier parts of the country?

Pippity

Visit site
I'm glad somebody asked this before me! I'm constantly zapping my poor boy, especially when taking off his fly rug or fleece! I'll try touching the ground first in future.

Visit site
I get terrible static and shocks from my car, so when I get out I put my hand on roof before putting feet on the floor, a tip I found on the net. However, if I then go to touch a parking ticket machine I get a shock off that ! Makes me really nervous of touching anything, even the yard gate metal latch !

Louby

Visit site
Thanks everyone, seems Im not the only one then! Really odd today as Id managed not to zap him, so thought I wasnt charged up :) then he came over for a cuddle, touched my hand and shot off to the other side of the stable :( then wouldnt come near me. I think I need the piece of metal/plastic car thing attached to me to earth me!! I think catching him later may be interesting, poor boy :(

fatpiggy

Visit site
Years ago a lot of people had a small chain or wire fixed to the car body slightly dragging on the ground to discharge static. Now I've read this thread, I don't recall seeing one for ages. Maybe there is not such a problem with modern tyres? If you Google "discharging static electricity" quite a lot of pages come up. Haven't bothered to read them as in soggy Scotland it does not seem to be a problem! I am betting those affected live in the drier parts of the country?

No you don't see them any more because a. they don't work, and b. sheeple moved on to the next fad.

guido16

Visit site
My car tries to electrify me when I get out if I am wearing my crocs. As others have said, you need to earth it and touch the ground.
Granted, you will look mad as a box of kippers touching the ground every time you get out your car......
Other alternative is to go find someone you dislike and touch them first..

OWLIE185

Visit site
The reason you are generating static electricity in your car is because of the dry heat within your car and rubbing against your car seats with synthetic clothing. The solution is to wear different clothing.

WandaMare

Visit site
I got a spray bottle to stop the zap with the fly rugs. Just spray a light mist of water over the rug before removing and it stops the static. Its the dryness which makes it worse. No risk of any static on my yard today, its pouring down here!