Statutory requirement for Dogs/Hounds to be Microchipped by 6 April 2016

Judgemental

The Internet makes one's location irrelevant
Visit site
With the new requirement by the Under Secretary of State, using a Statutory Instrument in relative to the Animal Welfare Act 2006, all dogs and hounds have to be microchipped by 6 April 2016.

It occured to me that perhaps some hunts already microchip their hounds, in addition to the tatoo in the ear?

Does anybody know of packs where the whole pack are all microchipped.

Yet another harrasement type job for the so-called monitors 'to wave the readers around to check that hounds are chipped'.

Last edited:

Countryman

Visit site
The Hunting Department of the CA was backing this legislation (partly because it will help against gundog thefts?) and said that over the last few years they've been liasing with the MFHA to ensure all packs in the country are ready and prepared for micro-chipping.

I don't know of any specific packs which have micro-chipped already, fairly sure we haven't, but I have a hunch the Kimblewick may have? Then again I could be wrong!

lauraandjack

Visit site
Yet another piece of largely useless legislation, a lot like horse passports!

A great idea in theory. But who is going to make sure that the database stays up to date when people move house or a dog is sold or rehomed? (Probably the same people that make sure all the fly-grazed horses have passports............!!)

A microchip simply contains a 12 digit number, which is then cross referenced against a database. But if the details on the database aren't up to date, you are no better off than if the dog wasn't microchipped at all!

Dry Rot

Visit site
Yet another piece of largely useless legislation, a lot like horse passports!

A great idea in theory. But who is going to make sure that the database stays up to date when people move house or a dog is sold or rehomed? (Probably the same people that make sure all the fly-grazed horses have passports............!!)

A microchip simply contains a 12 digit number, which is then cross referenced against a database. But if the details on the database aren't up to date, you are no better off than if the dog wasn't microchipped at all!

Exactly! So no different to the current legislation which requires all dogs to wear a collar with a tag showing the owner's details. And we all know how rigourously that law is applied.:rolleyes:

EAST KENT

Visit site
Damn sight easier to look in a lug and read of it`s hunt ID letters and then the actual number of the hound in the other lug.Why fix something not broken?All my own dogs are tattooed and on a national database,so I suppose now there will be the extra expense of a chip..that no one can see without a scanner?Ridiculous,utterly ridiculous.

Dry Rot

Visit site
Damn sight easier to look in a lug and read of it`s hunt ID letters and then the actual number of the hound in the other lug.Why fix something not broken?All my own dogs are tattooed and on a national database,so I suppose now there will be the extra expense of a chip..that no one can see without a scanner?Ridiculous,utterly ridiculous.

Apparently, the chips will be supplied and inserted free of charge by animal charities.

I'm told you can buy a chip zapper (for use before the chavs dump their pit bulls) off Ebay so dogs won't be traceable after all.

Should be highly effective considering how well the horse passport scheme works!:D:D:D

oakash

Visit site
May I suggest that this legislation is amended to include so-called 'Hunt monitors'?

Perhaps an ear tag as well, yellow on the left ear with a number designating their area, and red for violent ones on the right ear, orange for those without a record, and green for useless ones

Judgemental

The Internet makes one's location irrelevant
Visit site
May I suggest that this legislation is amended to include so-called 'Hunt monitors'?

Perhaps an ear tag as well, yellow on the left ear with a number designating their area, and red for violent ones on the right ear, orange for those without a record, and green for useless ones

Oakash, what an excellent idea.

There is a degree of irony in your comment, in that a yellow ear tag in a beeve, cow or cattle denotes that the beast is mortgaged to the bank.

Perhaps the league and the RSPCA, black:)