Stayaway shows

chestnutride

Visit site
I'm going away to my first stayaway show this weekend, not completely sure how it works or what to bring! other than tack, grooming stuff, feed, bedding, do I need to bring my own bedding and hay? Also I'm really confused if I bring mucking out equipment, is there a muckheap?

Very sorry I'm stress writing right now!

rara007

Visit site
Sorry to not be helpful but it depends! Hay I usually take my own, bedding often the first bake is provided but not always. You can usually buy on site, but again not always. There’ll be no a muck heap, take your own tools suitable for the bedding that’ll be there. I like to take a proper wheelbarrow if space allows incase that’s a distance away.

Shay

Visit site
It depends on the venue! Personally I take everything. I want my own hay anyway so there isn't a change for the horse and I am sure of quality. I tend to take bedding because it is expensive to buy from the venue. I prefer a small barrow, fork and broom - but I know others do manage with a poop scoop and that small hand rake. Don't rely on the bed having been mucked out before you get there - some folk just leave the stable and it can be disgusting. I also wipe down with Virkon as part of standard bio security. (Got ringworm from a venue once years ago...) Don't forget buckets. Have fun!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Where are you going? At Somerford they allow one bale of shavings on a concrete floor, left unopened for when you arrive and you must clear every scrap when you leave. No tools, you'll need your own.

At other places the bed is there from previous use and there are yard tools.

Have fun!

CatInTheSaddle

Visit site
Comfortable shoes! I always end up walking miles at stayaways and blisters from trudging about in riding boots are no good. Also consider taking a lightweight waterproof rug if you're in temporary stabling, as sometimes the roof can leak. Wheelbarrow is invaluable for carting stuff from lorry to stable! And spare pairs of clothes for when you're done riding. Love a stayaway, have fun!

Squeak

Visit site
Depending on where you're going take a turnout for your horse as some of the temporary stables can be very drafty and rain can either blow or leak in.

J&S

Visit site
You also might need the turnout rug just for walk exercise with your horse. When I went to Lincoln it was wet and misty for three days. I did as much hand grazing as I could. It was so flat and open, the weather came straight from Russia!

dorsetladette

Visit site
Where are you going? At Somerford they allow one bale of shavings on a concrete floor, left unopened for when you arrive and you must clear every scrap when you leave. No tools, you'll need your own.

At other places the bed is there from previous use and there are yard tools.

Have fun!

Oh yes do have fun. And don't stress to much. What will be will be - its only a short time.

Take your own tools. I take a folk or shavings folk, a pair of gloves and a skip bucket.
There is usually a few muck heaps at the bigger venues.
You'll need a water bucket in most places.
Hay, some places provide, but personally I'd take my own.
Stable Rug as stables can be draughty especially the temp ones. A clean turn out for walking or if you are unlucky enough to get a leaky stable. (but you can always ask to move stables).

Bedding as YCBM said venues differ. It will probably say in your stable booking what is available on site and weather its deep littered or a fresh bed everytime.