Staying away - what have I forgotten? What can I leave at home?

blood_magik

Visit site
I’m heading down to Alnwick Ford from the west coast of Scotland on Thursday and i’m trying to write out everything I need to take - Ideally I would put everything in the back of the horsebox but it’s away having an engine warning light seen to and I’m not sure if i’ll get it back in time :eek:

The backup plan is to book a hotel and take the small truck plus a car so nowhere near as much storage space as the big lorry, hence why i’m panicking slightly about fitting it all in.

So far I have...

Me:
Show jacket
Breeches x3
Show shirt x3
Hat, gloves and spurs
Boots plus pair to change into for driving
Hairnets
Change of clothes for Friday and Saturday
PJs
Waterproof jacket
Towels and shower stuff
Flip flops
Yard diary and money
Lorry tacho card

Horse:
Passport
Snaffle bridle
Double bridle
Saddle
Girth
Gel pad
Ears
Bridle numbers
Numnah x3
Warmup boots
Spare headcollar and rope

Stable sheet plus bib
Stable boots
Grooming kit plus sponge
Plaiting kit plus hairspray and gel
Fly spray
Hoof oil
Washing off bucket

Wheelbarrow
Fork, shovel and brush
Water bucket
Feed buckets and beet bucket
Feed
Supplements
haylage and nets

Lorry:
First aid kit
Blankets and pillows
Cups
Kettle
Breakdown info
Milk, tea and coffee
Water
Show ground contact info
Phone chargers
Folding chairs
Scissors and bailing twine
Lunge whip and lunge line
Entertainment?

Have I missed anything? ��

Oh - BD test folder ����

Orangehorse

Visit site
Don't bother to take anything to eat, as you won't have any time! It is all a lot harder when you are staying away as nothing is to hand and you have to keep going to and fro from the lorry to the stable and it all takes time and energy so give yourself plenty of time to get ready.

You seem to have a good list, I couldn't think of anything obvious. I once had a coolbox with food (!) and crucially some ice wraps and my horse had a trip onto concrete and it was only because I had the ice that I was able to bandage his legs and could complete the show. If I hadn't had the ice his leg would have swelled up and I would have had to withdraw.

blood_magik

Visit site
I’m only doing two tests so will hopefully have plenty of time to relax ��

If the big lorry is ok, we’ll go shopping for food and drinks on Wednesday and if not, then we can pick up snacks locally as we’ll have my car.

Forgot to put gastroguard on my list.

I’m going to email and ask if there will be anywhere to stretch Raz’s legs Thursday night so he can have a good look around

ETA - thanks, GS. Hoping I won’t forget anything important 🤞🏻

asmp

Visit site
Filled water container in case you get delayed on route and need to offer water to horse

Ignore - just saw it under lorry list!

rara007

Visit site
Underwear :p Water carriers for both you and horse? Waterproof trousers? Camp light? Are you allowed firelogs? :p Cider :p Sleeping bag, pillow, bed? trainers?

chaps89

Visit site
If it's a couple of days can you make feeds up in advance in carrier bags rather than taking seperate supplements etc?
Do you need bedding? (Presuming you will have bedding/hay for the horse on-site, so for you If you do end up in the big lorry rather than at a hotel)
Enjoy :)

Eta - ignore bedding, I can see blankets and pillows on your list! Sorry.

blood_magik

Visit site
Torches added to the list ��

Lorry has a heater if it gets chilly. Also a horse shower so he can get washed off if needed and I don’t have to lug water all over the place. ��

Don’t own waterproof trousers so my 3/4 length coat and Dubarrys will have to do.

I forgot to add Polos to my list ��*♀️

I was thinking about pre-making feeds but haven’t decided yet. I’ll have to check I have enough buckets as he gets a pre-riding feed for his ulcers and I like to do two warm ups at shows

I’m taking my own haylage - I have bags that take one and a half square bales so i’ll fill them.

Forgot saddle soap as well - my tack will need cleaned

Last edited:

oldie48

Visit site
A sense of humour
A sense of adventure
knowing that you will be surrounded by lots of people you can ask for help if you have forgotten something, despite what I sometimes see on H&H forum, I find most other riders are just really nice people and love to help.
+ more wine than you think you will need to thank those people whom you make friends with.
Have a wonderful time!

Vodkagirly

Visit site
Not a lot of shops near Alnwick ford so take enough food/drink. There is a lovely tea room called the running fox in Longframlington if you have time for cake

blood_magik

Visit site
Good news - my big lorry is fixed so we’ll be staying onsite. going shopping tomorrow to stock up as we have a fridge in the living :)

Looking forwards to going now. Just need to figure out which route to take

Northern Hare

Visit site
Not a lot of shops near Alnwick ford so take enough food/drink. There is a lovely tea room called the running fox in Longframlington if you have time for cake

I wish you hadn't mentioned Running Fox - all I can now think of is their amazing cakes!! We've been to the one in Felton and just had tea and a slice of cake and it was fab.

The afternoon teas looked amazing with sandwiches, pies/quiches, scones and cakes - lots of carry-home boxes were being provided!!

Counterpoint

Visit site
Pre mix the feeds and put them into food bags (or small bin liners) - saves a lot of time & space and can be labelled if you have different eves/breakfast etc.

I don't know the stables at Alnwick but take a head-torch, it makes late night checks MUCH easier and you don't disturb the other horses with the lights.

Lightweight waterproof rug to put over the top - some stables are more rain tight than others, plus it might rain...

blood_magik

Visit site
I’m packed :)

Threw a stable rug and rain sheet, and some extra bedding in just in case, and went shopping this afternoon so I just need to put the bed out and bath Raz in the morning.

9tails

Visit site
I wouldn't bother with wheelbarrow and fork. Just a large bucket and rubber gloves, bucket will act as handy carrier for small items. I'd take the shovel only if you have to clear the stable at the end of your stay.

blood_magik

Visit site
He’s filthy - I’ll Be there all day if I muck out by hand :D

I have plenty of room now my big lorry is back on the road. Just had to shift a partition to fit it in.

blood_magik

Visit site
Got loo roll.
No studs as on a surface and I have a few spare towels packed for Raz/us/the dog.

Weather here is atrocious but will apparently be okay down there so ���� Because I really don’t fancy riding in gale force winds and driving rain.
Going to go a slightly longer route so it’s mostly motorway rather than country roads and we’ll be able to stop at the services if needed.

Got my time for tomorrow and it’s very civilised - 1510 and I’m the only one in my section ��