Staying overnight at a show - wheelbarrows

lauracwd2

Visit site
Looking for some advice please. We're staying overnight for a show in a couple of weeks (only our 2nd time doing this) and I need to take a wheelbarrow with me for mucking out. It'll need to go in the trailer but I'm not sure the safest way to secure it for the journey. Pony is sensible and a good traveller. Should I tie it to the front propped up or put it in the empty side of the trailer? Hoping someone with experience of staying away will be able to give me some top tips!

Bernster

Visit site
how about a collapsible/folding wheelbarrow? I saw these at camp last year and keep meaning to get one, as I'm away in Sept for a show. If you do a search on Amazon or eBay it shows a few types, that might be a better version to take with you.

Otherwise would it fit in your car instead of the trailer?

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
I would either take a collapsible one, or just a large tun trug. Chances are you'll skip out lots during the day so you won't need a big barrow for a muck out, they are useful for carrying stuff around though! If you get a collapsible one, make sure you pull it through any mud, its not much fun when the wheel gets stuck and it collapses :D

lauracwd2

Visit site
It's turning into the most expensive weekend ever! I hadn't thought about a collapsable wheelbarrow but it might be worth thinking about, I guess it can be used in the garden afterwards. Not sure if I'd want to do a muck out from overnight into a trug (don't know how far the muck heap will be either)

Bernster

Visit site
It's turning into the most expensive weekend ever! I hadn't thought about a collapsable wheelbarrow but it might be worth thinking about, I guess it can be used in the garden afterwards. Not sure if I'd want to do a muck out from overnight into a trug (don't know how far the muck heap will be either)

Yep, I refuse to even calculate what my total costs will be for a 3 day stay. Particularly as I don't do camping so I'll be looking for a local b n b! But it's fun and this one will be a bit special/one off for us so I'll justify it that way haha.

Mince Pie

Visit site

2_June_2010_029.jpg

TGM

Visit site
We take a normal wheelbarrow. We have a lorry and secure the barrow to the rear partition with bungee cords so it can't move or slip. We tried a collapsible barrow in the past and it was useless - unstable and kept tipping! A normal wheelbarrow is great, not just for mucking out, but also to transport bales of hay/haylage, plus tack and equipment, between stable and lorry which might be a fair distance. Plus some venues decree that you must remove all bedding at the end of the stay, which can necessitate a lot of journeys with a trug!

Nappy Croc

Visit site
Much prefer a proper wheelbarrow. I fill the whole empty partition if I have one so by then the wheel barrow is well wedged/bungled in. I'm lucky in that most of my away events I have a flat bed trailer coming too I bungie it to if the whole horse trailer is in use. I put a tack pack (and lots of hay) at the front but I'm sure it could go there :)

ALO

Visit site
Have travelled mine quite a few times on the spare partition. I turn it upside down and the fill the space so it's unable to move. Never had a problem.

lauracwd2

Visit site
Thanks guys, plenty of options to consider. We did an overnight show a couple of weeks ago but were able to borrow a wheelbarrow on site however I packed loads of stuff so hoping to cut back a little this time. I also packed everything in the car and didn't use the spare side of the trailer at all so perhaps I need to rethink that too!

Mince Pie

Visit site
I'd say use the space in the trailer, I've seen it used for shavings/hay/feed/wheelbarrow numerous times and as long as it's all well wedged in and strapped down (in case of an accident you don't want it all flying everywhere!) then fill yer boots!

PorkChop

Visit site
I would either bungee/secure the wheelbarrow in the other side of the trailer, or I use a huge wheelie truck/tub which takes up one side of the trailer.

I secure it with ratchet straps and you can get loads of stuff in it.

Hope you have a great show :)

sidewaysonacob

Visit site
I stay away several weekends a year and have given up on folding wheelbarrows as they don't survive much more than a few weekends - and when they die it tends to involve tipping over and emptying whatever is in at the time :)

I have a side ramp Weekender so I'm not keen on putting stuff in the horse area on the empty ramp side as it would make it slower to get him out in an emergency - so my latest solution is this folding wagon http://www.outdoorvalue.co.uk/camping-miscellaneous/99560-andes-folding-wagon.html which you can fit two trugs or a bale of shavings or two sets of tack or basically anything that fits and weighs up to 60kg in, and it folds up really small too. I did a lot of research and Andes is the only brand that seems to get good reviews for robustness so worth the extra pennies.

Eventmum

Visit site
We used to take wheelbarrow to camp, secured at front of trailer with bungies, the poop scoop then sat in behind, it never moved.