Steam-cleaning a horse??!

spookypony

Visit site
Someone---can't remember who, or in what context, but it was a man---mentioned to me recently that he steam-cleans a horse in winter. Is this actually a thing??! Does this actually work, and does the horse not get scalded? :eek:

Am imagining moving in on my supposed-to-be-white mare with my Shark...somehow don't see that working extremely well... :D

Tapir

Visit site
The racing yard I worked at years ago used a steam cleaning machine on the horses but with both the temp and pressure turned down.

L&M

Visit site
I was told that about my cob when I bought him - blue and white but predominately white!

At the time I though they were joking, but even after a year of ownership, and numerous methods tried, I have never been able to get him as clean as the day I viewed him.

Makes you wonder…..

Boxers

Visit site
I would say that before you steam or pressure wash your horse, get someone to turn it on you.

If you can stand it then so can your horse.

Having used both machines for cleaning the house/car etc, I certainly wouldn't use on a horse!

Redders

Visit site
I did a really stupid thing with a steam cleaner when younger, had the temp down low and was barefoot, I thought as it was a hot day a jet of cool water on my toes would feel lovely- (I know, idiotic) complety forgot it was high pressure and cut my toe to the bone! I would definately not use on a horse! I guess if you can turn pressure down it's like a power shower for them, but my toe incident has put me off for good!

spookypony

Visit site
So a few people have heard of such a thing then...surely not just a normal household machine though? Don't worry, folks, am not about to go after the mare with the Shark at any time soon!

paddy555

Visit site
it would be very easy, and probably efficient to use a pressure washer on a horse. Little more than the pressure washer that you use to clean the patio. The nozzles adjust from a very high pressure of water which would be very stinging on either you or the horse to basically less pressure and force than a hosepipe.
If you were happy to wash with a hosepipe then a pressure washer with the nozzle in the correct position would be no worse.
If you had a hot tap and put warm water through the pressure washer I imagine the horse would quite like it.

I have washed muddy legs off with them with no problems. I use ours regularly to wash buckets and hay bins and frequently wash my arms off with it on a gentle setting. It is no different to washing them under the tap.

spookypony

Visit site
Pressure washers, yes, I can see that working; in fact, it's pretty common to use a similar device on Endurance horses. But a steam cleaner is something else, surely?

Leo Walker

Visit site
I've worked on yards that use pressure washers with no issues. I have a kick ass steam cleaner for the house, you can happily run your hand through the steam at a reasonable distance, I cant quantify how much, but its really not far. Close enough that when I'm blasting limescale etc I can have my hand in the stream with a sponge to mop the gunk up. So I've never used it, but you probably could quite safely!

alainax

Visit site
Is it maybe a garment steam cleaner like this?
Which will remove stains from delicate fabrics
img93m.jpg

Rather than one of these bad boys (which would surely hurt!)
steam_cleaners_wood_floors.jpg

oofadoofa

www.mearecourtequestrian.co.uk
I have always referred to a hot pressure washer as a steam cleaner though, and I know that most farmer types do too, so reckon that's what he was talking about. We have one at work for cleaning off machinery and it's always known as the steam cleaner.

bakewell

Visit site
I used the pressure washer on the dog at a petrol station once. He had thoroughly coated himself in fox cack. It was that or put him in a binbag with his head poking out for the 2 hr car drive home.
He didn't look pleased but it didn't do him any harm. Much thicker coat than a horse though.

leggs

Visit site
steam = water at it't boiling point which is 100degrees.....no, i would definately not try this. True if you didn't come too close, maybe it wouldn't hurt the horse but, what if the horse spooks or steps sideways....

spookypony

Visit site
leggs, yes, that's what I thought too! oofadoofa, that's what's confusing me: he said it as a solution for not wanting to bathe horses in the winter. Surely if he meant a pressure washer, everyone would still get very very wet? The mystery continues! :confused:

hayley.t

Visit site
I think/ hope people mean the warm pressure washers. I know someone who has made one like the one you can buy. I washed mine there and he loved it, it is heated with a gas bottle. I know that people who show holsteins call it a steam cleaner but it is a warm pressure washer.