Stem cell treatment for arthritis - has anyone had it?

emfen1305

Visit site
My horse is going in for a workup today after not being quite right behind for a couple of months he's finally lame enough to work up! Vet strong suspects hock arthritis based on the way he moves and flexion test and it wouldn't surprise me as he's 14 and a cob! I've been through this before with my old horse so assumed steroids and then rehab. I asked about arthramid as had read a bit about it being a bit longer lasting but she said you can't inject anything in afterwards so has mentioned they've been using this new stem cell treatment with success. Has anyone had this? It might not be that but I am just pre-empting as probably will need to make a decision today.

Goldenstar

Visit site
It’s incorrect to say you can’t inject anything else after arthimid .
You can even inject get and steroid at the same time if it’s needed .
I have put arthimid into the same joint again later several times .
You need to talk to another vet .

BronsonNutter

Visit site
I’ve had stem cells into my young horse who has some mild arthritic changes in her hocks - so far doing really well. It works best in joints where there are only mild bony changes on the X-rays.

EnduroRider

Visit site
One of mine had Articell injected in to his stifle after arthroscopy showed chondromalacia in the joint. He was still 2/10ths lame at his 8 week follow up. Vets advised that the longer he goes without it having worked the less likely it'll come right. He is now back out with others and the vets will see him again at Christmas.

LaurenBay

Visit site
Is this the IRAP treatment? if so then my friend has it for her Horse and its been very successful. Horse back in full work and out competing with a few red ribbons under her belt.

HelenBack

Visit site
Mine had stem cells and they improved things a bit but not enough to justify the cost in my opinion. He went on to have steroids, which were great for about two weeks, and then arthramid, which took a while to kick in but has had the longest lasting effects so far.

Agree that you can inject other things again after arthramid and know several people who have done this. My vet initially said this but I think they are learning that isn't the case now. When mine needs something doing again I will be going straight to arthramid.

I gather with the stem cells they are best done on early stages of arthritis but are still quite experimental - they seem to have great effects with some horses but no so with others. I don't think I would bother trying them again on any horse to be honest unless a lot more evidence about their effectiveness came out.

Heavens blyss

New User
Visit site
We have just had this and my boy has severe arthritis in both hocks at just 4 years old (ex racer). 3 weeks in and he’s seeming fairly good but way too early to tell. I did copious amounts of research and felt it gives him the best chance over other things at having more years of being comfortable. We have a blog on fb @OABumpyride that I set up to help support people in similar situations :)

emfen1305

Visit site
Lovely thanks all, apologies for the late reply! We did go down the steroid route in the end with a view that if they didn't work that it's either another issue causing him to under perform or we try the arthramid after more investigations (i misunderstood the vet about not being able to inject after)