Steps out of water

suef1

Visit site
Is anyone else filled with dread at the thought of steps out of water? My mare and I will be competing at BE Novice this year. She seems to have a real problem with steps, but only out of water. Normal steps up, sunken roads she's fine with. We had a few hairy moments last season including a fall at Milton Keynes when we both went over- not something I ever want to repeat!! She's 100% bold over everything else but seems a bit tentative and sometimes misses with her hind feet. I've tried everything- letting her mince along through the water in trot and hopping up in her own time, keeping her trotting but pushing her a bit with a few taps on the shoulder to encourage, keeping her in a good canter and literally placing her at the bottom of the step but sometimes she's just really thick about it! She's an experienced mare, no baby, so does anyone have any ideas?

Thx

Ferdinase514

Visit site
Post the sequence of pics of you at MK 3DE....!! Most amazing recovery
grin.gif

Sorry not very helpful
tongue.gif

Bossanova

Visit site
Difficult one- I think steps out of water are the hardest things for a horse to judge.
Does she do them better if there's a fence to focus on one stride away from the step? Sometimes they do.

Otherwise it's just practice makes perfect. You could maybe try leading her off another horse if she'd tolerate it so that is she makes a mistake you're less likely to get hurt- or have her on a lunge line....

suef1

Visit site
She seems worse if theres a jump to focus on- is that wierd!? We only fell at MK cos she was focusing on that otter they've got 1 stride after the step I think.

Good idea about the leading though, and from a lunge rein- will stop me from making the situation worse.

Am almost resigned to having to go long routes to avoid having to jump immediately after the step which is annoying as such a waste of time

CastleMouse

Visit site
How about following another horse a few time who's confident with steps out of water? It might help her realise that there's nothing to worry about and might boost her confidence a bit
smile.gif

suef1

Visit site
Thanks CastleMouse but I've tried that, she gets all excited about the fact that she's following someone and rushes and still falls up it!

Shes just a very long legged TB who never really knows where all 4 legs are at any given time.

I may be being a bit harsh on her, the last 2 weve done, shes done them really nicely, I just dont want to repeat the bad experiences this season.

ajf

Visit site
I'd just say some practice up some little ones, so if she makes a mistake its not a diaster. good luck though and try not to think about the fall, even though its somethimes the hardest thing to do!!!!

kerilli

Visit site
i wouldn't ever use taps on the shoulder, it makes them think backwards.
i would teach her to jump from a walk, over small uprights. she will really learn where her feet are and how to use herself.
i was shown how by an old boy years ago. it was the making of a fairly useless horse (became a very safe and competent Intermediate eventer), despite having no real scope or power at all - she could easily and happily walk to 3'6", and, having no speed, had to really use herself.
the first time i took her xc schooling was pre-teaching her this. she was all over the place coming out of the water up the step, every time. after being taught how to use her body, she never had another problem at them.
hope that helps!

Thistle

Visit site
If you are fairly local try to get a XC clinic with Nick Turner. He does alot of the walking off and up steps banks and ditches, into and out of water.

He teaches at MKEC too.