Steroids or arthramid (or something else!) for hock arthritis?

HelenBack

Visit site
I know this has been done on here a lot but I was just wondering about people's experiences of steroids vs. arthramid for hock arthritis, especially people who have tried both.

A considering factor is that my horse has Cushing's although at the moment it is well controlled with the Prascend. His weight is good and I think the vet would be happy to try steroids at this point in time but they make me nervous at the best of times, even without the Cushing's diagnosis!

Arthramid is the other option we have discussed and I've heard a lot of good results with that but the vet says that you can't put anything else in after you've used that, which I presume is why they often save it until last.

I suppose a belt and braces option would be to do the steroids and then the arthramid afterwards if I'm happy to take the risk of the steroids but I presume you have to leave a period of time between the two?

I think I am musing out loud here now but if anybody has had experience of trying both I'd be interested to hear how you got on.

He will probably get some cartrophen as well, just because. And he's only a happy hacker and enjoys himself very much but it would be nice to give him a bit of help if I can because he can look a bit stiff through his hocks and I'd like to make him comfortable for as long as I can really.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
My vet has been using Arthrimed for a while now, and hasn’t had a single case where it was not effective. She further studied its effects while she did some CPD while she was on furlough, and the literature is consistently very positive.

It‘s working well on my sports horse mare (both front coffins). I am going to ask for Arthrimed in future for any joint medications where it is an option. It’s spendier, but as the effects last a lot longer than steroids, then IMHO it’s worth it. Plus the horse doesn’t have to have needles stuck in its joints so often.

The IDx has Cushing’s, and while she has had no ill effects from her previous steroid hock and SI medications, I will ask for Arthrimed in future, though I haven’t yet asked if it is suitable for the SI joint.

HelenBack

Visit site
That's very interesting to know, thank you. I only know a handful of people who've done the gel injections in real life but they do all seem to have reported success with them. I only suppose the only risk is if they don't work and then you're scuppered if you can't put anything else in there. If they've got a good track record though then it does make sense to avoid the risk with the steroids.

Cost is not an issue as we have insurance at the moment but even when that's up I'm lucky enough to be able to afford it and am happy to pay for this particular horse. Plus as you say, if it has to be done less often then there are benefits other ways. A one off steroid that lasted two years, say, would be one thing, but I'd hate to get into that sort of situation where I was doing it every few months and then it stops working anyway.

SEL

Visit site
Steroids only worked for about 6 weeks in my mares's hocks but the difference with the gel was really obvious - wish I'd done it first time round.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
one hock or two

personally had an excellent result from steroid in 1 (was used as diagnostic)

Goldenstar

Visit site
I would certainly go for arthimed before steroids .
If you are lucky would get three years and then you can go steroid route if you want to further down the road .
One horse ( Fatty ) reacted badly lots of swelling And inflammation but the other walked out the stable better the next day .
I just give Fatty steroid now .

HelenBack

Visit site
Thanks all, I think I'm veering towards going straight for arthrimed. It will be in both hocks, one is worse than the other but they could both do with the help.

I would certainly go for arthimed before steroids .
If you are lucky would get three years and then you can go steroid route if you want to further down the road .
One horse ( Fatty ) reacted badly lots of swelling And inflammation but the other walked out the stable better the next day .
I just give Fatty steroid now .

That's a shame with the reaction but I suppose there's a risk with anything you do isn't there unfortunately. I hope he got over it quickly though.

Mahoganybay

Visit site
My mare had two lots of steroids into her coffin joint, first one lasted 6 months the second not even 3 months.

Had Arthramid injected in Feb this year and so far so good ?

bouncing_ball

Visit site
Is it still considered that once you’ve used arthramid in a joint you can’t later use Steroids in same joint?

Has anyone done a repeat arthramid injection on same joint?

My 14 year old horse had his hocks injected 8 months ago, and seems sore now. Trying to decide course of action. He’s no longer insured.

Wondering re long term plans.

My vet suggested Arthramid not so commonly used in hocks? And most of the published research on arthramid seems to be using it in other joints.

HelenBack

Visit site
Is it still considered that once you’ve used arthramid in a joint you can’t later use Steroids in same joint?

Has anyone done a repeat arthramid injection on same joint?

My 14 year old horse had his hocks injected 8 months ago, and seems sore now. Trying to decide course of action. He’s no longer insured.

Wondering re long term plans.

My vet suggested Arthramid not so commonly used in hocks? And most of the published research on arthramid seems to be using it in other joints.

My vet said that you can't put anything else in there after Arthramid, hence why they often use it as a last resort. I presume it's because it's gel like stuff that fills the joint space? I have also heard the gel does dissolve eventually so then you could put something else in but I don't know how true that is and I guess time it would take could vary from horse to horse.

I don't know why it's less used in hocks but I do know of a couple of people who have used it in their horse's hocks and it's helped. I think steroids are still the first line of choice a lot of the time due to them being cheaper. I think there are some theories about Arthramid being a bit of a slow burner in terms of uptake among vets and it seems some love it and others are less fussed. It would be good to see some long term studies on it though.

It's difficult to know what to do for the best sometimes isn't it?

Goldenstar

Visit site
Fatty has Arthramid in his stifle we still give him steroids .
I checked before H had his hocks done we can still go to steroid if we need to .

bouncing_ball

Visit site
Fatty has Arthramid in his stifle we still give him steroids .
I checked before H had his hocks done we can still go to steroid if we need to .

Thanks there seems mixed views on steroids after arthramid.

Do you remember approx how much arthramid in both hocks cost? My vet helpfully said it’s quite expensive . . .

Think a non local friend was quoted £800?

Goldenstar

Visit site
The actual trip to the vets for the jabs was £699.50 including the sedation .
I happened to have the bill right here as I am supposed to be doing my paperwork .

SEL

Visit site
I had hocks done with gel earlier in the year and think it was around £600 - they did steroid into SI at same time. Made a big difference until she decided to damage a front leg. Insistent on being a field pet I think.

She had steroids into hocks Oct 2018 which barely lasted until Xmas