steve irwin killed

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
Terribly sad. First time EVER, after hearing the news, my children have come rushing out saying, 'Guess what's happened, mum?' They loved his exploits.

I felt he was always pushing dangerous creatures that little bit too far and this was almost inevitable. Can't be blunt and say he had it coming - he was just ever so slightly in the wrong place at the wrong time, this time.

So sorry for his family - they must have some amazing memories of life with him. RIP Steve. God Bless.

Lobelia_Overhill

www.mymiscellanyhome.net
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
he then died from a heart attack at the scene

[/ QUOTE ]
Not quite, the barb went through his heart. They believe he died pretty much instantly.

[/ QUOTE ]

hmm, the three sites I read all said he'd been stung, and suffered a cardiac arrest - they must've changed their minds since this morning ...

Chambon

www.picturetrail.com
RIP Steve.

Very very sad news, we met him two years ago at Australia zoo and had a fantastic time. He died doing what he loved, and to be honest, doing what he did, he was never going to grow old gracefully.

A tragic loss of a wonderful character.

kayleigh_and_rocky

www.kayleigh-nicholls.piczo.com
Yes it is true that he was struck by the stingray, and the barb pierced his heart. Truly awful
frown.gif
a really sad loss of such a great conservationist

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
It is so terribly sad, he was such a great entertainer and seemed like such a lovely guy, so talented and so young, his poor family, it just seems so surreal that he has been killed, RIP Steve x

Olliedog

Visit site
it's been the main story during the news this evening, all these people going to Australia Zoo and leaving flowers..
But what's shocking was someone was asking for the footage just before he died to be made public...
shocked.gif

monica123

Visit site
it is very sad!!!!!!! i was so suprised as he did nothing to provoke the stingray and there has only been 3 recorded attacks from stingrays in ausie that have lead to death!!!
RIP steve!

dingle12

Visit site
Shortly after 11:00 a.m. AEST (01:00 UTC) on 4 September 2006, Irwin was fatally pierced in the chest by a stingray barb whilst snorkeling at the Great Barrier Reef, at Batt Reef, which is located off the coast of Port Douglas in Queensland. Irwin was in the area filming his own documentary, to be called The Ocean's Deadliest, but weather had stalled filming. Irwin decided to take the opportunity to film some shallow water shots for a segment in the television program his daughter Bindi was hosting,[31] when, according to his friend and colleague, John Stainton, he swam too close to one of the animals. "He came on top of the stingray and the stingray's barb went up and into his chest and put a hole into his heart," said Stainton, who was on board Irwin's boat the Croc One.

The events were caught on camera, and a copy of the footage was handed to the Queensland Police.[32] After reviewing the footage of the incident and speaking to the cameraman who recorded it, marine documentary filmmaker and former spearfisherman Ben Cropp speculated that the stingray "felt threatened because Steve was alongside and there was the cameraman ahead." In such a case, the stingray responds to "danger from above" by automatically flexing the serrated barb on its tail (which can measure up to 25cm in length) in an upward motion.

Cropp said Irwin had accidentally boxed in the animal. "It stopped and twisted and threw up its tail with the spike, and it caught him in the chest. It's a defensive thing. It's like being stabbed with a dirty dagger." The stinging of Irwin by the bull ray was "a one-in-a-million thing," Cropp told Time magazine. "I have swum with many rays, and I have only had one do that to me."[33]

Some reports have claimed that immediately after being stabbed, Irwin pulled the barb out before losing consciousness a short time later. Irwin's colleague John Stainton originally confirmed this account,[34][35] but he later denied it in an interview on CNN.[36] It is thought, in the absence of a coroner's report, that a combination of the toxins and the puncture wound from the barb caused Irwin to die of cardiac arrest, with most damage being inflicted by tears to arteries or other main blood vessels.[37][38] It is also possible that he died quickly as a result of a punctured aorta.[39] Until the coroner's report is released, however, the precise cause of Irwin's death remains conjecture.

Crew members aboard his boat called the emergency services in the nearest city of Cairns and administered CPR as they rushed the boat to nearby the Low Islets to meet a rescue helicopter. Medical staff pronounced Irwin dead when they arrived a short time later.[31] According to Dr. Ed O'Loughlin, who treated Irwin, "it became clear fairly soon that he had non-survivable injuries. . . . He had a penetrating injury to the left front of his chest. He had lost his pulse and wasn't breathing."[40]

Irwin's body was flown to a morgue in Cairns. His wife, Terri Irwin was on a walking tour in Cradle Mountain-Lake St Clair National Park in Tasmania at the time, and returned via a private plane from Devonport to the Sunshine Coast with their two children.[31]

As of 1996, only seventeen worldwide fatalities had been recorded due to stingrays,[41] [42] and the attack on Irwin is believed to be the only fatality from a stingray ever captured on film
hope this will clear some things up

MagicMelon

Visit site
I heard that the barbs are worse when pulling them back out. Do you think he *MIGHT* have survived had he NOT pulled it out? Although.... obviously he had to or I guess the metre wide stingray would have swam off with him.

goeslikestink

www.hozhatz.co.uk
rip steve was a very courageous bloke
i dont hink his daughter will feel bad somehow later in life vivhewe, as she is so much like her dad i wouldnt mind betting they doa jr show still or something when shes abit older as you havent heard the last from that little girl i dont think, as an 8 yrs old shes as bright as a button in a lot more ways than a normal kid of 8, dont know about the boy-- but when you see programmes with the bindi she is quite a wise and knowledgeable and also speaks her mind- she did an interview about her parents
shes not in the same wave lenght as general children of her own age group---

so i for one will say theres a lot more of her to come and she will be like her dad ==maybe not the courageous sort to jump out on things but difinately outspoken as she lost her dad to wildlife might hold respect for it more she will be a different view point but still promote wild life issues but perhaps in more depth...