Steve Young Horsemanship

Sandstone1

Visit site
Have seen a few videos on facebook recently. Steve Young, not heard of him before. Seems fairly sensible in most of what I have seen so far. Anyone know more about him? You have to subscribe to his channel which puts me off a bit but that might just be me.

smolmaus

Visit site
Have seen a few videos on facebook recently. Steve Young, not heard of him before. Seems fairly sensible in most of what I have seen so far. Anyone know more about him? You have to subscribe to his channel which puts me off a bit but that might just be me.
He has untold number of hour+ long videos on YouTube, no subscription required.

Sandstone1

Visit site
Yes, Ive seen videos but what I meant was when you go to his page it asks you to subscribe. Its probably not a bad thing, just put me off a bit.
From what I have seen he seems pretty good, common sense and fair with the horses. Just wondered what others thought as I have only recently heard of him.

TPO

Visit site
Ignore me, I was thinking of someone else and now I can't remember their name ??‍♀️ they are American and not this UK guy.

The only video subscription I pay for is Joe Midgley. Really rate him in the flesh and on video. He's really reasonably priced and his gold package let's you send in videos to get feedback and coaching from him, that's only £8 per month iirc.

smolmaus

Visit site
Yes, Ive seen videos but what I meant was when you go to his page it asks you to subscribe. Its probably not a bad thing, just put me off a bit.
From what I have seen he seems pretty good, common sense and fair with the horses. Just wondered what others thought as I have only recently heard of him.
You will find it difficult to find an online-content producing trainer who doesn't ask you to subscribe to their content. On YouTube anyway, it greatly affects any money they might make on videos with ads, or if they want to develop sponsorship deals their no. of subscribers is a massive part of it.

The last person who tried to convince me of "western style" horsemanship was a huge advocate of Clinton Anderson who I would cross 3 streets to avoid having seen what he's like so I first watched Steve Young with a good bit of scepticism but I do agree he does seem fair and isn't particularly heavy handed in comparison to some.

TPO

Visit site
The last person who tried to convince me of "western style" horsemanship was a huge advocate of Clinton Anderson

?? he's horrendous

There's still UK trainers advocating him and his methods ?

Apart from his complete lack of empathy, and therefore horsemanship, he's a misogynistic "insert word of your choosing" and that's putting it politely!

Not sure if there's a bit of Stockholm Syndrome with his female devotees

ImmyS

Visit site
I have also recently discovered Steve Young and have watched many of his YouTube videos. I feel he talks a lot of sense and I like his methods. His videos can be a bit long winded and chatty but I like that he keeps in the bad as well as the good and he often acknowledges when he makes a mistake or misses a horse’s signals to him and I think that’s important in any trainer. I would be interested to see him work in the flesh.

Landcruiser

Visit site
I watch them but skip through the waffly bits a bit. I find them very relaxing to watch, kind of like white noise but full of fascinating content if you watch long enough to get your eye in. He makes a lot of sense and is very good at picking up on what's going wrong and why. He's based in West Wales. I first came across him via someone I met on holiday there about 10 years ago who had a young quarter horse that had been trained and started by him - she was full of praise for him. He can be repetitive, but on the whole, I think it's well worth watching his stuff (if you have time on your hands!). You don't need to subscribe to watch.

AntiPuck

Visit site
What I like about his videos is that he shows the whole process on 'untrained' horses, whereas many trainers only demonstrate on horses that already know what they're being asked to do, which is no good when you need to try things out yourself on a horse with problems.

SBJT

Visit site
?? he's horrendous

There's still UK trainers advocating him and his methods ?

Apart from his complete lack of empathy, and therefore horsemanship, he's a misogynistic "insert word of your choosing" and that's putting it politely!

Not sure if there's a bit of Stockholm Syndrome with his female devotees

Even out here CA is not popular. Not a fan at all.

PurBee

Visit site
I havent heard of him - will have to check him out.

I agree about CA…too much cowboy mindset for my liking - i like shiller if i had to choose western trainers, tho’ i find he waffles somewhat - talk is needed of course, yet it requires a different skill from horsemanship to express clearly and easily what you mean, so im somewhat forgiving of the waffly ones!

There’s loads of good trainers out there these days isnt there…wow - youtube is loaded. I tend to take bits and pieces from all of them rather than follow just one.

A fair few female trainers i like too - memory rusty on names - im impressed with the mindset and equine awareness a relatively young lady from featherlight horsemanship has…she produces incredible results.

AWinter

Visit site
It’s not really my type of horsemanship but he seems to have a huge following on Facebook, watched a couple of videos and have to say I disagreed with some of his opinions on what was actually happening, I think similar results can be achieved without putting the horse through so much stress. But as I say I have only skimmed through a couple of his videos and I can see this opening the door to alternative ways of training to many people which is always a good thing.

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
It’s often a familiar story of an over indulged horse and an inexperienced owner. He does talk a lot but you get all the thoughts and system which is very helpful for learning and understanding triggers and solving them. I like that it’s very practical and horse centric.

smolmaus

Visit site
It’s often a familiar story of an over indulged horse and an inexperienced owner. He does talk a lot but you get all the thoughts and system which is very helpful for learning and understanding triggers and solving them. I like that it’s very practical and horse centric.
Or orphaned/ hand raised or babied horses is another common one.

If I thought it wouldn't cost a fortune to get him over to NI I would be trying to convince my friend to maybe give him a go. Her beautiful idiot dickhead gelding would fit into one of his videos perfectly. I did start paying attention to when he tries to move my feet and make more of an effort to never let him do that and you know what, he's noticed and he doesn't like it ?

Lois Lame

Visit site
The very first one I watched was about an over-indulged horse. I thought this one was very good.

Regarding the talking, I kind of like the chat in the interesting-looking hanging chair and I don't mind the interruption... BUT... after the interruption I would like the video re-round a bit, get back into the flow and see what happens in a smoother, less interrupted way. Does that make sense? I've thought of commenting on his youtube but I don't because I don't want to be one of these pains who makes suggestions. (She says, making a suggestion.)

Also... *cough* sometimes Tania talks about the cat, focus's the camera on that, and we miss something that she was *cough cough* meant to be filming ?

Annagain

Visit site
I've seen one or two and like the way he doesn't edit the videos but that does make them very long. As 'entertainment' they're not great but as training I think it's important to show that it can be a very long process and a lot of pa

Antw23uk

Visit site
I subscribe to Steve Young, i love watching his videos. He could slim them down a bit if his wife wasnt involved and he just got on with the job with less chatting and waffling! There is a lot of waffle that irritates me and i hope he gets his sound quality sorted out in the future. I really like him and his method :)

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
I came across his videos a while ago and found them fascinating. I like the way he listens to the horse. Saw one recently of a horse that had lost an eye due to an injury in the field and after treatment she wouldn’t leave the stable and hadnt left it for 8 months , it was interesting the way he solved it and it was a long video but interesting

PurBee

Visit site
I came across his videos a while ago and found them fascinating. I like the way he listens to the horse. Saw one recently of a horse that had lost an eye due to an injury in the field and after treatment she wouldn’t leave the stable and hadnt left it for 8 months , it was interesting the way he solved it and it was a long video but interesting

I saw that video last night - it was very touching seeing that sweet pony in the paddock, leaping and skipping realising she was ok, there’s really nothing to fear. Just adorable. His method for teaching her the stable is the ‘annoyance zone’, and outside is relaxed zone was interesting to watch. He certainly seems to think of methods for that particular horse, as an individual, than apply training methods as ‘catch all’ solutions for all horses, so for that i think he’s excellent.

The vids are long and there’s lots of chatter, but it helps folk of all abilities to understand the why’s of the situation and method. The chatter while training seems excessive but i think he uses that to get everyone relaxed and not focusing so intensely on the horse he’s working, to avoid a tense atmosphere which the horse undoubtably picks up on.
There tends to be the owners/friends there while he’s doing the training and doesnt want all those pairs of eyes just staring silently at the horse. He’s training them aswell as the horse!
When he asked for them to make a cup of tea was to disperse the crowd during a tense moment of the 1 eyed horse having just come out of the stable. The atmosphere could be cut with a knife right then. Everyone went silent suddenly. All minds thinking “wow -she’s out! What is she going to do now?” He had to break that anxious/tense vibe with movement and chatting.
He’d do better without an audience there, but then again the owners are needed to be there to understand their horse better and how themselves to handle the situation once he’s left their yard.

Carrottom

Visit site
I have watched a few and find them interesting and informative. In one of the latest ones he does explain that chatting and joking is to keep everyone relaxed.
I like the fact that he takes care not to criticise owners or other trainers but if he needs to correct the way in which an owner is handling their horse once he has worked with them he does it quickly but fairly.

Visit site
The videos are very good for showing people good horsemanship, The chatter for me is too much and I move the videos on when I see him in his hanging chair but I do think the chatter would be great for people wanting to understand his thoughts and develop their own horsemanship skills.

I do find it incredibly distracting when the person operating the video gets distracted and isn’t concentrating filming.

Charlotte young

New User
Visit site
Hi guys :) we have weekly videos on the main page , and we’ll as a few random pictures, mini videos and live videos - which is completely free for anyone to watch. We do also have a subscription page which goes into a bit more details - inc weekly updates when we started breaking Duke in, other peoples lessons, client visits, horses that come to stay at the ranch and from next week - updates on Holly , our new unbroken horse - how we start her, step by step. It’s not just western - it’s for everyone - just good horsemanship. Also the subscription channel is good for those who do enjoy watching to learn , and listen to dad chat …. He chats and repeats stuff to help the viewers understand and makes it as simple as he can - never tried to over complicate anything. As a family …. We like to talk haha

Sandstone1

Visit site
Hi guys :) we have weekly videos on the main page , and we’ll as a few random pictures, mini videos and live videos - which is completely free for anyone to watch. We do also have a subscription page which goes into a bit more details - inc weekly updates when we started breaking Duke in, other peoples lessons, client visits, horses that come to stay at the ranch and from next week - updates on Holly , our new unbroken horse - how we start her, step by step. It’s not just western - it’s for everyone - just good horsemanship. Also the subscription channel is good for those who do enjoy watching to learn , and listen to dad chat …. He chats and repeats stuff to help the viewers understand and makes it as simple as he can - never tried to over complicate anything. As a family …. We like to talk haha
Thank you, I have found a lot more videos etc. I do like your Dads common sense attitude and calm and fair handling.