Steward Clogs - do you have experience of them?

Eaglestone

Visit site
After speaking to my Farrier today we came to the conclusion that my Cushings horse Motor, who had 10 degrees P3 rotation in 2005 following Laminitis, cannot cope with having metal shoes being nailed on any longer :(

We discussed him having Steward Clogs. either at the next shoeing in 6 weeks, or earlier if need be.

He assures me they are taped on and will not come off :confused:, so I am hoping that some of you HHO people may be able to give me your personal experiences and even include some pictures of your Ned in them.

Many thanks and waiting in anticipation :D

vonni

Visit site
Hi, my chap had steward clogs on in Feb 2011 when he had acute lami on all four feet, both front feet and sunk but with no rotation. He had them on for 6 months but my farrier was able to nail them on rather than tape them. The only real problem I had with them was when I had to start walking him out in hand as when it was wet, because they were made of wood, they became a bit slippery.

They did the trick for him but every case is different but as my farrier has looked after my horse for 18 years I have complete faith in him and my vet also was happy to work with him.

I have attached some photos of his clogs so you can get an idea but he did make them so your farrier might produce something different. Good luck.

P5050725.jpg

P5050726.jpg

P5050729.jpg

Eaglestone

Visit site
Hi, my chap had steward clogs on in Feb 2011 when he had acute lami on all four feet, both front feet and sunk but with no rotation. He had them on for 6 months but my farrier was able to nail them on rather than tape them. The only real problem I had with them was when I had to start walking him out in hand as when it was wet, because they were made of wood, they became a bit slippery.

They did the trick for him but every case is different but as my farrier has looked after my horse for 18 years I have complete faith in him and my vet also was happy to work with him.

I have attached some photos of his clogs so you can get an idea but he did make them so your farrier might produce something different. Good luck.

Thanks for the information and your pics, they could be Motor's feet :confused:

The ones he has recommended are plastic, so may have different issues :mad:

I had not thought about any slipping and gripping issue though, so I would be interested to know what horses are like, when wearing the plastic one.

He wears Boa boots on the hinds and they do slip, if it has just rained, or if the going is a bit deep.

I hope your horse is doing well?

Eaglestone

Visit site

He wears the Boa boots on his hinds and they are successful, as long as I have a hand putting them on :eek:

Farrier says he cannot go without front shoes, due to his history and his soles are very thin now and even going convex :mad:. Therefore I really want something that stays on permanently, but not nailed on.

Thank you for the link, I will go off and have a read.

vonni

Visit site
Hi, he is fine thank you, we are getting there.

I think my farrier just did what he thought was the best for my horse and his circumstances so made them to suit him. 1 year on and he is sound, back in normal shoes just with pads and I have just started to long rein him as the first part of bringing him back into work. It was a very long journey with him and he was a star, 7 months box rest which he seemed to like, then was the perfect gentleman when I started walking in hand. All that from one of those naughty welsh cobs!

Oberon

Visit site
He wears the Boa boots on his hinds and they are successful, as long as I have a hand putting them on :eek:

Farrier says he cannot go without front shoes, due to his history and his soles are very thin now and even going convex :mad:. Therefore I really want something that stays on permanently, but not nailed on.

Thank you for the link, I will go off and have a read.

Does the farrier have any advice as to WHY your horse has thin soles?

This is written by Pete Ramey - who has made a career out of rehabing lami horses
http://hoofrehab.com/HoofRehabProtocol.htm

http://www.safergrass.org/pdf/LaminitisDefense.pdf

http://easycarenews.com/10-04-2010/articles/the-tender-footed-horse/

Fancy and expensive shoes and remedial gadgetry is all well and good - but it's still loading a horse on a weak laminae.

I'd look long and hard at his sugar/starch intake versus his mineral balance and consider engaging the services of someone who can relieve the pressure from the laminae while still keeping the horse comfortable.

There is also Equi casts with pads to consider.

Flame_

Visit site
:eek: I've no experience with these but the lack of traction makes them look like a none starter to me for anything more than box rest on rubber mats. I'd explore other alternatives if possible OP.

amandap

Visit site
Farrier says he cannot go without front shoes, due to his history and his soles are very thin now and even going convex :mad:.
I missed this. This is worrying I'm afraid. :( Do read the links Oberon put up and you are very right imo to be looking for other more supportive options. x

Boots with pads is one option for good support. http://www.easycareinc.com/other_products/comfort_pads.aspx
A good, appropriate trim for your horse is also very important in laminitis recovery. It really is worth finding a professional with lots of successful experience in lamintis rehab if you can.

Last edited by a moderator:

Oberon

Visit site

Eaglestone

Visit site
Does the farrier have any advice as to WHY your horse has thin soles?

This is written by Pete Ramey - who has made a career out of rehabing lami horses
http://hoofrehab.com/HoofRehabProtocol.htm

http://www.safergrass.org/pdf/LaminitisDefense.pdf

http://easycarenews.com/10-04-2010/articles/the-tender-footed-horse/

Fancy and expensive shoes and remedial gadgetry is all well and good - but it's still loading a horse on a weak laminae.

I'd look long and hard at his sugar/starch intake versus his mineral balance and consider engaging the services of someone who can relieve the pressure from the laminae while still keeping the horse comfortable.

There is also Equi casts with pads to consider.

Thank you for your advice.

He is 30 and has had Cushing's since 2005, which triggered the Laminitis. He was on 5 months box rest, without shoes (after trying EDSS shoes) and his heels were trimmed every 2 weeks. After trying glue on shoes, to get him out of his stable, I eventually gave in and had NB shoes nailed on .... and that is how he has been for the last 5 years.

I do hope that I have done the best for him and tbo to get him this far, I think myself and my Farrier need a medal.

If I can improve his diet, under the circumstances, then perhaps you can give me some advice on that?

I feel that now, even if I can feed him the correct balance (if it has been me that has failed), it is too late. So that is why I was asking for peoples experience on Steward Clogs.

Eaglestone

Visit site
Hi, he is fine thank you, we are getting there.

I think my farrier just did what he thought was the best for my horse and his circumstances so made them to suit him. 1 year on and he is sound, back in normal shoes just with pads and I have just started to long rein him as the first part of bringing him back into work. It was a very long journey with him and he was a star, 7 months box rest which he seemed to like, then was the perfect gentleman when I started walking in hand. All that from one of those naughty welsh cobs!

I am so glad that you have got to the other side of that horrid Laminitis tunnel :)

Motor was on 5 months box rest, back in 2005, only coming out for the Vet and the Farrier, both of them were great. But is was the sheer determination of Motor, that got him through it, he is such a fighter and never ever once has complained :)

It was such and awful time and only something, that someone dedicated can ever endure, but the love of your, beloved horse, keeps you going.

I never ever, in my wildest dreams, thought I would ever have ridden him again, but after 10 months, the Vet asked if I was riding him, when he did a coutesy call. Well, I nearly fell of my chair, as I really thought I would never get on him again. And since then, apart from some glitches, we have continued to be seen out and about, with me proudly sitting on him :). Unfortunately, he is not 100% sound at the moment, so we are back to walking him out and about, in hand.

BTW he is a Welsh D x Hackney, in my Siggie below :D

<< hug >> to youe Welshy ;)

Eaglestone

Visit site

Eaglestone

Visit site
:eek: I've no experience with these but the lack of traction makes them look like a none starter to me for anything more than box rest on rubber mats. I'd explore other alternatives if possible OP.

The ones my Farrier showed me, looked very much like the Boa boots, at the bottom and Motor is doing really well out and about in those :). We put them on and off he goes with a spring in his step, it's as if he knows we are off out :)

KSR

Visit site
I can show you a pic illustrating how comfortable he is in them, lol.. Moves normally other than being quite sensitive to tight corners..

I'll get some business end piccies for you asap..

f7436cfb.jpg

Oberon

Visit site
Thank you for your advice.

He is 30 and has had Cushing's since 2005, which triggered the Laminitis. He was on 5 months box rest, without shoes (after trying EDSS shoes) and his heels were trimmed every 2 weeks. After trying glue on shoes, to get him out of his stable, I eventually gave in and had NB shoes nailed on .... and that is how he has been for the last 5 years.

I do hope that I have done the best for him and tbo to get him this far, I think myself and my Farrier need a medal.

If I can improve his diet, under the circumstances, then perhaps you can give me some advice on that?

I feel that now, even if I can feed him the correct balance (if it has been me that has failed), it is too late. So that is why I was asking for peoples experience on Steward Clogs.

My apologies. I must have missed in your OP the important information that he is a 30 year old with PPID.

With that information, temporary relief has to be the goal rather than long term soundness.

With the PPID in mind - if you are not already a member, this group is extremely helpful for information. They have lots of Files with info on different herbs etc. There even may be people with prev exp of the Clogs on there.

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/EquineCushings/

This is also a good site
http://www.safergrass.org/

Good luck with him.

Eaglestone

Visit site
My apologies. I must have missed in your OP the important information that he is a 30 year old with PPID.

With that information, temporary relief has to be the goal rather than long term soundness.

With the PPID in mind - if you are not already a member, this group is extremely helpful for information. They have lots of Files with info on different herbs etc. There even may be people with prev exp of the Clogs on there.

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/EquineCushings/

This is also a good site
http://www.safergrass.org/

Good luck with him.

Thank you for the further information and advice .... Sorry, but I only mentioned the Cushing's and not Motor's age .... tbo I thought people on here may have been fed up, over the years, about me spouting off about his age :eek:

And thank you also for your good luck .... I need it more than ever now, as he is definately in his twilight years :(

My lovely Motor, is in my Siggie .... the first time I cantered him in 2007, after his Laminitis attack in 2005 ... it took that long for me to be brave enough not to hurt him ...

Oberon

Visit site
Thank you for the further information and advice .... Sorry, but I only mentioned the Cushing's and not Motor's age .... tbo I thought people on here may have been fed up, over the years, about me spouting off about his age :eek:

And thank you also for your good luck .... I need it more than ever now, as he is definately in his twilight years :(

My lovely Motor, is in my Siggie .... the first time I cantered him in 2007, after his Laminitis attack in 2005 ... it took that long for me to be brave enough not to hurt him ...

He's lovely.

His age is something to be proud of;)

Mine is a spring chicken at a mere 25/2 :p