Sticking a poultice to a shoulder?

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
Hi
One of mine has managed to get an infected fly bite right on the flat surface of her shoulder. I had a satisfying squeeze at it earlier, and got a fair bit of pus out, so it looks a lot better.
I'd like to poultice it though - but can't think of a way of securing a damp animalintex onto her shoulder without pulling all her hair out (she would be a bit scowly at that).
I thought I'd ask if you had any ideas.
Masking tape?
Are there any dressings which stick but not too much?
Or any other forms of poultice I could use?

Any suggestions gratefully received.

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
If it were a vet attaching it I suspect it would be bandages all the way around, and between the front legs. Think Egyptian mummy.

Have you got a snuggy hood thing you could put over the top?

Obviously the ideal solution is you spend all day and night standing with her holding it.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
When I had a cut and staples to protect on my horses cheek, my vet gave me this sticky foam stuff called Animal Polster which stayed on really well. Might not last overnight with a lotof movement but should hold for a few hours to do some good. Just make sure you have a good size margin around the wet poultice.

ETA this stuff https://www.hyperdrug.co.uk/animal-...QeKVp49FcPMSnxBb0Ckbz57szSRPbdjxoCs_kQAvD_BwE

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
I like the ideas of a clay or similar texture poultice, and/or the Polster stuff if I can get any locally.

Not so keen on the Egyptian Mummy plan, nor the standing there overnight, holding it. :D

Fransurrey

Visit site
I used kaolin poultice for an abscess in the chin groove, once. Had to reapply twice a day, but it did work. Might be more successful on the shoulder!

cremedemonthe

Was Caterham on the Hill, Surrey now Wales
Visit site
Had a liveries horse with a wound that got infected on their shoulder, livery yard owner asked me to knock up a contraption using an old breastplate as a base that she gave me. I added some elastic and padding and a few extra straps and it worked a treat, she just undid it took out old dressing and shoved in a new clean one. Kept the flies off and the wound healed, was touch and go before that as they couldn't stop the flies and dirt getting in.
Was a long time ago but remember it helped save that horse.

MagicMelon

Visit site
There used to be fantastic stuff which was like a big plaster for the horse. It worked really well and was sticky enough to stay on the horses coat. Ive never been able to find it since however... surely it still exists or something similar does at least

PapaverFollis

Visit site
Thanks for the advice - but you can all stop pandering to that ghoul, PapaverFollis now. :D

(I did think about taking a photo for you this morning PF, but the infection had gone down so it just looks like a boring fly bite now. :p)

That video set me off on a gloriously gory YouTube journey! I'm all abscessed out now. ?

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
There used to be fantastic stuff which was like a big plaster for the horse. It worked really well and was sticky enough to stay on the horses coat. Ive never been able to find it since however... surely it still exists or something similar does at least

Do you mean the animal Polster I linked to earlier on the thread? When my vet gave me some it was in the box so I knew what it was called.

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
I've decided just to nail it to her shoulder. That will secure it.

(Completely unrelated to the fact she keeps taking down my grass fence to gorge on the grass - a great plan when you are grass allergic, laminitic and have EMS :mad::D).
My old lad sustained a nasty kick at the top of his forearm. Couldn't keep a dressing on. In the end I glued it on!