Sticky burrs!

ponypolisher

Visit site
The pony is about move to winter grazing, where two of his field pals already are - but who have been attacked by burrs to the extent that some of their manes and tails have had to be cut out!

This is something I've never had a problem with, so my question is: any recommendations for what to put on manes/tails with to try and prevent burrs sticking on in the first place? Have read coconut oil, show sheen ect so far but wanted to pick some brains on here too.

Thanks in advance!

HaffiesRock

Visit site
You have just reminded me... My pony moves onto his winter grazing this weekend and one edge of it has burrs L( Ill be chopping the horrible stuff down!

My pony has a very thick mane and once in they just dont come out!!

nutnut

Visit site
You could maybe plait the forelock, tail and mane...that way at least the burrs wont be buried into the mane and tail...will just be on the surface

MileyMouse

Visit site
the only way you will stop them from sticking is to cut the plants down and remove from the field ! Hate hate hate them especially when you pull them off with your fingers and the little hooks get stuck in your finger!!

AntxGeorgiax

Visit site
Echo plaiting manes, I smother my horses mane and forelock in in mane and tail conditioner - the Carr day and Martin one, and brush it every day and the burrs just seem to slide out fairly easily!

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
You could try combing pig oil (on its own) through the mane & tail........ I do this for my two, not because they've got burrs in the field (know they haven't coz if there was trouble out there they'd find it!!!) - but it stops the mud and gunk from sticking and you end up with lovely shiney manes & tails and the mud just washed off nicely; also good for legs (but not with sulphur - nasty stuff!).

Just an idea???

legaldancer

Visit site
A hoof pick can help get them out. The burrs also have an itching powder effect as you break them up - horrid things! I would spray conditioner in their manes and rails but it would probably be easier to get rid of all the burrs first!

Cobiau Cymreig Wyllt

Visit site
Ditto if you can get rid of the plants first it's best...two of us once spent about 6 hours slogging round a steep four acre field doing just that...it was worth the effort...otherwise baby oil and brushing will get them out eventually but as soon as they go back into the field, if the plants are still there, they'll stick again...nightmare...I know of a youngster who had a completely burred mane and tail and has since had very weak hair growth..have always wondered if the burrs and/or subsequent heavy brushing to get them out weakened the roots...

ponypolisher

Visit site
Thanks for all your replies!

Piggy oil is a good idea, never thought of that! Failing that I'll stick some baby oil on for good measure. Also will try plaiting :)

The field hasn't been grazed for a several years previously so it's got a bit wild, but is being maintained now so plants are being tackled head on. Fingers crossed.

What horrible things they are! Will not be impressed if pony comes in sporting a burr-fro.

Thanks again guys!

siennamum

Visit site
Do be careful of them causing eye problems.
We have lots of them, although the fields were sprayed in the Spring and it got rid of most of them.
I am an expert at removing them from manes & tails, best way to stop them getting too bad is to plait & oil the mane & tail.

Gwyntbryn

Visit site
Ghastly things. I though I'd managed to spray them all this year, but the mares still managed to find some and after a week of picking them out every evening I resorted to spending 2 hours going round the field pulling off all the burrs from the remaining plants.

Echo problems with horses eyes and spikes in fingers too! Mind you, the mares are at least pretty good at standing to have them teased out of their forelocks. Ro even started mutual grooming me while I was doing it, so it must be quite a relief!