Sticky plasters??

Loubidy

Visit site
Hello

hoping someone has a tried and tested suggestion? What plasters of tape is super sticky to fur?

Horse has managed to slice his jaw (seen by vet - advised keep clean but didn’t think it was worth stitching) said horse doesn’t do box rest so need to keep the mud out of the cut as best as possible - have ordered a turnout hood due home tomorrow but want to try and stick some sort of plaster over the top so I can keep the wound from scabbing and heal better.

Does anyone know any super sticky plaster or tape that sticks to fur? Hoping the hood will then prevent from being peeled off no it needs stickiness to stay in place!

thanks!

South Dakota

Visit site
I've had great success using Primapore's (come in various sizes) and Opsite spray just before applying Primapore- acts as an extra barrier but lets the wound breathe but also makes the plaster more sticky. First photo shows an extra large Primapore on a hind leg, stayed firmly in place for 24hrs. Sticks well to fur in my many experiences of using them due to an accident prone youngster.
Leg plaster.pngopsite small.jpgPrimapores small.jpg

Northern Hare

Visit site
Two suggestions... First is spray on plaster, but only if your horse is ok with spray cans near his head! Second is Filtabac cream which dries to a protective crust, so protecting the skin / wound underneath.

... And a third would be the wide Elastoplast stretchy plaster tape (on roll) with a melolin non-stick dressing underneath, and the turnout hood over the top.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Elastoplas...76&hvtargid=pla-357921144693&psc=1&th=1&psc=1

Last edited:

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
Mine did something similar a few years back, only he was stapled, it was winter then too.
Vet gave me Animal Polster which i stuck to me side of his jaw. Stayed on so well when another horse got hold of it, the bit he had hold of tore off leaving the rest stuck on and teeth marks on the edge.

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
My horse had a bad injury in a very difficult place to bandage. Tried everything. In the end I dabbed glue round the edge of the dressing. It worked a treat. I didn't need to change the dressing daily at that point. Polster was fine towards the end of the healing.

Cragrat

Visit site
The aluminium spray plaster is fantastic - if you can use it on her jaw.

A layer of superglue also works well if the wound doesn't need to drain.

I love the idea of just gluing the dressing on though - genius!

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
The aluminium spray plaster is fantastic - if you can use it on her jaw.

A layer of superglue also works well if the wound doesn't need to drain.

I love the idea of just gluing the dressing on though - genius!

The injury to my lad was right on top of his forearm and you could nearly put your fist in it!! Impossible to keep a dressing on. Someone on here suggested gluing and it really was a game changer. I was worried about a reaction as my old boy has sensorineural but it was fine. Not sure the vet was impressed though!!

Regandal

Visit site
I used neem oil on a chest laceration. It was draining serous fluid and a dressing was a no-go. I just squirted it on twice a day, it is painless and kills bacteria, viruses and fungal infections. Healed without scarring. Only drawback is the smell…….