stiff/arthritic joints, what can help??

Vicki1986

Visit site
have had suggestions that the following may help ... Omega3 oils (cod liver oil), ginger, cider vinegar, MSM to relieve symptoms and glucosamine and chondroitin supplement to delay progression.

Any further bright ideas??

She is already on cortaflex

Blizzard

Visit site
I will watch this with interest, was going to ask myself!

umm I cant think of any apart from those,
confused.gif

equibabe20

Visit site
I work at a retirement home for old horses and we use Gluco-Flex that works really well. There's also on called Arthri-Aid we use that too and thats fantastic. I use it on one with navicular, arthritis and stringholt and he's like a youngster now canters everywhere!!

Theresa_F

Visit site
Having had several golden oldies these are my tips.

As much turn out as possible. If in at least three sessions of walking for 10 mins min a day.

Keep a rug on in cold wet weather to keep back and hips warm and dry. If you have a TB type leg wraps will also benefit in very cold/damp weather.

Plenty of regular exercise and allow at least 10 mins in walk before attempting anything else. You need at least 30 mins warm up on an older stiff horse.

Avoid working tight circles, and take things easy on hard ground to avoid jarring. A little bit of light jumping does seem to loose them up if they are capable.

Cortaflex - very good stuff and I get mine from the USA which is far cheaper.

Magnetic straps - tough one and no medical reason why they work, but they do help my old Clydie.

Finally I used to give my old TB after the age of 23 a bute every other day and 2 a day before and after hunting to keep her comfortable.

emma_lg

Visit site
Hi...my tb mare is arthritic in her hocks mainly..I give her a glucosamine supplement and cider vinegar, she is turned out all day, when cold she has thermatex leg wraps on at night.
I have been told that MSM is good for arthritis after injury..rather than wear & tear - don't know how true that is tho. She also has remedial shoeing but that is because of where her arthritis is.
She has been absolutely fine with the above.
I know it is difficult to know what to give them from all that is available now. I remember when garlic was the 'in' thing!!!!

Theresa_F

Visit site
Forgot to add - keep their weight off. Fat horses will have more problems.

Can be difficult when they are not so mobile, but I feed lots of stalky hay and plenty of low cal fibre products so they eat all the time but keep trim.

Poor old Mr C is now some 80 kilos lighter than he used to be - he was over 780 and is now about 700 - 710 and moves far better and can get up easier.