Stiff Old Boy & supplements

Fabforester

Visit site
My 17yr old terrier is struggling. We are at the stage of making him as comfortable as possible and so I wondered if anyone can offer any recommendations.
He is on gavapentin three times a day. He has renal failure and some gastro complications so we have had to stop the loxicom. We take him for a little sea swim most mornings and we walk, when he chooses to! Supplement wise his meds are hidden in mackerel and he has two Yumove plus in his dinner which is Royal Canin Ageing and fresh chicken. I would love to know if you have success with anything else, other supplements etc, for your older dog?
Thank you.

Umbongo

Visit site
Has the vet suggested any other medications? Gabapentin is more suitable for neuropathic pain, but it can work well when used with other analgesic medications, for example non-steroidal anti-inflammatories. Some drugs may worsen the renal failure, but quality of life should be priority over quantity at this stage. My old cat had renal failure for 5 years. In his last few months I gave him metacam to keep him comfortable. He didn't suffer with gastro problems from this though. There are other drugs out there though that may not upset his tummy.

Bellasophia

Visit site
Well done for getting him this far,seventeen is a grand old age.
I dont think you can add or tweek your meds much more at this stage..if he were mine I’d buy a second hand childs folding push chair and get him out with you as you do ,let him choose if he want to walk a bit,or swim( wow) .
Then he would have a warm blanket,to snuggle in and ride home in style.

Fabforester

Visit site
Well done for getting him this far,seventeen is a grand old age.
I dont think you can add or tweek your meds much more at this stage..if he were mine I’d buy a second hand childs folding push chair and get him out with you as you do ,let him choose if he want to walk a bit,or swim( wow) .
Then he would have a warm blanket,to snuggle in and ride home in style.
Thank you that’s lovely to say. If he is comfortable and still eyeing up the squirrels for imaginary chases, we will continue. He was my wedding present, I owe him so much. So, we want this to be a dignified and happy time for him.

StableMum

Visit site
My 10 year old lad has been on Nutraquin+ for some years now but a while ago we found that sometimes after a long walk he would be quite stiff to the point of being lame. My daughter, a vet, put him onto Flexadin Advanced which is a one a day chewy type tablet (one chew regardless of size of dog) and I can honestly say that he has shown no lameness since. I really think for him it has made a real difference. And he loves them too.