Stiff older horse living out

Charlielily17

New User
Visit site
Hi, my horse is 15 years old ,ISH. He has started living out but has got stiffer and stiffer. He is not lame but is just really stiff. I’m going to start bringing him over night, but didn’t know if there is anything I could do extra?

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Definitely speak to your vet. My stiff, older horse is crippled when she first walks out if stabled overnight and does much better living out. She is older than yours and just has some age related arthritis.

Goldenstar

Visit site
You need to vet to see him it sounds like he’s reached the stage where he needs medication to preserve his quality of life .

Auslander

Visit site
A 15yr old who lives out shouldn't be stiff, so I suspect there is something going on. I'd be getting the vet, if it were me.
My horse is 24, has mamy issues, and lives out 24/7 all year round. He's a bit stiff when it's below freezing, but far better than when he comes in overnight

MuddyMonster

Visit site
Are you absolutely sure its stiffness?

Early stage laminitis can present like this and if the horse has just gone on to grass 24/7 it might be something to consider.

I was just about to post this. I missed the very early stages of laminitis with mine in the Autumn as we put it down to 'a bit of stiffness' - it correlated with his living arrangements at the time - but it was laminitis/PPID related on this occasion.

Definitely speak to your vet ASAP.

teddypops

Visit site
I agree with speaking to your vet. 15 is not particularly old so it might not be age related but you need a diagnosis so you can manage the condition correctly. Lameness is an abnormality of gait, so he does sound lame.

paddi22

Visit site
has he been tested for cushings? it could be a laminitis related thing as people said as that's a symptom of cushings