stifle arthritis?

impresario08

Visit site
does anyone have a horse with stifle arthritis? how do you manage it? are there any decent supplements that won't break the bank?

Ruftysdad

Visit site
Hi,
My horse was recently diagnosed with stifle arthritis, The vet prescribed one Bute a day. I also give him devil's claw. He seems much better as he was struggling to get up. He is ridden about 4 times a week , just a gentle hack. He is 24

Nik90

Visit site
My gelding was diagnosed with stifle arthritis 10 years ago. He was managed initially by changing from schooling to hacking only, no tight turns. I also leave him turned out as much as possible and try to keep him in at least light work (walking with the odd trot or canter if he feels like it). Now he is about 22 with more problems and has this year just started needed danilon on occasion. He is kept well rugged (looses weight easily as well), turned out all the time unless he wants to be stabled or there is severe weather, kept with a another gelding he is very attached too and fed linseed and equimins flexijoint. I've tried a few, I think it helps, at least when he eats it. For work he sets the pace and we stick with what he is comfortable with. I had to invest in boots for the back legs as I found over time the movement became closer, not sure if that's the joints or the muscles though.

impresario08

Visit site
My gelding was diagnosed with stifle arthritis 10 years ago. He was managed initially by changing from schooling to hacking only, no tight turns. I also leave him turned out as much as possible and try to keep him in at least light work (walking with the odd trot or canter if he feels like it). Now he is about 22 with more problems and has this year just started needed danilon on occasion. He is kept well rugged (looses weight easily as well), turned out all the time unless he wants to be stabled or there is severe weather, kept with a another gelding he is very attached too and fed linseed and equimins flexijoint. I've tried a few, I think it helps, at least when he eats it. For work he sets the pace and we stick with what he is comfortable with. I had to invest in boots for the back legs as I found over time the movement became closer, not sure if that's the joints or the muscles though.

thanks! what boots did you get?

Nik90

Visit site
He has huge legs so I am limited to those that come in a big enough size. I use brushing boots and over reach boots on his back legs when he is moving close as these are the most effective at covering the areas he clips. I've had to try a few to find ones he will tolerate. I also have turnout and stable boots but I don't use them often as he is rather skilful at removing them himself.