stifle arthroscopy

sye777

Visit site
Well following my boys lameness work up, nerve blocking, xrays, scans and steroid injections into both stifles and the joy of 6.5 weeks box rest the bad news is he has deteriorated.
So tomorrow I get the date for his arthroscopy (bilateral). All I have been told is that until they go in they cant say much as very little showed up on the xrays etc but have been assured this is the norm?? Also to expect 6-12 month rest and recovery.
Insurers have been fantastic thankfully!
Am driving myself slightly crackers as he has not coped that well with the box rest (we are now on 7.5 weeks) plus am worried what they could find and therefore realistic chance of recovery.
He is a tbx 16.1 and just turned 12yrs. He is liveried at a large busy yard (approx 60 horses) but with a good routine which he needs and where we have been for 3 years but does have quite limited winter turn out.
I dont even know what I want to ask! but all experinces good, bad and ugly will be appreciated regarding actual op, findings, recovery and routine (turn out being one of my big concerns).
Thankyou!!!!!

Izzwizz

Visit site
My mare had arthroscopy performed on her fetlock to remove a bone chip. The 2 entry holes could hardly be seen and she had a stitch at each side. She had a bandage of for 3 days from memory and I believe the op is relatively simple. The vet has a tv screen and the procedure is seen via this. She recovered well, I think it was 2 wks box rest then 4 wks field rest. You may need to have individual turnout as your horses op sounds a little more in depth than mine. Another horse on our yard had stifle surgery similar to yours. She had individual turnout and from memory, had quite a bit of time in the field before ridden work was resumed.

If you google equine arthroscopy you will find more info, I know I did and its helpful. Good luck with it.

star

Visit site
mine had bilateral stifle arthroscopy 5wks ago. he's been on box rest since then. i got him home the day after surgery although normally they keep them at least 2days but i'm a vet so they let me have him back. he had hardly anything to see on his xrays so they suspected a soft tissue injury. turns out he has got bilateral OCD and damage to his RH cruciate ligament. they said 6wks box rest then 6mths individual paddock rest in a 15mx15m paddock. prognosis is guarded :( He's only just turned 8 :( he had 3 stitches in his RH and 2 in his LH - just one stitch in each hole and they healed up really quickly. didn't even come home on bute. looks sound in walk but he's not allowed to trot so no idea if he's still lame or not. it's so depressing. i hope you get a better outcome.

Booboos

Visit site
My old horse had bilateral arthroscopy for OCD. Although there was nothing to see on x-rays, the arthroscopy showed he was one of the worst cases the vet had seen. He had 9 months of box rest and gradual return to work (both were a nightmare), then another 6 months of turn-out and work. He was pronounced sound but the problem returned 6 months further down the line.

I have heard of a lot of horses with much better outcomes so it's not all doom and gloom. Wait and see what the arthroscopy shows tomorrow. Good luck!

minmax

Visit site
my 4 yr old had bilateral stifles and hocks arthroscopy. The outcome is also guarded if not doomed. He was on box rest then turn out in small pen(which didnt work as too far from yard and galloped round fretting) I then turned him out with my other boy and hes been fine. Needs the joint injections before he can start doing anything but seems ok in walk. I havnt trotted him up as don't want to see if hes lame or not!
The stilfe was the worse, it had cracked cartalage surface.

CBFan

Visit site
recovery and prognosis really depends on what they find... My filly had the worst case of OCD her very experienced surgeon had ever seen and unfortunately my vet said she's never make more than a light hack so after recovery, she went back to her breeder and she is apparently now sound.

I was advised 8-12 weeks box rest then to begin short walks in hand and then turn-out in a small paddock. 'complete' recovery expected within 6-9 months. For me the box rest wasn't a problem but the walking out in hand was - I wouldn't advise it!!

You may want to ask for some sedalin and perhaps plan for turnout in a small padock with a quiet companion...

sye777

Visit site
Thankyou all so much for your replies and experiences.
We now have the date for surgery but not for another week owing to holidays (not mine)!!
Izzwizz thankyou its great to know your horse has recovered and rest assured I have googled like a mad woman but just wanted some first hand experience!
Star and Minmax I sincerely wish your horses back to full health.
Booboos I am sorry to hear your news.
CBFan again sorry to hear your experience, must be bitter sweet after all you went through to now know she is sound.
Thankyou al though for your help, as you say until we go in........................
best I just start negotiating my turnout pen as that seems to be obligatory :)
Best wishes.