Stifle arthroscopy

theoilbaron

Visit site
Horse had lameness workup. Very subtle lameness but has been displaying behavioural changes, i.e. napping, tongue over bit/lolling. Diagnosed with boney changes in both hocks but also bilateral stifle lameness. Going for arthroscopy in a few days but now worrying re long term rehab and prognosis. Anybody got any positive experiences and got their horse back into a decent level of work?

gunnergundog

Visit site
Did they ultrasound the stifles? If so, what did it show? Is the arthroscopy purely exploratory or to do something specific like tidy up the meniscii? Also, how old is the horse and what is his hind leg conformation like?

theoilbaron

Visit site
Did they ultrasound the stifles? If so, what did it show? Is the arthroscopy purely exploratory or to do something specific like tidy up the meniscii? Also, how old is the horse and what is his hind leg conformation like?
Hes a 10yr old Irish Draught. Good hind limb confirmation. They ultrasounded one which shows fluid/debris, other positive on blocking so going to explore that one as well. So yes not sure what they are going to find, X-rays ok so hopefully just a 'tidy' up. Not obviously lame in field but just 'not quite right' when ridden. Just worried now if potentially going to make things worse.

tda

Visit site
My dad's gelding had this op at a bit older age, did all the box rest hand walking etc, he seemed ok, but never got back to his previous fitness, partly due to my dad's illness.
He obviously got stiffer in later life, not lame as such, he went at age 20, after losing a lot of weight

Celtic Fringe

Visit site
My cob had stifle arthroscopy at Liphook several years ago - he was probably around 18 or 20 at the time. He had a successful outcome but 'only' had debris removed - the meniscus was not torn. Following discussion with our vet he had a couple of nights box rest at the horspital and only one night in at home because he does not tolerate being in a stable. He was turned out in a small paddock for ~ 8 weeks and then gradually brought back into work (hacking, TREC, Pony Club etc). I continued to ride him until he was ~ 25 when he developed an annular ligament problem and was retired. He is now ~ 30 and totally sound, giving his herd and the YO the run around! Liphook phoned me around once a year for several years asking for an update - it seems that my lad had a very good outcome compared with many. Good luck with your horse - I think that recovery is much more likely if there is 'only' fluid and debris.

theoilbaron

Visit site
My cob had stifle arthroscopy at Liphook several years ago - he was probably around 18 or 20 at the time. He had a successful outcome but 'only' had debris removed - the meniscus was not torn. Following discussion with our vet he had a couple of nights box rest at the horspital and only one night in at home because he does not tolerate being in a stable. He was turned out in a small paddock for ~ 8 weeks and then gradually brought back into work (hacking, TREC, Pony Club etc). I continued to ride him until he was ~ 25 when he developed an annular ligament problem and was retired. He is now ~ 30 and totally sound, giving his herd and the YO the run around! Liphook phoned me around once a year for several years asking for an update - it seems that my lad had a very good outcome compared with many. Good luck with your horse - I think that recovery is much more likely if there is 'only' fluid and debris.
Thankyou for that makes me feel a bit more positive. Hopefully not a meniscal tear as very subtle lameness. Had a previous horse with that and he was very lame. Fingers crossed.