Stifle bone changes

sye777

Visit site
Have kind of put off posting this as part of me would rather not know however having had my only working horsey stapled back together today I am numb to most things!
Have had intermittent hind leg problem with my boy which has resulted in him dragging his toes very badly, unable to walk down hills, disuniting in canter, cow kicking etc etc however bizarely not lame in the true sense just so not him to ride.
Following lots of "ruling out" we took him last week to vets for investigations where he ended up staying for 3 days. He has bilateral stifle bone changes ie not arthritis!
To date he has been injected into both stifles with anti inflammotories (sp?) and steroids that I cannot remember the name of and is now on 6 weeks box rest :-( and 6 weeks bute.
Next stage is back to vets in 7 weeks then either more jabs or if not working IRAP.
Has anyone else had this problem? Its apparently not an injury as opposed to just one of those things. He is 11 so no great age.
We are one week in almost and boy oh boy he is bored and frustrated as loves his work. Sadly part of the problem is he is to blooming honest and tried to compensate rather than throw me off and/or his toys out of the pram.
Then to top it all the girl gets badly injured in field today!
Yes am gutted !

CBFan

Visit site
So are we talking OCD type leisions in the stifle? If so it is very common... have they mentioned the option of surgery? Often they like to try anti-inflamitories and medicating the joint first but resort to surgery in the end.

I hope he mends for you soon.

Sorry to hear about your girl too xx

sye777

Visit site
Thankyou CBFan have just been reading up on ocd lesions and does sound similar to his diagnosis and treatment but am going to ask vet tomorrow when looking at my mare!
They have mentioned a scope type surgery and IRAP if the injections dont work.
Having seen his xrays and scans I know the joints have flattened in all 3 areas and have bony growth on the back end but that his ligaments etc are all good and there is no sign of arthritis anywhere!
Vets did also say that he was a lot better than most they see :-s
I have a lot of "if's" but if this is OCD and the jabs work how long normally till back in ridden work? and if we end up in surgery same question. Its not that I am looking for a short cut but just a realistic time scale from anyone who has been there.

The girly is stiff and sore and had more jabs today for pain and infection as she refuses to eat them! Vet back again tomorrow..............roll on the bills!!

Thanks again

CBFan

Visit site
I don't have experience of this in a working horse as my filly was just a yearling when she had the surgery. generally recovery from the surgery is very quick - horse is generally turned out by 6 weeks with ridden work slowly introduced after that. Surgery, although it may seem drastic is often the best solution as it tends to minimise the risk of arthritis...

I think your best bet is to talk it through with your vet and see what they recomend. no holes bared.