stifle joints

donablue

www.myspace.com
can anyone help me on stifle joints in youngsters please . as my 14 month old filly hers keeps coming out on both legs but not dragging.
she is just lifting them up very high and looks uncomfy

hellybelly6

Visit site
It could be OCD or the start of locking stifles/upward fixation of the patella.

I would get a vet out and have xrays to find out what is happening in there.

Booboos

Visit site
There are quite a few posts on this if you want to do a search you'll get a lot more info, but briefly:

There could be more than one causes of a locking joint. As a general rule if the horse is young and unfit it is likely to be a muscle problem and will improve with exercise, e.g. hill work is good, but you need a gradual programme of work.

An older horse is unlikely to have a muscle problem (even if in light work). My TB had cartiledge degeneration on both stifles and the patella locking was merely a side effect of the underlying problem. He appeared sound, but only because he was bilaterally lame, and we only realised the extent of the problem when he was nerve blocked. The options here are: rest, joint injections and surgery. Surgery has the best prognosis for return to competitive work, 80% chance of recovery to previous level of work.

I would call the vet to have a clear diagnosis but given the age of the horse it is likely to be the first, and much less serious, kind.

shazza283

Visit site
All things to consider - her weight/ condition fitness - foot balance - do her parents have any probs ? I'd def get a vet out - if it's UFP = locking stifles vet should be able to confirm and suggest some things to help - if it is OCD or something more omininous then the sooner you know about it, the better - the earlier you start with treatment the better - had a yearling welsh cob with OCD in hocks - pretty horrendous on X rays - poor prognosis given for surgery - started her on joint supp, good foot trimming - swelling went down within about 6 months - is now 4 and sound and in work - may have a decreased working life but I'm convinced the supp made a diff.
smile.gif
confused.gif
crazy.gif