Still wondering if im crazy

donkeyindisguise

Visit site
Hi, possibly another long one which i apologise for, i tend to type as i think
I posted a week or so ago about my favourite RS beastie and having the opportunity to take her on due to long term diarrhea
well this weekend has been a bit of a rollercoaster for me, i found out that the stables has its vet check for its license this week and that it is most likely they will advise to PTS 'my' pony
Now this is where i need the advice, after listening to everyone telling me she is at her worst and its best for her, i started to agree, and i still cant deny that, (she started passing literally water this week) so i said my goodbyes and been sat trying to console myself. RS owner was kind enough to take what i wanted on board bless him :)
however, now that i really think about it yes she is worse, but the deterioration in her condition ties in exactly with coming off her intolerance feed, and going onto a conditioning feed.
I have had the yards resident angel of death on at me all day saying she thinks it is cancer, and its best for her as she clearly isnt happy, but please correct me if i'm wrong, i dont think a horse with diarrhea for 14 months would still be here if it was cancer....
I have the owners permission to call the vets and speak to her if i wish
Basically i would just like to know again if people think its worth trying, or do i stick with what i decided this morning and let her go now.... :(:(

BonneMaman

Visit site
I know it is hard to come to terms with, but if the vet has said it is for the best then it might be time to say goodbye :-(
Thinking of you both x

be positive

Visit site
It is probably for the best that she is pts as it seems that she is deteriorating.

However having read your previous posts if you really want to give her a chance, you would have to be prepared to make a decision if needed.

Would you be able to keep her somewhere else? I think part of her possible treatment would mean moving to a different environment.

Will the RS give her to you or will they expect money for her? I know someone that had to pay meat money to the RS for her pet pony.

Can you really afford to care for a sick horse that may need a lot of treatment.

So several things to consider, also there are many horses out there needing a good home, maybe think about trying to buy one that is fit and well but still needs someone to love it and move on and let go of your friend.

misst

Visit site
This is only my experience so I may be way off line here....

Our 27yo has had intermittent diarrhoea for some years. She has had samples sent and bloods done and nothing came up and it would resolve after a week or two so we started just ignoring it. She is retired to grass and has a bit of hay/haylage when the weather is bad. She has balancer year round. Connie x Arab mare. A good doer and never overweight but well covered.

This year she started having watery black poos late spring which just never got better. She is grey and we feared melanomas in her gut. Vet came and all the balancers etc never helped, she kept her weight and was bright in herself but her coat was dull and dreadful. PR examination showed normal poo high in the gut but watery poo in the end of the gut. We kept trying diet changes and all sorts of things. We had to wash her twice a day, cream her back end, it was awful and she stunk of "bad poo".
Eventually her bloods came back as IR and cushings. She started pracend and had some more codeine and this time it stopped! Touch wood she has been diarrhoea free since and is off the codeine. Her coat is much better and she is bright as a button:)

I have no idea if this is common or even if cushings was the cause but for now she is fine. She has never had colic symptoms and never seemed in pain.
I wondered if this could be the cause of the your older ponys diarrhoea?

donkeyindisguise

Visit site
Thanks guys, I think now being realistic its The best for her, or I hope so.
It's not entirely my decision to make as she is still the schools, but I Just feel I have failed her, but her treatment wasn't in my hands.
I started to doubt letting her go when I realised the deterioration tied in with the feed change, and although I could move her and experiment with other feeds etc And get a second vet opinion as hers practically wrote her off after only one week on steroids ! But her face yesterday told me she wasn't happy, so maybe letting her go in her home with her friends around her Is the best for her :)

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Thanks guys, I think now being realistic its The best for her, or I hope so.

But her face yesterday told me she wasn't happy, so maybe letting her go in her home with her friends around her Is the best for her :)

If she's not happy then yes you are right that the best decision has been made for. She will know nothing about it.

However I cannot understand why she was taken off the intolerance mix and why having been taken off it, she wasn't put back onto it when she started the diarrhoea. Whatever were the RS owners thinking of?

donkeyindisguise

Visit site
She started to refuse the intolerance mix, well not eat the full massive portion she was being given. But she was the best she has been in months on it though :(

Sherbie

Visit site
no you are not crazy :) , you clearly love and respect this horse very much. I have read your previous posts and my heart goes out to you. It maybe that after all the tests and even knowing that you would be more than willing to take her on and give her as good a life you can, it may not be an option they are willing to explore due to her health. Good luck hun, big hugs x