Stinky Stuff- is it any good?

Fruitcake

Visit site
Horse is really itchy at the moment- mainly under his mane and on his face. I seem to remember him being like this last spring when he was losing his winter coat and then it just seemed to stop but his coat is practically out now. I’m sure it’s not lice or anything as have had a good rummage around. Thought I might give Stinky Stuff a go. Has anyone used it?

showjumpingharry

Visit site
Didn’t do much on the horses at work other than stink and make everything else stink. And good luck getting the smell out of your hands if you forget to wear gloves when applying 😣

Chippers1

Visit site
It worked on mine :) mild sweet itch, last year he rubbed most of the bottom of his mane out, his tail looked like a scrubbing brush and his fly rug made him a sweaty mess and made the top part of his mane fall out plus he had a bald patch on his face from rubbing (with a fly mask on, when he'd keep it on...) so I tried it on a whim and he stopped rubbing almost instantly. His tail grew back very quickly to look normal again, his mane although has taken a while is back to a very full and thick mane and the bald patch on his face grew back in a very short space of time because he was no longer rubbing it.
I stopped using a fly rug and he didn't need it for the rest of summer.
This year I have started using it as a preventative already and if I miss a day he does have a rub on his tail so I apply a light covering every day which I will do until there's less flies around and I'll drop it to every few days.
I think it works depending on what you are using it for, I probably wouldn't use it on bad sweeth itch but for Buzz it has worked.

It does stink though!! My hands and hair often smell like it 😅

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
It is basically Neem oil........... an expensive version of Neem, but basically that is what it is!

Look on e-bay or similar, you'll find Neem on there, MUCH cheaper; you can always mix it with a cheaper carrier oil such as pig oil, or with something like baby lotion which is what I've done in the past.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I know of a pony who was cured of unbearable itching with it, but looking at the ingredients there was nothing there that could not be bought in other products...

HOWEVER...

My dog had awful itchy ears and even the vets with pills and potions could not get top side of it. Because of a recommendation on here about Stinky Stuff ear stuff I bought it and was sad to see that the ingredients did not seem too exciting, but it DID cure his ears when nothing else did.

So if I had an itchy horse I would buy the product!

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
When you buy your neem on ebay make sure you get the cold pressed neem. Some of the neem is chemically extracted and while that is fine for killing bugs in the garden it can cause bad skin reactions as I once found out. There are plenty of people on ebay selling cold pressed organic neem which I find great for coating the sweet itch pony's legs and sheath at a fraction of the price of stinky stuff. It is good on sores too and doesn't sting like a lot of sweet itch creams do as they have benzyl benzoate in which you shouldn't put on broken skin.

Reacher

Visit site
If it’s a sweet itch issue I bought my sweet itch horse leovet power phaser and spray it on his sweet itch rug and he seems much happier happier and not pestered by midgies. I spray it on his fly rug.
(Tried neem oil in past without much effect)

Fruitcake

Visit site
Thanks everyone.
I don’t think it’s sweet itch. He’s not bothering his dock at all and doesn’t seem bothered by midges like my old sweet itch-prone Sec A used to be.

How badly does it actually stink? I do think the whole mixing thing sounds like a bit of a faff but if it’s worth it, I’m willing to give it a go with a mind to maybe trying a cheaper alternative if it works.

flying_high

Visit site
I bought neem oil to use as a fly repellent and diluted it per instructions. And no smell. Bit pointless. Not sure what went wrong.

pippixox

Visit site
I found it a nightmare to mix and apply. Plus stained and made grey mare look terrible. May have helped a tiny bit but not amazing. This year I have a giant bucket of bite back cream and it smells lovely and easy to apply

Fransurrey

Visit site
I buy the cold pressed neem oil in bulk (Mother Nature's Goodies, I think - 5L) and put it out in the sun to melt it. I then pour into an old tub, allow it to set again and use a sponge to apply. Then I like to go straight into Waitrose and enjoy the personal space. Wouldn't bother with Stinky Stuff, as it works out much more expensive. If I'm just riding I don't bother with gloves - in fact I wipe the residue on my arms and neck on bad days!!!

Chippers1

Visit site
It is expensive for Neem oil and a few other ingredients but I've only had to buy one a year, a little bit goes a long way! I'd be willing to try using just plain cold pressed neem but at the moment this works so i'll keep using it for now :)

Fruitcake

Visit site
It really stinks! Could you give him a good bath instead?
I’ve done this but it doesn’t seem to have helped much. :( He has asthma so I’m wondering if it’s a spring allergy thing.

I’ve ordered the trial pack to give it a go. I’m intrigued as to just how stinky it is! I don’t mind fly sprays with neem in them in general, but Power Phaser one actually makes me feel sick! It reminds me of the smell of the Yorvik museum from when I was a kid! I really hope it’s not that kind of smell!

Dave's Mam

Visit site
I buy the cold pressed neem oil in bulk (Mother Nature's Goodies, I think - 5L) and put it out in the sun to melt it. I then pour into an old tub, allow it to set again and use a sponge to apply. Then I like to go straight into Waitrose and enjoy the personal space. Wouldn't bother with Stinky Stuff, as it works out much more expensive. If I'm just riding I don't bother with gloves - in fact I wipe the residue on my arms and neck on bad days!!!

Keeps the beasties & the general public away from you, as well as the ponies. I am fairly sure I am immune to the smell now.

tda

Visit site
I think it smells quite cabbage like, just strange not offensive I don't think.
I got some but its not to be used on pregnant mares, which some of mine are

Puzzled

Visit site
Have you tried Nettex stop itch salve. Found that really good. Will agree with the stinky stuff ear drops though....irks great on my dogs.

Leam_Carrie

Visit site
Used neem on my old horse who had mild sweet itch, then changed to sweet relief products - which were good. One of the best things was regular baths - I used to use head&shoulders or similar. I don’t particularly mind the smell - bit like curried cabbage.

Fruitcake

Visit site
Have you tried Nettex stop itch salve. Found that really good. Will agree with the stinky stuff ear drops though....irks great on my dogs.
I did look at this in the feed shop the other day. Nice to know it's good. Might invest in some too.
Looks like I'll be stinking like burned cabbage then! 😁

shergar

Visit site
Horse is really itchy at the moment- mainly under his mane and on his face. I seem to remember him being like this last spring when he was losing his winter coat and then it just seemed to stop but his coat is practically out now. I’m sure it’s not lice or anything as have had a good rummage around. Thought I might give Stinky Stuff a go. Has anyone used it?
It maybe worth looking at a article on GOOGLE EQUINE NECK THREADWORMS said to be global and often mistaken for sweet itch on neck and face ,worth a read if you have not seen it before .

Fruitcake

Visit site
It maybe worth looking at a article on GOOGLE EQUINE NECK THREADWORMS said to be global and often mistaken for sweet itch on neck and face ,worth a read if you have not seen it before .
Urgh! 🤢 I hadn’t even heard of these before!! It does seem to be just his neck, face and sometimes gullet that appear itchy. I wonder if it might be worth worming with an Ivermectin wormer (or whether an ivermectin injection from the vet might work...). It does say that cases in the U.K. are very rare but many get be worth looking into. Thanks.