Stirrup leathers - super soft ones

MagicMelon

Visit site
So after a tack malfunction in a lesson today where my old stirrup leather snapped... Im on the lookout for some new ones. Havent bought any in years (oops) so what nice soft ones are there out there that arent expensive please (as Ill be buying 2 pairs to have one as a backup, all my other ones are probably ancient enough to be binned now!)?

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
Does your leg tend to backwards or forwards? If the former then double nylon lined calfskin can help, if the latter then mono stirrup leathers.

For the former Henry James are good value but I'm not a fan of the last pair of monos of theirs I saw (about a year old, too bulky).

Cragrat

Visit site
Does your leg tend to backwards or forwards? If the former then double nylon lined calfskin can help, if the latter then mono stirrup leathers.

For the former Henry James are good value but I'm not a fan of the last pair of monos of theirs I saw (about a year old, too bulky).

Sorry to jump im OP - this is very interesting SB! Are you talking about standard width leathers in each case, not the those ultrawide things like Pravins? By mono do you mean the ones that have a hook near the stirrup?

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
Yes, Pravin types are okay but they're usually making up for something not working with the saddle or rider biomechanics. I mean regular 48"-60" type stirrups for all purposes versus those with the loop at the top and buckle towards the bottom, usually used for dressage (partly because t bars aren't really safe for jumping).

The support ie bulk under the rider's leg makes a difference to leg position and stability.

Cragrat

Visit site
Yes, Pravin types are okay but they're usually making up for something not working with the saddle or rider biomechanics. I mean regular 48"-60" type stirrups for all purposes versus those with the loop at the top and buckle towards the bottom, usually used for dressage (partly because t bars aren't really safe for jumping).

The support ie bulk under the rider's leg makes a difference to leg position and stability.
Wow, thank you! I would never have thought of there being such a difference. I have never ridden in mono leathers, but my daughter has a leg forward habit ( mostly delveloped in self defence riding an explosive youngster) so a birthday pair of mono's might help the habit fade :)

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
If my leg were to have a tendency, it would be more forward than back. I have mono leathers and have used them, and noticed no difference, but it's a good idea.

Then again, there are a few reasons as to why ones leg might be more prone to being forward, so there's that too.

Skib

sites.google.com
Expensive, yes. That means I have treasured my leathers. I put leather balsam on them and hang them up by the buckles so when not in use they hang straight down behind the cellar door.

Clovercr58

Visit site
Henry James stirrup leathers are really oily so I would be careful if you have a a brown saddle as ours was really stained due to the excess oil. They are also fairly chunky under the leg. We have changed to Passier ones and really like those

vam

Visit site
I've had Passier and Prestige and would say the Prestige are softer of the 2 but the Passier are not far off so if budget wont stretch to Prestige, i would get the Passier.