Stirrup widths

SpeedyPony

Visit site
I'm curious...
I recently changed my riding boots and discovered my current stirrups (5") are a little too small for the wider tread of the new boots. Not a problem, I thought, I'll buy some 5.5" irons. Swiftly discovered that most of the (plain, steel) irons I could find only went up to 5", eventually found a pair of shires Prussia side irons that go up to 5.5", which I've ordered.
My problem is solved, but it set me wondering, surely most blokes have wider feet than my size sevens? Does anyone else find it difficult getting wide enough stirrups, or do I just have clown feet? ?
(I will add, I didn't look at the fancy all-singing all-dancing irons, I just wanted a bog standard pair)

Cowpony

Visit site
I made my husband get his own stirrups for his riding lessons as I was concerned that he was using the riding school ones, which are aimed at women's foot size. We got them at the Windsor show and I'm not sure what size they are, but he's a lot safer with them. So they do exist, I just can't tell you which retailer we got them from! Sorry

SpeedyPony

Visit site
I made my husband get his own stirrups for his riding lessons as I was concerned that he was using the riding school ones, which are aimed at women's foot size. We got them at the Windsor show and I'm not sure what size they are, but he's a lot safer with them. So they do exist, I just can't tell you which retailer we got them from! Sorry
Glad to know I'm not the only one!

ponios

Visit site
I have a total nightmare with my husband as he has huge feet. I have given up and just bought some tech stirrups that have a safety side so they open to let the foot out, hoping that this means he wont need the extra space on the sides.

Alot of the new fancy stirrups only recommend for use with shoes size 39 (size six i think) and below, that counts me out with size 7 feet.

SpeedyPony

Visit site
I have a total nightmare with my husband as he has huge feet. I have given up and just bought some tech stirrups that have a safety side so they open to let the foot out, hoping that this means he wont need the extra space on the sides.

Alot of the new fancy stirrups only recommend for use with shoes size 39 (size six i think) and below, that counts me out with size 7 feet.
Thanks, it's good to know I'm not alone!
It did seem odd to me that they were all relatively small, I'd have thought there was sufficient demand for wider basic stirrups, particularly for showing/hunting turnout etc.
Blimey, the fancy ones must be even more awkward to find then, I don't imagine there are many men or tall-ish women with size 6 feet!

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I can just about get away with the largest size of Sprenger Bow Balance stirrups (13cm/5 1/8” tread) with my size 9 (o_O) feet in my Ariats, but they are too narrow for my clumpier Australian paddock boots.

I agree that there is not nearly enough choice in wider tread sizes. It was drummed into me as a youngster never to ride in stirrups that are too narrow because of the danger of getting your foot trapped.

SpeedyPony

Visit site
I can just about get away with the largest size of Sprenger Bow Balance stirrups (13cm/5 1/8” tread) with my size 9 (o_O) feet in my Ariats, but they are too narrow for my clumpier Australian paddock boots.

I agree that there is not nearly enough choice in wider tread sizes. It was drummed into me as a youngster never to ride in stirrups that are too narrow because of the danger of getting your foot trapped.
This is what made me order the 5.5" irons, I had a wake up call when dismounting, thought I'd kicked both feet out of stirrups and realised too late offside stirrup had got stuck when I landed on my bum! ? Mercifully pony was just bemused and stood like a rock, but it was a good reminder to a) get bigger stirrups and b) loose stirrups then dismount, not do it all in one movement ?‍♀️