stirrupless riding!

Redwind

Visit site
ive been described as a bit of an odity in that my riding is totaly better without than with, including walk trot n canter and most lateral work, my question is how far can i take this odd trait?

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
ive been described as a bit of an odity in that my riding is totaly better without than with, including walk trot n canter and most lateral work, my question is how far can i take this odd trait?

How long is a peice of string? :D

Why do you think you have an odd trait??

This is how most of my generation learnt to ride... so, go forth and be ummm... normal!

overtherainbow

Visit site
i'm the same, its because i tend to interfere too much if i have them and so taking them away makes me concentrate more. i asked around a bit and there seems to be nothing stopping competing at most places, but it depends on your horse in different envirionments!

tallyho!

Visit site
Just to add.... this is all well and good riding wth no stirrups but have you ridden with no reins?? Now that, is a better trick!!

Redwind

Visit site
i was pretty much stuck on a horse and led out to the courtyard...

still main incentive for me for correct aids was not ride like an american actor! (by reins alone)

traceyann

Visit site
Arh weve all been there my trainer bearing in mind i was six took my stirrups away and put a white feather under my bum and dared me to lose it and if you did god he would shout nowadays its called abuse but you learnt fast

Redwind

Visit site
Strangly enough it was during a punishment cycle of loose your stirrups i found my love of it! now there is no way of disciplining me when i go :D

Least I am eager thou lol

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Just to add.... this is all well and good riding wth no stirrups but have you ridden with no reins?? Now that, is a better trick!!

Do you remember the no stirrups, no reins, and having to jump a course?! Now that was hysterically funny :D:D

Going down a lane of grid jumps, no stirrups, with arms out to the side, reciting nursery rhymes :D:D

Ah the joys of Pony Club :cool::D

Well done Redwind, keep it up :D

Wobblywibble

Visit site
And doing the jumping lane with no stirrups, no reins and a blindfold! On a horse that decided that the 5ft fence of the school was part of the grid? Most entertaining for those watching as we flew over and disappeared down the drop on the other side!!

Rewind, maybe you need to let your stirrups down a hole or two and just pretend they are not there.

jeeve

Visit site
all my kids learnt to ride without stirrups, not so much for balance, although that is a plus - my oldest son when he was 5, fell off his pony. He had stirrups, (the elastic sided ones), but his weight was not sufficient for the stirupps to release so he was hanging upside down from his pony. Fortunately it did not kick at him or run off. After that it was no stirrups for any of the kids for several years. (Until they started pony club.)

Redwind

Visit site
And doing the jumping lane with no stirrups, no reins and a blindfold! On a horse that decided that the 5ft fence of the school was part of the grid? Most entertaining for those watching as we flew over and disappeared down the drop on the other side!!

Rewind, maybe you need to let your stirrups down a hole or two and just pretend they are not there.

Typically i do have long stirrups just that they get in the way all the time, nothing worse than trying to sqeeze a school horse into canter and loosing one! ^_^

Auslander

Visit site
I remember a lady who used to do dressage at (I think) PSG, on a little native pony - who did most of her tests with her feet out of the stirrups. Looked a bit messy, but always thought it was pretty cool that she and her pony were working at that level.

I had to earn my stirrups when I first went to to train in Germany - it took me 3 months without before they thought my seat was developed enough - despite being a reasonably competent Medium level rider. Was a bit challenging on big moving, feisty young warmbloods, but that, combined with several seasons breaking baby racehorses, has made me exceptionally sticky. Does mean that when I do fall off, it tends to be upwards, and at high speed!

aimeetb

Visit site
Tbh I think most people go through that phase, well most I have known or taught, you start off thinking you need your stirrups and can't be without them then prefer riding without them then you will progress to the next stage where it just doesn't matter either way! Xx

Sol

Visit site
Just don't get to the stage where you can't ride WITH stirrups like I almost did... hated it (used to do all of my 1hr30min lessons without) and was a pain - you can't do dressage without apparently! :p

tallyho!

Visit site
Tbh, stirrups are actually a late invention in the history of tack... Off the top of my head I think They were invented by the Chinese and introduced in Europe possibly in middle ages. Proved handy when for jousting and such sports. Indeed, there's whole books on the subject dedicated to it's contribution to civilisation.... Yawn.

So anyway, my point is, before this men n women were riding stirrupless, saddleless, bitless so it's perfectly safe if you ignore the HSE inspector.

In Europe, you would be lucky to be allowed a saddle and bridle when learning before 6months!