Stirrups - (but moving on from the recent new products thread)

gallopingby

Visit site
From time to time people discuss new makes/ types of stirrups. I’m still using my originals probably at least 40 years old, but wondering if the new wide treads really make a difference?
l‘ve looked at a few when out and about but not keen on the ‘cheese grater’ treads, l worry that a foot could become stuck if you wanted to dismount quickly. or had an involuntary dismount! No longer as flexible as l once was but happy enough with traditional stirrups, am l missing something?

mustardsmum

Visit site
I was a bit the same and was quite happy with my old stirrups with rubber grip. My daughter got some of the new cheese graters with safety release and, when I rode in her saddle one day, I found them so comfortable, I ordered a pair for myself. I love them and I certainly find them much more stable and very comfortable. I get ankle and hip pain (I am in my 50s) but I don't get ankle pain with these, no idea why. Having seen the quick release work when daughter had an unplanned dismount recently, I can confirm your foot does not get stuck either by the cheese grater foot bed or by the slightly different design/shape compared to traditional! I am sure there is less chance of my foot slipping through than in traditional irons with rubber treads, which I used to find if I had to get off into mud on a hack, the rubber would fill with mud and be slippery.

MuddyMonster

Visit site
I have a dodgy leg and wide tread shock absorbing stirrups have made such a difference to me.

I used to get pain after 20 minutes riding and now can do 5-6 hours riding, no issues. I do biomechanic stuff too to help my riding strength and position but if I ride in 'normal' stirrups I really feel it!

Meredith

riding reluctantly into the sunset
the sat-nav is wrong, go farther up the hill
Visit site
Suggested brands please and what they help with. Knees, ankles, hips, position, all of the above?

I ride in cheap no-brand ones like the original Sprenger bendy stirrups. They stopped my ankle pain.

Now I am older and less agile anything that helps would be good but the prices are too high to make a mistaken purchase.
Thanks

Cloball

Visit site
I've got compositi reflexes no cheese grater grip either. I have hyper mobile knees and ankles plus a mortons neuroma and always used to end up hurting somewhere and losing my stirrups loads. I don't think I've lost my stirrup once since changing to them. Plus I try and keep my kit lightweight as I ride a pony. I got my on FB marketplace. I've converted my instructor to them as well.

expanding_horizon

Visit site
I think it’s personal. Some prefer flexible, some prefer wide plated and stable. Worth borrowing or trialing before buying.

Personally I like wide grippy tread and stability without flex and ideally a safety release mechanism.

Others find flexibility helps.

I think worth experimenting and worth spending money on as last ages! I bought one pair new and one second hand but see no reason won’t last me more than ten years each.

BSL2

Visit site
I have mdc super sports. Nice wide tread, flexible for experienced (😁) knees. We bought our daughter the venice tech plus evo safety as she does eventing. I wouldn't use what I used 30 years ago again.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
There was another thread on stirrups within the last month or so where I made a few comments, bigger treads good, Flexi less so, all down to proprioception. Ankles should be mobile and that's what's causing some issues, having a Flexi stirrup means the ankles stabilise to compensate which is likely to cause ripple effects up the body, all of which affects the horse as well as us. I know in practice it would be barely noticeable.especially in the short term but ideally fix the ankles via bodyworker, exercises and the right saddle.

Check safety mechanisms reliability carefully, I prefer safety that relies on no mechanism, I love Safestyles for benefiting some, not all, riders but they don't actually have a larger tread.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
I found flexi stirrups by accident and being old my joints were not likely to get any better. When I rode with ordinary stirrups my hips and ankles were sore so for me being a happy hacker and in my 70,s the flexi stirrups were a godsend

Widgeon

Visit site
I've got compositi reflexes no cheese grater grip either.

I have "normal" compositis with a compositi stirrup cage attached, because I hack a lot and because I am a slob and sometimes ride in trainers in the summer. The cage has a wide foot bed with extra tread. The whole setup weighs very little and the stirrups (not the cages) can be picked up for a fiver secondhand. I've been delighted with them and would never go back to heavy, slippery metal stirrups with rubber tread.

southerncomfort

Visit site
I've got compositi reflexes no cheese grater grip either. I have hyper mobile knees and ankles plus a mortons neuroma and always used to end up hurting somewhere and losing my stirrups loads. I don't think I've lost my stirrup once since changing to them. Plus I try and keep my kit lightweight as I ride a pony. I got my on FB marketplace. I've converted my instructor to them as well.

These look a good Cloball.

Do you mind me asking if you've come off since you've had them? Did your feet slide out OK?

ApolloStorm

Visit site
I think it’s personal. Some prefer flexible, some prefer wide plated and stable. Worth borrowing or trialing before buying.

Personally I like wide grippy tread and stability without flex and ideally a safety release mechanism.

Others find flexibility helps.

I think worth experimenting and worth spending money on as last ages! I bought one pair new and one second hand but see no reason won’t last me more than ten years each.

This! I love my Flex-ons, but hated my friends Sprengers as the flexi sides gave me too much ankle rotation!
It’s definitely personal choice but the wide tread is what really made the difference - though I did initially buy some compositi reflexes as I also liked those but after I broke my ankle they just weren’t cutting it anymore!

I can’t ride for more than 10 minutes with a normal pair of irons I am in agony, ankle, knee, hip. But can do long rides with the Flex-ons, I still get some pain after 1.5-2 hours but I can keep going!

sbloom

It's such an individual thing, a colleague and I are wanting to do some work looking at the biomechanics of different stirrups but we've just not had the time yet, or the funds to get hold of stirrups, if anyone has any older but safe fancy design ones they are happy to donate (or sell very cheaply) let me know!

MuddyMonster

Visit site
It's such an individual thing, a colleague and I are wanting to do some work looking at the biomechanics of different stirrups but we've just not had the time yet, or the funds to get hold of stirrups, if anyone has any older but safe fancy design ones they are happy to donate (or sell very cheaply) let me know!

Meg Parkinson from the Aligned Rider Academy has done some work into stirrups and how it affects the rider biomechanics, I think. I didn't catch the webinar so don't know full details I'm afraid.

Meredith

Visit site
There is a lot of food for thought in all the suggestions. Thank you.

I am puzzled however because in my last lesson my instructor told both me and the other rider to ride in ‘neutral position’ of the foot. i.e. heel neither up or down.
If that is the case why do so many modern stirrups have sloping treads?

I am intrigued by the Flex-ons but how on earth do you choose what is the best design for your needs? I am not interested in all the different colours. Although open to new ideas and technology I am very conservative in colour and would run a mile from any bling.

I have tried to look at the Acavello alupro but the website is not co operating! Is the tread sloping or fixed? Does it move backwards and forwards? Although I am learning how to correct this I ride to one side, would I open the safety mechanism inadvertently? Does it catch when you ride in undergrowth? I ride in woods etc alot.

I have no chance of ever seeing any of these before purchase sadly and am reluctant to spend so many pennies on an experiment but would be really happy if they would help my SI discomfort.

Last edited:

expanding_horizon

Visit site

I am puzzled however because in my last lesson my instructor told both me and the other rider to ride in ‘neutral position’ of the foot. i.e. heel neither up or down.

I am intrigued by the Flex-ons but how on earth do you choose what is the best design for your needs? I am not interested in all the different colours. Although open to new ideas and technology I am very conservative in colour and would run a mile from any bling.

I have tried to look at the Acavello alupro but the website is not co operating! Is the tread sloping or fixed? Does it move backwards and forwards? Although I am learning how to correct this I ride to one side, would I open the safety mechanism inadvertently? Does it catch when you ride in undergrowth? I ride in woods etc alot.

I have no chance of ever seeing any of these before purchase sadly and am reluctant to spend so many pennies on an experiment but would be really happy if they would help my SI discomfort.

I have one pair of Acavello alupro that I have had a number of years. Never had release mechanism release in woods / when doing normal stuff. I am pretty crooked and no issues. I think tread is nicely gripy and fixed. I think release mechanism is pretty good.

I bought a second hand pair of tech stirrups (similar but no quick release). I trialled a pair of flex-ons and found no improvement. I then (after falling off) bought a pair of Acavello alupro for my hacking saddle.

I think you need to trial angled / turned in or out / flexible or rigid / grippy or not / wide foot plate or not and see what works for you.

dreamcometrue

Visit site
I have had Venice Tech stirrups for a number of years. They have a wide foot plate with a metal cheese grater tread which makes your foot very secure in the stirrup. I find them very comfortable and I have fallen off a number of times with my feet coming out no problem. The downside I have found is that when mounting, especially from the ground, if my pony moves away or spooks then when I have one foot in the stirrup my foot does not slip out of the stirrup and I am left hopping after her. Could be dicey with a more reactive horse.

Attachments

• IMG_0081.jpeg
    IMG_0081.jpeg
    395.8 KB · Views: 12

mustardsmum

Visit site

I liked the Alupro because they are not blingy, we have the titanium colour and tbh they look smart/subtle and don't yell "I'm a pair of tech stirrups"! The tread is flat, and fixed so doesn't move. The safety mechanism doesn't open as you ride, I ride through thick undergrowth as our bridleways do get very overgrown and no, the stirrups don't catch. The opening mechanism is designed to sit flushed with the rest of the stirrup. The blurb for the stirrups talks about a special spring effect, but nothing moves as such, I think its more that the materials used absorb energy when under stress but I certainly have not noticed the stirrups springing! They are comfortable, and I definitely have less ankle pain than I did using the flexi ones.

sbloom

Meg Parkinson from the Aligned Rider Academy has done some work into stirrups and how it affects the rider biomechanics, I think. I didn't catch the webinar so don't know full details I'm afraid.

Half the equestrian market consists of products that are at best unhelpful, at worst harmful.

Because they haven't a clue, manufacturers make products to fulfill a demand - if riders say they're struggling to get their heels down then they'll make products that (may or may not) help with that, but will cause other issues. I see it all over.

Meredith

Visit site
I liked the Alupro because they are not blingy, we have the titanium colour and tbh they look smart/subtle and don't yell "I'm a pair of tech stirrups"! The tread is flat, and fixed so doesn't move. The safety mechanism doesn't open as you ride, I ride through thick undergrowth as our bridleways do get very overgrown and no, the stirrups don't catch. The opening mechanism is designed to sit flushed with the rest of the stirrup. The blurb for the stirrups talks about a special spring effect, but nothing moves as such, I think its more that the materials used absorb energy when under stress but I certainly have not noticed the stirrups springing! They are comfortable, and I definitely have less ankle pain than I did using the flexi ones.

Thank you that is very useful and informative.

Half the equestrian market consists of products that are at best unhelpful, at worst harmful.

Because they haven't a clue, manufacturers make products to fulfill a demand - if riders say they're struggling to get their heels down then they'll make products that (may or may not) help with that, but will cause other issues. I see it all over.

I think a lighter weight with safety opening and wider tread might be the way to go now both F and I are getting older.

Shoei

Visit site
I have moved from Bow Balance to Flex-On Safe On.

My SIL now has my Bow Balance and likes them for her stiff ankles, where as I have hyper mobile ankles and needed the stability of the Flex On.

Sealine

Visit site
I bought (second hand) Sprenger Bow Balance years ago after I started getting knee pain when riding for long periods of time and they solved the issue for me. I'm a real traditionalist but I like the idea of the lightweight safety stirrups but they are so expensive. I wouldn't want to risk an expensive mistake.

Meredith

Visit site
I bought (second hand) Sprenger Bow Balance years ago after I started getting knee pain when riding for long periods of time and they solved the issue for me. I'm a real traditionalist but I like the idea of the lightweight safety stirrups but they are so expensive. I wouldn't want to risk an expensive mistake.

I feel exactly the same.