Stirrups! Compositi reflex or Sprenger bow balance?

Umbongo

Visit site
I share a horse and ride 2-3 times a week.
I'm the grand old age of 26, however my knees are starting to get a bit sore. I also have a problem with the ball of my right foot.
I therefore am looking for a stirrup which has a wider tread to help distribute the weight a bit more evenly due to my sore foot, and offers something in the way of cushioning for the knees. I will have to change them around every time I ride from the owners normal stirrups, which may be a pain, but I hope will be worth it for my feet and joints!

I thought the compositi reflex stirrups look good and are also well priced. However I know people rave about the sprengers, are they really worth the money?

I have looked into cheaper versions of sprengers but have known a few people buy these and them break whilst riding.

Thank you!

skint1

Visit site
Well, I have bought a pair of Compositi Reflex on the recommendation of my daughter's bf who has a lot of metal work in his leg thanks to a motorbike accident. I haven't actually got to ride in them yet though as my horse had to have 2 weeks off due to an abscess. Hoping to try them soon though, but they look good, nice and light and a very wide tread.

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
They are great, just great., I washed them dried them and oiled them as I was afraid of corrosion, but probably better not to wash, just add oil and wipe clean.
also if you do much out of the saddle use the Ariat Cobalt series, as they also absorb concussion.
You might consider buffalo leathers as they are also "springy", well, for the first twenty years :)

Last edited:

Procrastination

Visit site
I tried the compositi ones but found they didn't make a difference to me. So I bought a pair of Tekna Flex-Tek's, they have the same action as the sprengers and a wide tread, and they are lightweight too which is good for me. I really like them and they have helped with my ankle and knee pain :)

Splashy pony

Visit site
I have Sprengers but it took me a while to like them. They eased my hips and knees but hurt the balls of my feet and made my toes go numb! I seem to have adapted now though. I did accidentally get sent a pair of the Sprenger offset ones which looked really lovely. I was honest and sent them back though.

Tobiano

Visit site
I have Sprengers, and a dicky knee. Was finding my knee getting sore, so I looked around for stirrups that might help, saw the composti ones mentioned on here, couldn't get hold of any so got some Mark Todd Lightweights. They are good, have a wider tread than a normal stirrup, and being lightweight seems to help with knee and ankle pain… but nothing has solved the problem 100%.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
I've got Sprengers bow balance and also JW ones are worth a look. They are cheaper and have a sort of air bubble bit. I use them more than the Sprengers.

siennamiller

Visit site
I found the JW ones to be awful, my toes would go completely numb after 40mins, have just bought sprengers, and love them, they keep my leg in a better position, and toes aren't numb. Rideaway quite often do a 20% code, so they are only £120