Stirrups for Bad Knees

Deano645

Visit site
Hi, I am sure this has been posted lots of times before, I am 42 and finding I am getting painful knees when riding. Has anyone got any recommendations for good stirrups to help alleviate the pain?

TIA

Equi

Visit site
Before you try, try putting your own down a hole. You may just be riding at an uncomfortable height now. I know my knee gets sore when i jump cause my sitrrups are higher.

Kezzabell2

Visit site
I used to ride my mare with flexi irons because I had what felt like, one leg longer than the other, it really hurt my knee and ankle! now I have a different horse, I ride longer, because he's bigger and also he has a different saddle and now my legs are the same length! I actually think my old saddle probably needed to re-flocked!!

Cowpony

Visit site
Shadow Horse shock absorbing stirrups. You don't notice when you're riding, but when you get off you realise your knees don't hurt! :)

Bessi

Visit site
free jumps really helped my dodgy knees and have also been fab now I'm riding again after breaking my ankle.

TheSylv007

www.ridewelland.co.uk
I think anything with a wide footbed will help. I use the Compositi Reflex stirrups as does a friend with arthritis in her knees and feet and she's noticed a real difference. They're only £20 as well.

Sukistokes2

Visit site
Hi, i have a lot of problems with my knees, I always hack a hole down as I find it more comfortable. Be sure to check your stirrup leathers are the same length and have not stretched, that kills you. I also use inserts , foot grips that have a slope and they help.

Branna

Visit site
Sprengers are great but obviously very pricey - I managed to get some second hand. Also bought some Compositi reflex for another saddle and must say I have found them just as good for my knees! They are lightweight which can take getting used to and for this reason I prefer the sprengers, but for the price the Compositi's are definitely worth trying!

Last edited: